Overall rating and opinion of "House of Eire" by June Gillam

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
Sydney Nyamasoka
Currently Reading: The 1000 most important questions you will ever ask yourself
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-nyamasoka.html
Latest Review: The Harder I Fall, The Higher I Bounce by Max James

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "House of Eire" by June Gillam

Post by Sydney Nyamasoka »

I have not yet read the book. I have just noticed that it is the third book in a series. I am not sure if it can be read as a stand-alone narrative since there's some history, presumably in the prior two books, from which dots may be more easily connected. Murder mystery stories make the mind inquisitive, this would be an interesting book.
Search for, and find, real meaning in life and live purposefully.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

Sydney Nyamasoka wrote: 22 May 2020, 04:02 I have not yet read the book. I have just noticed that it is the third book in a series. I am not sure if it can be read as a stand-alone narrative since there's some history, presumably in the prior two books, from which dots may be more easily connected. Murder mystery stories make the mind inquisitive, this would be an interesting book.
I think most of us here read it as a stand-alone novel. In the end, I had no problems in understanding the characters.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Sydney Nyamasoka
Currently Reading: The 1000 most important questions you will ever ask yourself
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sydney-nyamasoka.html
Latest Review: The Harder I Fall, The Higher I Bounce by Max James

Post by Sydney Nyamasoka »

NetMassimo wrote: 22 May 2020, 07:33
Sydney Nyamasoka wrote: 22 May 2020, 04:02 I have not yet read the book. I have just noticed that it is the third book in a series. I am not sure if it can be read as a stand-alone narrative since there's some history, presumably in the prior two books, from which dots may be more easily connected. Murder mystery stories make the mind inquisitive, this would be an interesting book.
I think most of us here read it as a stand-alone novel. In the end, I had no problems in understanding the characters.
Thanks NetMassimo, noted.
Search for, and find, real meaning in life and live purposefully.
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

The suspense does it for me. I like how Claire affected the story. I haven't read the other books in the series and I still rate it high.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
Barbie_sidhu
Currently Reading: Strong heart
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbie-sidhu.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Barbie_sidhu »

Tried reading the first book and i didn’t like it so i don’t think this my kind.
Bukola02
Currently Reading: Prince Player
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukola02.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Bukola02 »

I enjoyed reading this book it's very entertaining. I loved that it had history lessons about Ireland. The characters were well developed and interesting. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.
rhendel
Currently Reading: Talking As Fast As I Can
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rhendel.html
Latest Review: Waterworks by Jack Winnick

Post by rhendel »

NetMassimo wrote: 22 May 2020, 07:33
Very good to know! I spent time in Ireland last year and got to learn a bit about the folklore, so I’m excited to read more about it! Very happy to know I don’t need to read the other two installments first!
Timothy Rucinski
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Dead Bob
Currently Reading: The Nutmeg of Consolation
Bookshelf Size: 605
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timothy-rucinski.html
Latest Review: The Socratic Contract by D C Russell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 81
2024 Goal Completion: 24%

Post by Timothy Rucinski »

I thoroughly enjoyed the book. At times, it came across as a bit of fluff, focusing on the mundane activities of daily family life. But on the other hand, it is so finely crafted that once it takes off, it’s an easy glide to the conclusion. Personally, I just couldn’t get enough of Hillary and look forward to acquiring the previous works in the series to accompany me in the reading nook by the fire.
Nelson Chocha
Favorite Author: Jack Winnick
Favorite Book: G.A.S. & Dementia
Currently Reading: ABM is B2B
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nelson-chocha.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
fav_author_id: 77547

Post by Nelson Chocha »

The book takes a bit of time to get going but the momentum and the suspense is build steadily. And the author has created a striking protagonist. I enjoyed reading House of Eire, my rate for this book is 4 out of 4 stars.
Faithful Oso
Currently Reading: Provoked To Anger
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Faithful Oso »

Though the beginning of this book almost turned me off but as i went deeper into the book i fell in love with it especially the relationship between Hillary and Claire, i pictured each chapter while reading. I find this book intriguing it deserves a 4 out of 4 star.
Kemmy11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemmy11.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Kemmy11 »

I will rate this book 4 out of 4 stars because it captured my attention. I also learnt a few things about Ireland in the book. I also enjoyed Hillary and Claire's relationship.
abhibilala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by abhibilala »

It wasn’t a perfect read according to how much I have read the book. I am halfway through, but everything is working out well. It hardly has any grammatical or editorial mistakes. I liked the themes of motherhood that is mixed with the Irish folklore. Since it is the third book in the series, it got a little difficult for me. Although it is a great read for someone who likes murder mystery.
ZettieOby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by ZettieOby »

Although I haven't the book, the review and comments on it makes alluring.
Michael40
Favorite Book: The Warramunga's War
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 209
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael40.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Michael40 »

I haven't read the book , for I haven't read in a long while. That I will redeem soon. But having read some reviews, I realized that the characters are lively.
Miller56
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miller56.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Miller56 »

This is one of the books I have been meaning to read. The reviews are all positive. I look forward to reading it soon.

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”