Overall rating and opinion of "House of Eire" by June Gillam

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
kperm
Currently Reading: Harry Potter The Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kperm.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "House of Fire" by June Gillam

Post by kperm »

Twylla wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 09:03 It is a great story, and it includes some interesting history lessons about the country of Ireland. I liked the historical facts included in the story. My favorite line in the book was when Bridget said, “A famine is when there isn’t enough food. ‘A Great Hunger’ is what it really was. Thousands were forced to starve.” Bridget felt like the people of Ireland deserved to know the truth behind the suffering and anguish the country had been through.
I liked the fact that the author included Irish history in the book. I think that it made the book much more interesting and real.
kperm
Currently Reading: Harry Potter The Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kperm.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by kperm »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 11:00 I am still in the progress of reading it, but so far, I have found the dreams that Hillary has been having quite intriguing, and I have a feeling that they are going to play a significant role in the whole book. I am hoping to travel to Ireland in the next little while and hopefully find some information on my ancestors, so this book definitely came at the right time.

I am enjoying her close-knit relationship with Hillary and Clare and the dynamic between her and her husband.
I am giving it a 4 out of 4 stars.
I agree that Hillary's dreams are intriguing. I think they added a little bit of suspense to the book. I also enjoyed the fact that the author included Irish history in the book.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

I am almost done with it. I am going to give it four stars. It was very well written.
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

I absolutely loved House of Eire! It was one of my favorite recent reads and I can't say enough about it. It made me want to visit Ireland so badly. And also read the rest of the books in the series.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
kimberlyrascon
Favorite Book: Fix
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 131

Post by kimberlyrascon »

Very interesting to read about that alongside a murder mystery. I really enjoyed how this author had the main character having dreams of her mother, then she uses this as a string to keep us moving along with that character's development. I also thought the way that the scenes of Ireland were described was great. So, I would rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. I will send it out on my social media for others to look into.
Last edited by kimberlyrascon on 09 Mar 2020, 00:19, edited 1 time in total.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

This book deserves to be book of the month. The writing was great. The characters were developed well. Kudos to the author for putting this great piece together.
writestuff
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writestuff.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by writestuff »

I've read the samples and have started reading the book. The pace is a bit slow but with likable characters(mostly) and ghosts, I have so much to look forward to.
Vivienne2000
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivienne2000.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by Vivienne2000 »

I would rate this book 4 out of 4. The book is so well developed and has no instance of fast tracking. I loved how the author described Claire's feelings and small attributes that I even feel like I know her personally as a real person. The author managed to capture my mind throughout the book till the end. I could not believe it when I found I was on the last page. It was so enticing and also thrilling. I loved my adrenaline rush when reading some of the parts. Very great Job!!
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

I haven't read this book yet, but these glowing reviews are making me want to read it!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Not a big fan of slowly moving narrations but the book is still worth reading because of a very interesting history background, in my opinion :)
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I rated it 4 out of 4 stars. I enjoyed the mystery involving family secrets, and the strong characterization.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

Throughout the reading, I was waiting for closure in the matter of Hillary's mother, and I was happy to find, finally, that the next book in the series will shed some light on it.
The book is not too bad, the main disappointment was that the characters were sort of diluted, not enough consistency to my taste.
I would rate the book at three out of four stars, mostly because of the local color of Eire.
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

I'm intrigued by all of these high ratings and praises of this book. Irish folklore and a mystery sounds exciting! I can't wait to read it!
shannonkate8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonkate8.html
Latest Review: Ivan and the Silver Seeds by Ivy Lin and Walter Sattazahn

Post by shannonkate8 »

I really enjoyed this book. I'm just finishing up my review for it and am going to give it 4 out of 4 stars! I think the best part is when the book is well-edited and written and you're not taken out of the story.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle
ninski
Favorite Book: Doctor Jekyll and Mr Hyde
Currently Reading: Fix
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ninski.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ninski »

Barbara6886 wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 15:31 The character of Hillary I found to be self-centered. She repeatedly puts her own wants before everyone else’s
You are so right, I was struck by how selfish Hillary seemed. Which made it difficult for me to like her and root for her. I even lost the will for a little bit and put the book down as it didn´t seem to matter to me much what happened to anyone one way or the other.
“The problem with fiction, it has to be plausible. That's not true with non-fiction.”
Tom Wolfe

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”