Seamus

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Proxima Dreaming
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 53%

Re: Seamus

Post by NetMassimo »

@djr6090 , you make good points. That's good because we all seem to see him as a negative character, but he has some nuances that make discussing him interesting.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

DragonLight877 wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 21:35 Oh I hated Seamus. His whole character was manipulative. He started going out with Bridget to get her to get off the amusement park thing. Then when hes scared because she wont listen, he proposes! For no good reason other than to stop her from working! Nah man, Seamus was an awful dude. Not to mention the end of the book.
thank you! I'm glad others saw him like I did!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

NetMassimo wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 11:51 @djr6090 , you make good points. That's good because we all seem to see him as a negative character, but he has some nuances that make discussing him interesting.
[/quo@DJRad7

That's very true. He acted like he was upset about Bridget but not to the extent most men would be. And what about when Hillary went to Bridget's to see what was on her computer and Seamus came to pick her up. She went into the kitchen to make them a drink and look what happened to the information she had found on the computer! He was more worried about what was on the computer than he was about what happened to his girl-friend!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

wendilou49 wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 23:27 I didn't like him at all. Her had no concern about Bridget's safety, he was just concerned about getting his big bucks. A liar and a skunk!
You are exactly right!
B. Creech
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

B Creech wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 13:26 What is your opinion of Seamus? Good guy or a bad guy? I didn't like him at all. I felt he was greedy. He supposedly loved Bridget but he also wanted his cut of money for the amusement park. He knew Bridget could be in danger when she started getting the dolls. But, he was more focused on getting his money!
I don't like to think that someone is just good or just bad. He definitely didn't have many or any redeeming qualities. But I think he served the purpose of the story with him being greedy to his own harm. Which can be a good lesson for us all.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 08:32
B Creech wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 13:26 What is your opinion of Seamus? Good guy or a bad guy? I didn't like him at all. I felt he was greedy. He supposedly loved Bridget but he also wanted his cut of money for the amusement park. He knew Bridget could be in danger when she started getting the dolls. But, he was more focused on getting his money!
I don't like to think that someone is just good or just bad. He definitely didn't have many or any redeeming qualities. But I think he served the purpose of the story with him being greedy to his own harm. Which can be a good lesson for us all.
Yes, he did serve the purpose of the story. And you are right, his greediness did lead to his own harm. It was like he just spiraled out of control all at once.
B. Creech
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

Seamus was my least favorite character. He was very manipulative and greedy. He was completely a self-serving character.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Julehart1 wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 04:22 Seamus was my least favorite character. He was very manipulative and greedy. He was completely a self-serving character.
That's how I see him, too! Thanks.
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Julehart1 wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 04:22 Seamus was my least favorite character. He was very manipulative and greedy. He was completely a self-serving character.
Thanks! He was my least favorite too!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

cpru68 wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 08:37 He kind of reminded me of Judas from the Bible. On the side betraying her, and then in the end regrets deeply what he has done. Greed is ugly, and unfortunately, he got sucked into it thinking he could get away with more than what he did.
Excellent points! I had not thought about a comparison to Judas, so thanks for sharing that. During the first chapters of the book, I thought he was ok. But when someone started leaving the little dolls in Bridget's driveway I was stunned at how he handled it. After a few dolls, he voiced concern but I never saw any action from him that was protective of her!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

djr6090 wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 10:53 I found him to be more complex than I thought from the earlier parts of the book. It's obvious that his conscience is his undoing. I think he got himself into a situation that he lost control of, but because of his ego, was unable to back away from. He loved Bridget but was unable to protect her. He wanted money but was not ambitious enough to make it on his own. His losses did bring him to a catharsis though, and I liked the author's way of resolving his stresses.
Very well said! I agree that he was not ambitious, he had the 'something for nothing' mentality; the quick fix!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 09:38 I felt pity for Seamus. His character is so wounded by his past family history, he never musters the courage to move beyond that and be the different person that Bridgett saw in him.
Those are excellent points! Thanks for sharing them!
B. Creech
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

djr6090 wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 10:53 I found him to be more complex than I thought from the earlier parts of the book. It's obvious that his conscience is his undoing. I think he got himself into a situation that he lost control of, but because of his ego, was unable to back away from. He loved Bridget but was unable to protect her. He wanted money but was not ambitious enough to make it on his own. His losses did bring him to a catharsis though, and I liked the author's way of resolving his stresses.
I agree he was complex rather than strictly good or bad. His actions were clearly not good, but he did keep trying in his own greedy way (or very nearly homicidal way with Claire) to stop the murders from happening in the first place. He didn’t want people hurt, even though he still wanted his money. In the end he did reveal the whole story to the police.

I certainly don’t forgive his character for his actions, I just acknowledge he’s very flawed and tried to do good in a very messed up way.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 21:07
I agree he was complex rather than strictly good or bad. His actions were clearly not good, but he did keep trying in his own greedy way (or very nearly homicidal way with Claire) to stop the murders from happening in the first place. He didn’t want people hurt, even though he still wanted his money. In the end he did reveal the whole story to the police.

I certainly don’t forgive his character for his actions, I just acknowledge he’s very flawed and tried to do good in a very messed up way.
That was very nicely put.
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

He was totally in it for the money! But he did try to get her to stop following her path. I don’t think he’s totally heartless, but his priority was definitely the money. He knew she was in danger after the phone call with Dermont, but decided he wanted his money. It ends up driving him mad.

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”