The Ending

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
GiselleBengochea
Currently Reading: Nathan Turner and the New World Order
Bookshelf Size: 1720
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gisellebengochea.html
Latest Review: Terror In Manila by Frank Q. Aurillo Jr

Re: The Ending

Post by GiselleBengochea »

:shock: The storyline near the end seemed a bit predictable, however, it did not seem as though there was a final conclusion.Perhaps this was done purposely by the author to lay a foundation for a sequel or additional books.
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

I was a little disappointed with the end of the book as it seemed too predictable. It really didn't feel like a mystery at all. I wish there was a little more twist there. But that didn't diminish how much I liked the book overall. It was wonderful!
Faithful Oso
Currently Reading: Provoked To Anger
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Faithful Oso »

The way the ending was predictable made me feel like the author was in a hurry to put an end to the book. But that didn't make the love i have for the book diminish.
Kemmy11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemmy11.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Kemmy11 »

I enjoyed every bit of the book except the ending where it was exactly as imagined.it also seem as if the writer was in a rush to finish the book. otherwise, I loved the book.
ZettieOby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by ZettieOby »

It will be lovely to know how it ends.
Samgum50
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samgum50.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Samgum50 »

No there were definitely a lot of subplots that were left unresolved by the end of the book.
kelvingat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvingat.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by kelvingat »

The writer did a good work in wrapping up the story because foreshadowing was employed by the author within the novel as part of ending up the novel.
ZettieOby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by ZettieOby »

Until I have gone through the book I have cannot really if it ended well or not.
ThomasCShearman1976
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thomascshearman1976.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ThomasCShearman1976 »

As I neared the end, I wondered how the author was going to tie it all up so quickly and, like many posters here, I felt it ended all too quickly and a bit obviously.

Another 50 pages, explaining the ghosts/dolls and developing Dermot and Seamus/Bridget a bit more, would have been good for me.
bjoly2
Currently Reading: Never Eat Alone
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bjoly2.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by bjoly2 »

The book did seem to end quite abruptly in comparison to the length of time it took to build out all the plotlines. I felt rushed and did not feel that all of the subplots were tied up. I'm still left wondering why one of the murders was committed at all (don't want to spoil by saying which). I agree that I could have done with another 50 or so pages to tie things up on this story. I understand the author leaving an open door to the next book but felt she clearly did that using the abundant references to the absentee mother.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

The author put lots of writing before the quick ending. I story is not eventful.
NellyDee29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nellydee29.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (French Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: OverDrive

Post by NellyDee29 »

The end was so predictable. It would have been more interesting if the author wrapped it all well. But in this case, I felt like he rushed it in the end.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

NetMassimo wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 06:02 Near the end I wondered if I was missing something because the author seemed in a hurry to wrap things up after spending so many pages building things up. After finishing the novel I was curious to see what other readers thought about a pacing that seemed uneven to me. I admit it's not the kind of novel I usually read, so my perception might be wrong.
I felt pretty much the same way. What was the deal with the Seans for example. And, Seamus holding Claire by her hair was a little unrealistic in my opinion. I got the symbolism but really,...?

This isn't my usual genre either so maybe I'm reading too much into it.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
Patty Allread
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Problems of Work
Currently Reading: Bird by Bird
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patty-allread.html
Latest Review: Hinduism by Dr Hiro G. Badlani

Post by Patty Allread »

I was a little disappointed with the ending because the author revealed who the murderers were in just a sentence or two. They seemed unimportant and disconnected from the story. I think there could have been more done with the motives of Dermot Connolly and his fear of having his family's history exposed.
Gandhi_D 1st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gandhi-d-1st.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Gandhi_D 1st »

:o
vermontelf wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 21:24
NetMassimo wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 06:02 Near the end, I wondered if I was missing something because the author seemed in a hurry to wrap things up after spending so many pages building things up. After finishing the novel I was curious to see what other readers thought about the pacing that seemed uneven to me. I admit it's not the kind of novel I usually read, so my perception might be wrong.

Yes, me as well. I had been listening to it as an audiobook and so I thought I might have somehow skipped ahead. I went back through the last chapters and re-listened. I was a bit disappointed, about feeling rushed and a little incomplete or too easy.
Perhaps Ideas were lacking at the end of the novel for the rush by the author.

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”