Favorite character in the story

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Favorite character in the story

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

The book has a lote of well-developed and realistic characters who are perfect for enhancing the plot. I enjoyed the amazingly realistic character of Claire which combined childish enthusaiasm with appropriate behaviours like whining, tears, and a fierce reluctance to have her long hair cut.
Who was your favorite character in the story and why?
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Sarah is my favorite character in the story because she is a tenacious older woman who serves as a maternal influence for Hillary and a grandmother for Claire.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

My favorite character in the story was Hillary. She was struggling with past mistakes and issues of abandonment, but seemed to be trying to forge ahead to make a good home as a wife, mother and ghost writer.
Everything happens for a reason...
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

Claire was my favorite. She added so much love and tenderness to the story. I loved her fascination with Rapunzel! She is a very intelligent and perceptive child.
wendilou49
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: So Into Her
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendilou49.html
Latest Review: Blossom ~ The Wild Ambassador of Tewksbury by Anna Carner
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by wendilou49 »

This has to be Claire. She's so full of love and questions, and she so loves her parents and Sarah, it's very touching and heart warming
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

My favorite character was Ed. He was such a supportive husband to Hillary. He always made her feel good about herself. He was a hands-on dad, and the kind of husband every woman would want. I loved the nickname of Chickadee he gave Hillary. He seemed so patient with his family. I found him to be just an all-around good guy!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
DragonLight877
Favorite Author: Patrick Rothfuss
Favorite Book: The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonlight877.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
fav_author_id: 3201

Post by DragonLight877 »

My favorite character was Sarah. Even though she wasn't a blood relative to Hillary and Claire, she was right there, living close and being there when they needed her. I just think she was a really kind and super helpful woman, especially since she really didn't have to be. Not to mention I loved her attitude toward life. She just seemed happy and jovial.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 05:53 Sarah is my favorite character in the story because she is a tenacious older woman who serves as a maternal influence for Hillary and a grandmother for Claire.
I liked Sara too. She had spunk. She seemed so easy-going and never complained.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

Bridget was probably my favorite character. I liked how she fought for her cause and didn't give up despite the threats. I also appreciate that she rejected the marriage proposal from Seamus because she wanted a proper one!
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

My favorite character was Hillary. I felt bad for her for all of the loss she was experiencing, but she seemed to handle it with determination. I liked how much she wanted to find Bridgett's killer, despite the very real danger.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I liked female characters in this story and how well they represented each part; Claire as a child, Hilary as grown woman and Sarah as older and wiser version. I especially liked Bridget because she was such a warrior.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

Claire was definitely my favorite. I felt like the author did a good job incorporating her into the story. I also found her behavior realistic. I loved the she referred to her Rapunzel doll as "Punzey" and called Hillary "Maaa" like a goat bleating. Claire was my favorite part of the book in general, not just my favorite character.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

cpru68 wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 12:50 My favorite character in the story was Hillary. She was struggling with past mistakes and issues of abandonment, but seemed to be trying to forge ahead to make a good home as a wife, mother and ghost writer.
It's interesting to hear you say that. For me, Hillary was my least favorite part of the book. I found her to be obsessive and paranoid. I thought she was obsessed with her heritage, obsessed with being abandoned, obsessed with being a good mother, and constantly paranoid something bad would happen. Also, for someone so obsessed with being a good mother, I thought she made some dumb decisions. Like staying in Ireland, for example. If she really wanted Claire to be safe she should have taken her home.

I think differing opinions are what makes reading interesting, though. It would be boring if everyone had the same opinion.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Kaylee123 wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 13:13
cpru68 wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 12:50 My favorite character in the story was Hillary. She was struggling with past mistakes and issues of abandonment, but seemed to be trying to forge ahead to make a good home as a wife, mother and ghost writer.

I felt her behavior was erratic as she dealt with her own “mother” issues. One minute overly protective and the next not so much, but it seemed realistic for a woman who was looking for “family”. I absolutely did not agree with all the decisions she made, but she seemed the most “real” to me out of them all.

It's interesting to hear you say that. For me, Hillary was my least favorite part of the book. I found her to be obsessive and paranoid. I thought she was obsessed with her heritage, obsessed with being abandoned, obsessed with being a good mother, and constantly paranoid something bad would happen. Also, for someone so obsessed with being a good mother, I thought she made some dumb decisions. Like staying in Ireland, for example. If she really wanted Claire to be safe she should have taken her home.

I think differing opinions are what makes reading interesting, though. It would be boring if everyone had the same opinion.
Everything happens for a reason...
Erick Muyesu
Favorite Book: The Spirit of Want
Currently Reading: Mine Boy
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erick-muyesu.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Erick Muyesu »

Hilary stood out as a character in the story. Despite her struggles, she continued to fight on in order to be a good wife

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”