History and Mystery

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Re: History and Mystery

Post by vermontelf »

Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 21:19
vermontelf wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 09:42 I do believe the author did a good job with the setting and the people of Ireland. The mystery was dealt with well and nicely pulled in some history. I really enjoyed that aspect, however I was very disappointed by the history that was shared as they toured about museums/monuments. I thought so much more could have bee brought in, even just in the discussions of what to include in the history section of the amusement park. I seem to be one of the only ones saying this, but I thought there was huge potential for history and it was hardly touched upon, and the repetitive story instead of multiple stories, seen while touring, really bothered me. In fact the historical aspect actually made me lose respect for the book.
I thought it was because she was a tourist and they were visiting tourist attractions. How do you think the author could have done it otherwise?
I think it was a good technique but two stories were almost identical, there is plenty of history to have noted a variety.
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

vermontelf wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 17:32
Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 21:19
vermontelf wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 09:42 I do believe the author did a good job with the setting and the people of Ireland. The mystery was dealt with well and nicely pulled in some history. I really enjoyed that aspect, however I was very disappointed by the history that was shared as they toured about museums/monuments. I thought so much more could have bee brought in, even just in the discussions of what to include in the history section of the amusement park. I seem to be one of the only ones saying this, but I thought there was huge potential for history and it was hardly touched upon, and the repetitive story instead of multiple stories, seen while touring, really bothered me. In fact the historical aspect actually made me lose respect for the book.
I thought it was because she was a tourist and they were visiting tourist attractions. How do you think the author could have done it otherwise?
I think it was a good technique but two stories were almost identical, there is plenty of history to have noted a variety.
I did notice the songs were about the people from the memorial-the guy stealing the corn and being kicked out of the country.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

I haven't really been to Ireland or had need to read them up till now. But it seems to me the author did thorough research to balance her narrative with the Irish history.
Herbstlicht
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-herbstlicht.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Herbstlicht »

It's a well written piece, so the author made sure to paint a vivid picture of Ireland. I've never been there, but it sounds just how I imagine it: a blend of exquisite nature with historical sights and melancholy in people's hearts.
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

It's so important that history is portrayed with detail and sensitivity. These narratives hold responsibility for the way people think about different places and people!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Kelyn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Kelyn »

To me, the history given was an added touch by the author. I didn't really expect a deep in-depth dive into history, because it was only part of the story, not the main event if you know what I mean. Yes, much more could have been brought in, and through the discussions might have been an excellent way of doing it. The author was walking a fine line. Too little history and it didn't do Ireland justice, too much, and it risked bogging the story down. To each there own, though. I'm glad you dropped by to share your thoughts with us!
Kelyn

Post by Kelyn »

Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 21:15 I’ve read some history on the famine referenced in the book so that part of it seems true to my own research into it. The rest I guess are from the author’s own travels that are noted in her acknowledgments.

Having recently read a book where a lot of Basque history and lore was interwoven too much I thought this was the right balance for someone who was new to the history of Ireland. If they were interested in more, they could research more in depth with other sources.
It seemed well researched and true to events to me as well. I also have to agree that the author almost certainly used sights and events from her travels to enrich the book. She did have to walk a fine line between putting in so much history that it bogged down the reading and putting just enough in to satisfy the reader. I think she did that well. I’m very interested in folklore though (from just about anywhere), so it’s hard for me to imagine there ever being too much of that!! :lol2: Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!
Kelyn

Post by Kelyn »

Susmita Biswas wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 21:48 I loved the way the author described everything. It was so powerful that I could actually had a clear image.
The author was very vivid in her descriptions, wasn't she! I usually 'see' books in my mind as I read, like a movie, and the author's writing was very conducive to providing clear images for that process. That's something I'm sure she didn't even consider her readers doing, but she certainly made it easier for us nonetheless! Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!
Kelyn

Post by Kelyn »

Ms Vinkel wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 00:05
Kelyn wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 21:17 The best thing about it, though, at least to me, was that history was integrated into the story. It didn't feel in the least like the author was doing a lecture on the history of Ireland.
Thanks! You have reassured me that I won't be bogged down by the facts and skip pages of the book. Just like some of the members, I've also never been to Ireland so I probably won't know the accuracies or any inaccurate details when reading the book.
Glad to be of service! The author was outstanding about not 'separating' the history from the story. She put just enough in to keep us (or me) interested. I haven't been to Ireland (yet) either, but I've read tons about it and the folklore, and I was genuinely impressed with the author's research and care in getting things right. I don't think you'll be needing to skip pages; she keeps it interesting! Thanks for dropping in and sharing your thoughts!
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

I have never been to Ireland, but the country seems to be amazing.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
Drakka Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drakka-reader.html
Latest Review: Eternal Bones by Jon State

Post by Drakka Reader »

I cannot judge by myself. However, the author made efforts to describe everything good and bad. Also, I feel if all the inclusion of description and history was enough to impress a student of the culture, it succeeded.
Kelyn

Post by Kelyn »

LinaMueller wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 12:46 I have never been to Ireland, but the country seems to be amazing.
Drakka Reader wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 10:19 I cannot judge by myself. However, the author made efforts to describe everything good and bad. Also, I feel if all the inclusion of description and history was enough to impress a student of the culture, it succeeded.
Though I have, regretfully, not been there myself (yet), I have done a lot of research, and I agree that it is an amazing country in many ways. The manner in which she wove the descriptions, images, and history into the story was very effective, I thought. I was especially impressed with how she was able to do this while staying respectfully true to the customs and history without sacrificing or 'enhancing' them for the sake of the story. Thanks so much to both of you for stopping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I think the allusion to the great Irish famine is one such depiction of an aspect of Irish history that is well known and referenced in many books on Ireland.
Kelyn

Post by Kelyn »

Wyland wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 06:29 I think the allusion to the great Irish famine is one such depiction of an aspect of Irish history that is well known and referenced in many books on Ireland.
True that the "Great Hunger" is one of the most widely known aspects of Irish history...on the surface level. However, not many people know much (if any) detail about it whatsoever except that people were starving because potatoes were rotting in the ground...if they even know that much. The author helped shine a bit more light on the subject to provide readers with a little more depth about the famine and the people who suffered through it than they would have had otherwise.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I don't know much about Ireland, but I thought this book was a fascinating cultural journey that made me interested in learning more. It certainly seems very well researched. As for the mystery aspect, I did like how everything was set up, but the ending felt somewhat lackluster.

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”