Overall rating and opinion of "House of Eire" by June Gillam

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
alicia_fountain
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =8717">The Brothers Karamazov</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia-fountain.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "House of Eire" by June Gillam

Post by alicia_fountain »

wendilou49 wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 04:57 Ii enjoyed reading this book. I loved the intermingling of Irish history and folklore with a good mystery! I loved the relationships in this book, especially Hillary's with her daughter Claire. They were so sweet and honest with each other. The beginning of this book was a little slow. Too much time getting ready to go instead of going and doing. I rated House of Eire 3 it of 4 stars because of the slow take off. I liked to get pulled into a story right away!
Hi,

I think it is interesting that you have that kind of take on a story. I finished reading a book a couple days ago that felt like the story moved too fast all the time. There wasn't much downtime between action scenes to really get to know the characters, so it felt kind of shallow. Personally, I prefer to read an overly flowery (read: wordy) book than one that doesn't delve enough into the story to really feel like it is real!

Thank you for your insight!
wendilou49
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: So Into Her
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendilou49.html
Latest Review: Blossom ~ The Wild Ambassador of Tewksbury by Anna Carner
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by wendilou49 »

That's interesting, we have totally different views on there subject. The difference for me is if I'm reading for pleasure, I like it to move along. But reading to learn had to be slower so I can absorb. Thanks for your input@
Bukola02
Currently Reading: Prince Player
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukola02.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Bukola02 »

I enjoyed this book. I loved that it filled with suspense and has very interesting characters. The history of the Irish people was also a plus for me. I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. the
Falling4Ever
Currently Reading: Titans
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falling4ever.html
Latest Review: G.E.M.S. by Daphne Valcourt

Post by Falling4Ever »

I loved Claire’s character development and how she goes about in situations. I also loved the fast pacing, although it might not be for everyone. The integration of the Irish history and culture is amazing.
Nessa_girl78
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nessa-girl78.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Nessa_girl78 »

I really enjoyed this book, especially the Irish history. Makes me want to know more! Just the right amount of suspense in this novel, I loved it.
Zoe Luh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoe-luh.html
Latest Review: Moon Magic by Charli Elizabeth

Post by Zoe Luh »

I had trouble getting into this book because it had such a slow start. That being said, once I did get into it I really enjoyed it! Loved the historical context and emphasis on familial relations. I wish I'd read the other books in the series first, maybe I would have been invested more quickly if I had. Overall enjoyed reading "House of Fire" and give it a 3 out of 4 stars.
Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

The book is quite commendable. I applaud how the author was able to drive home the storyline. It came with a touch of uncertainty and conspiracy. The characters were exciting, and I loved the narrative of the Irish people, even though much of it is quite tragic. Overall I would give this book 4 out of 4 stars.
jdsatosk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdsatosk.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by jdsatosk »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 05:20 I gave this book 4 our of 4 stars. It wasn’t a perfect read but everything worked out well. It has only one grammar mistake - that I could find. I liked the themes of motherhood, family and heritage mixed with Irish folklore. It fitted well with murder mystery. It took me longer to connect with it which maybe is do to the fact that this is third book in the series. Recommend it to the fans of murder mystery with some myths tales incorporated in it and cast of interesting female characters.
I haven’t read this yet and it is on my list to read. Do you think this could be read without reading the first two books? Or would you recommend reading them in order?
Princepetr
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-princepetr.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Princepetr »

This book is in a 4 out of 4 star class. It was professionally edited and errors where badly found. This book is recommended for people who loves thrillers and this type of genre. They will enjoy the story line.
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

The comments here suggest good read for me. I've not been oportuned to review the book and hope to get it reviewed also
sofiak
Currently Reading: The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sofiak.html
Latest Review: Undetected by Jeffrey Marshall

Post by sofiak »

I just started reading this and I could not have picked a better book. I'm flying to Ireland in a couple of months and this book is just so fitting. I love the Irish culture and the storyline is really captivating so far. Looking forward to reading the rest.
Michael I
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-i.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Michael I »

It was a slow burn, but provided good history about Ireland and I like the characters a lot. I would like to read more from this author. Her prose was fantastic and the characters were relatable.
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

The book is an interesting one for anyone to read. The great interpersonal relationship among the characters attest to the ingenuity of the author as regards a good character development. Hillary remains the stand out character and from her standpoint the author achieve the relatability and fluidity a book of this nature should have.

With a good blend of the Irish history and culture, and the bright stage Claire brought in, I can simply rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.
GiselleBengochea
Currently Reading: Nathan Turner and the New World Order
Bookshelf Size: 1720
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gisellebengochea.html
Latest Review: Terror In Manila by Frank Q. Aurillo Jr

Post by GiselleBengochea »

The House of Eire by June Gillam is a composite of Irish ancestry, intertwined with a bit of folklore and generally a great mystery. The build up to the narrative at the beginning is a bit slow, but this does not detract from the story line. The book also focuses on honesty and openness in comminication which is exemplified in the relationship between Hillary and her daughter Clare.
Excellent storyline!
GiselleBengochea
Currently Reading: Nathan Turner and the New World Order
Bookshelf Size: 1720
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gisellebengochea.html
Latest Review: Terror In Manila by Frank Q. Aurillo Jr

Post by GiselleBengochea »

The House of Eire by June Gillam is a composite of Irish ancestry, intertwined with a bit of folklore and generally a great mystery. The build up to the narrative at the beginning is a bit slow, but this does not detract from the story line. The book also focuses on honesty and openness in comminication which is exemplified in the relationship between Hillary and her daughter Clare.
Excellent storyline! I rate this book as 4 out of 4.

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”