Overall rating and opinion of "House of Eire" by June Gillam

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
OJ Duogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oj-duogo.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "House of Eire" by June Gillam

Post by OJ Duogo »

I gave this book 4 out of 4 stars as I enjoyed the story and the characters. I loved the relationships in this book, especially Hillary's with her daughter Claire. They were so sweet and honest with each other. There were some parts of the book that I did not like; Hillary leaving Claire alone sleeping while she knows that there is a murderer on the loose.
Coud
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-coud.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Coud »

I love Irish history so of course this book was very interesting to me. Specially because many things were unexpected I hope I see more from this author in the future
anoushka_thakur
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 72
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anoushka-thakur.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by anoushka_thakur »

I haven't yet read the book but I didn't find this book according to my liking. After I read its review, I concluded that this isn't meant for me!
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Rukitejevbo02
Currently Reading: The Maid
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rukitejevbo02.html
Latest Review: Faults by Orion Gregory

Post by Rukitejevbo02 »

This sounds like something I would love. (I am yet to read it.)
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I am a great fan of mystery and suspense books. I enjoy reading them a lot. I’m sure this book is gonna be great. I’m looking forward to read it as soon as possible.
Medo12
Currently Reading: The Biblical Clock
Bookshelf Size: 24

Post by Medo12 »

I looked at the book as a separate standalone and from that perspective, the novel and its plots are simple yet stunning. But when I say 'plots', I mean the two different things that the story focuses on and somewhere halfway through, the beginning is swiped down on the priority list only to be brought in to tie up the loose ends later on. But the overall tone and mood of the book more than makes up for this lapse. It is emotional, it is poignant and at the same time, enough to generate and keep the interest going until the last page. Having read all the books together, I would really like to read the next book in this set that comes along because Hillary as a character has got a niche for herself in my mind, thanks to June's carefully constructed writing. :ugeek2:
rdrumsey
Favorite Book: Korian
Currently Reading: Shadow Eclipse Voyage
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rdrumsey.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by rdrumsey »

I gave this book a 3 out 4 stars. I found the story progressed slower than I preferred. I was unable to connect with most of the characters. The Irish history was fascinating, and the author had a few pages of suspense that intrigued me. I don’t know, maybe it would make a difference if I had read the prior books.
Mrunalpatki
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrunalpatki.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Mrunalpatki »

I would definitely recommend this book to mystery fans. Although I wasn't very happy with the end of the book it is an excellently written book with great character development and fascination description of the Irish countryside.
Think before you review. Read before you think. :techie-studyinggray:
Amy Murdoch Coleman
Favorite Book: Circe
Currently Reading: Hannah's War
Bookshelf Size: 6988
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-murdoch-coleman.html
Latest Review: Caretaker by George Farrell

Post by Amy Murdoch Coleman »

I won't even be able to give this book a proper rating because I wasn't able to get very far into it. The beginning was so sluggish, and I really dislike having to force myself to read.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I really wanna know more about Irish culture. But I have heard that the beginning of the story is very slow and boring. Now I am thinking whether to read it or not.
blackpinkpurple
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackpinkpurple.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by blackpinkpurple »

It is a fantastic book filled with Irish history and folklore. It has interesting historical stories of Ireland. Little tit bits of history are thrown here and there. The pace was slow at the beginning but it picked up later. I liked the realistic portrayal of Claire, who had her cute as well as whiny moments. It shows that the author pays attention to minute details and tries to show everything in a real light. The character development of Hillary was amazing. Hillary came from a difficult childhood but when it came to her daughter, she is always there for her. She stands as a strong inspiration for her daughter. The familial relationships were similar to how it is in reality. The support that Ed has shown for his wife is refreshing. Sarah is a doting grandmother and a maternal figure for Hillary.

I extremely enjoyed reading this book so I give it 4 out of 4 stars. It has given me a lot of interesting information about Ireland. This book is perfect for mystery lovers.
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

At the beginning the book had a bit of a slow start but it picked up. Plus I really like the storyline and the characters added heart to the story. I'd give it a 3 out of 4
Tonika632
Currently Reading: White Night
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tonika632.html
Latest Review: Chemicals and Christians by Martha McLaughlin

Post by Tonika632 »

I am yet to read this book but there are many positive reviews of it. I think that slow start will bother me a but but I can get over that.
Tan TR
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tan-tr.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tan TR »

I honestly didn’t enjoy it. I rated it two out of four stars, but only because it was written well. It was way too heavy on description and it always felt like it was going nowhere. It only started to get interesting until the middle, but then it slowed down again till the very end. I would have normally not finished the book.
inmod
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inmod.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by inmod »

I have yet to read this book. Based on the comments here, it sounds like a good read. Would like to read it someday!

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”