Seamus

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
Wacamato1961
Currently Reading: Apex Five
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wacamato1961.html
Latest Review: The Neighbour At Number 18 (Reload) by Hawa Crickmore

Re: Seamus

Post by Wacamato1961 »

I didn't hate Seamus, I thought he was greatly conflicted. Sure, he took little responsibility for Bridget's death and cared a lot about money, but in his mind he needed to somehow show his long-dead mother that he was not a failure. He was wishy-washy, as I can be sometimes, and lacked solid morals, but he was unstable and in the end completely "over the edge"!
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Fazzier wrote: 11 Mar 2020, 03:07 Seamus is definitely a bad guy. He is Dermot's project, and he doesn't reveal his true intentions to Bridget. Anyway, Bridget's charm is confusing him.
I agree that Bridgett's charm was confusing him. He was all about getting his payday from Dermot!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

lwahls2 wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 20:26 Greedy, arrogant and totally unlikeable. I was not a fan of Seamus at all. And I would argue that he never loved Bridget truly.
I have to agree with your argument that Seamus never really loved Bridgett. If he did he would have protected her.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
kmittag67
Favorite Author: Jim Butcher
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmittag67.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 2907

Post by kmittag67 »

I don't think Seamus was a truly bad guy. He just was not a very nice one. Unfortunately, he became involved with an unscrupulous man who offered him hope and dreams of a better future. I believe he did care for Bridget but didn't realize the fact until it was too late. She had been murdered. Instead of changing, he continued to make bad decisions. He was unable to move forward as a good person.
Anyone who has time to clean is not reading nearly enough :wink:
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

I think Seamus might have starting dating his current girlfriend way before his current ordeal. I also think he wants to keep both his relationship with his girlfriend and the business deal with the mafia boss.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

CYSON DOROPH wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 07:38 I think Seamus might have starting dating his current girlfriend way before his current ordeal. I also think he wants to keep both his relationship with his girlfriend and the business deal with the mafia boss.
You are probably right. Eat your cake and have it :lol2:
MirageParul
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miragep.html
Latest Review: Hello God Where Are You by Sherryann Philogene
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by MirageParul »

B Creech wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 13:26 What is your opinion of Seamus? Good guy or a bad guy? I didn't like him at all. I felt he was greedy. He supposedly loved Bridget but he also wanted his cut of money for the amusement park. He knew Bridget could be in danger when she started getting the dolls. But, he was more focused on getting his money!
Seamus was worse than the awful developer he was working for.
Not only was he a villain, he was bad at it! He did everything half-heartedly. And he was a coward, thinking himself in love with Bridget, but unable to act decisively for her protection.
"I've realised that anyone can be a critic but it takes a remarkable person to offer praise."
-Louise Penny, in the acknowledgements section of "Still Life"
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

MirageP wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 09:31
B Creech wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 13:26 What is your opinion of Seamus? Good guy or a bad guy? I didn't like him at all. I felt he was greedy. He supposedly loved Bridget but he also wanted his cut of money for the amusement park. He knew Bridget could be in danger when she started getting the dolls. But, he was more focused on getting his money!
Seamus was worse than the awful developer he was working for.
Not only was he a villain, he was bad at it! He did everything half-heartedly. And he was a coward, thinking himself in love with Bridget, but unable to act decisively for her protection.
That's so true, he was bad at it! I also thought it was cowardly of him for not protecting Bridget.
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

aacodreanu wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 08:29
CYSON DOROPH wrote: 13 Mar 2020, 07:38 I think Seamus might have starting dating his current girlfriend way before his current ordeal. I also think he wants to keep both his relationship with his girlfriend and the business deal with the mafia boss.
You are probably right. Eat your cake and have it :lol2:
I agree, he wanted it both ways.
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

kmittag67 wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 22:29 I don't think Seamus was a truly bad guy. He just was not a very nice one. Unfortunately, he became involved with an unscrupulous man who offered him hope and dreams of a better future. I believe he did care for Bridget but didn't realize the fact until it was too late. She had been murdered. Instead of changing, he continued to make bad decisions. He was unable to move forward as a good person.
Greed can change a person into someone they don't even recognize! He ended up losing both ways in the end, he lost Bridget and he didn't get the money.
B. Creech
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

I think Seamus childhood impacted his bad decisions. He wanted to make something of himself to prove to himself he was just as good as his older brother. I think he started out as a good person who got caught up in proving himself. After awhile I think he just went insane because of the guilt he was carrying around.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

Seamus is quite an interesting character, full of contradictions. I wouldn't say he's a good guy or a bad guy, really, just a very flawed human being caught in some shady business from which he could no longer escape.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

Tomah wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 02:17 Seamus is quite an interesting character, full of contradictions. I wouldn't say he's a good guy or a bad guy, really, just a very flawed human being caught in some shady business from which he could no longer escape.
I think you have described him quite well. Anybody could be caught in such a trap if they are not paying attention. Money combined with fear, it is hard to resist such a combination.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Namaste23 wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 00:03 I think Seamus childhood impacted his bad decisions. He wanted to make something of himself to prove to himself he was just as good as his older brother. I think he started out as a good person who got caught up in proving himself. After awhile I think he just went insane because of the guilt he was carrying around.
I agree, I think he started out as a good guy. He fell into the trap of Dermot and dollar signs got in his head and he got in deeper than he imagined he would. It is hard to get out of a web once you are caught!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

aacodreanu wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 03:50
Tomah wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 02:17 Seamus is quite an interesting character, full of contradictions. I wouldn't say he's a good guy or a bad guy, really, just a very flawed human being caught in some shady business from which he could no longer escape.
I think you have described him quite well. Anybody could be caught in such a trap if they are not paying attention. Money combined with fear, it is hard to resist such a combination.
Yes, I agree with this. He stepped in with both feet before he thought it through and then he felt stuck.
B. Creech

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”