Overall rating and opinion of "House of Eire" by June Gillam

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
Anindita Roy
Currently Reading: The God of Small Things
Bookshelf Size: 15

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "House of Eire" by June Gillam

Post by Anindita Roy »

Thank you for the brilliant and insightful review. Your review has captivated me already. I can't wait to read this book! The interesting plot sparks curiosity. "House of Eire" seems to be an exciting story of emotional tensions and suspense. The plot has an abundance of events and situations which make us more inquisitive about what is to follow. The novel is infused with realism. The author seems to be a delineator of character. I love how some authors have an unparalleled power of putting themselves in other people's shoes, and of understanding other people's lives, thoughts and business.Hillary Broome's mind has been analysed minutely. In the portrayal of Claire, the author has given us an authentic picture of childhood. The story has a universal appeal for the juvenile and adult minds.
hasincla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hasincla.html
Latest Review: Fortune Cats with Full Tummies by Dave Hutchinson

Post by hasincla »

I'm considering reading this book, and from the reviews it sounds like you DON'T have to read the first few books in the series to get into it, and I can expect a slow start and a great finish. I don't know much about Ireland or Irish folklore, so I think this would be an especially good read for me. Thank you to all reviewers for your comments!
ZettieOby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by ZettieOby »

From what I have read here, I love the mother daughter relationship between Hillary and Claire. I like the fact that she did not allow her past affect the way raised her daughter.
Alexandra1234
Currently Reading: The Cult Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexandra1234.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Alexandra1234 »

After reading all the good opinions about this book, I would like to give it a go. The fact that it is a mistery set in Ireland, is a very big plus. I absolutely adore Ireland and Irish folklore. I'm really looking forward to reading it.
'' A book is a dream you hold in your hand.'' - Neil Gaiman
Marshal mutai
Currently Reading: The Sojourners
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marshal-mutai.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Post by Marshal mutai »

The relationship between Hillary and Claire is so enthralling. I also loved the setting of the book, Ireland as it is a region I am always keen to exploit even on the internet. I give it a 3 out 4 rating
_Lindsey_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey.html
Latest Review: The Curl by Raymond George Ward

Post by _Lindsey_ »

I always really enjoy reading books set in Ireland and it sounds like an excellent story. I really want to read it.
timd
Favorite Book: The Rim of Space
Currently Reading: Making Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timd.html
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Post by timd »

I really enjoyed the complete Irish atmosphere in this book. Not only were the characters authentically and typically Irish, but the locations and settings were marvellously descriptive as well. The old buildings as well as the combination of more modern elements added a mystery as well as a chill to the story, which I found highly absorbing. I feel almost as if I have visited Ireland myself, after reading this book.
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited
Faridah Mwilson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faridah-mwilson.html
Latest Review: A Woman to Blame by Vincent Panettiere

Post by Faridah Mwilson »

I hear it offers strong character development, also the author skillfully weaves a discussion of Ireland’s social and political problems, both past and present, into her story. The conflict between past heritage and the need to modernize is central to the story. It can also prove to be very thought-provoking to the prospective reader as well.
ThomasCShearman1976
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thomascshearman1976.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ThomasCShearman1976 »

I've just finished reading and reviewing this book. I have it three out of four stars. The story was compelling, albeit with some bumps along the way.

My main issue with giving it four stars is that I think it was expressly written for a North American/never visited Ireland market. Some of the touring around Ireland is nice enough, it just felt the author had maybe been on holiday for two weeks and was cramming that into the novel, and that contributed to some of the clunkiness in the plot.

I thought the set-up itself was good, the mother/daughter and the Irish American themes were well represented, and it would make a good murder mystery show for TV.

Gillam's writing is much stronger on subjects I assume she is more familiar with e.g. U.S. locations in this case. I really enjoyed the opening chapters and she expressed herself much more poetically and confidently here.
Glory Oghenerukevwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-glory-oghenerukevwe.html
Latest Review: Junk Justice by Gerry Rising

Post by Glory Oghenerukevwe »

The book was a very interesting read with a captivating plot that taught a lot of vital life lessons. Considering that it's part of a series but can also be read alone and the addition of Irish folklore and historical facts, I can give this book a 4 out of 4 stars.
ThomasCShearman1976
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thomascshearman1976.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ThomasCShearman1976 »

The more I chat with folk about this book, the more I wonder if it was more a two than a three out of four star book.

I find I want to give a lot of books 2.5! :)
bjoly2
Currently Reading: Never Eat Alone
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bjoly2.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by bjoly2 »

I gave this book 3 out of 4 stars. It was slow to start and felt highly predictable. I also struggled to connect to the main character, Hillary. Claire was by far the best character in this book, and the author perfectly captured her sweet childhood innocence.

I was most captivated by the images the author painted of Irish landmarks and the way she was able to depict the struggles of historical significance. The book left me wanting to research to understand more about the Great Famine and the plight of the Irish that often gets overshadowed by four-leaf clovers and leprechauns.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

I just finished reading this book. I enjoyed the story and liked the historical aspects of Ireland in the book. It kept me engaged throughout the story.
LinaJan
Favorite Author: Connor Mackay
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 275
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linajan.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
fav_author_id: 197769

Post by LinaJan »

I found the book a little disappointing. Whilst I loved the way the author managed to immerse me in all things Irish - I felt like I was there - I found that the character development was inconsistent. She did a great job developing Hillary's character and those of others through Hillary's prism, but some bits felt strained and rushed, for example, Hillary's emotions and her dealing with Sarah's murder. I appreciate her reaction and actions could be attributed to shock (that's my personal inference) but still, considering how well the author managed to convey Hillary's emotions and thoughts on other occasions, this felt rushed and incomplete. Similar with when Seamus abducted her daughter.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

Mounce574 wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 01:18 I liked the book but it was a bit of a struggle to read due to the slow start. Claire definitely brought a bit of light to the darkness of the overall story. I have read the other books in the series but I found that each book is capable of being a standalone novel.
I have the same feeling about this book. It is a slow start and I feel the author put too much at the beginning. I also like Claire the little girl who is just like a little sunshine.

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”