The Ending

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
moomawpw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moomawpw.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Re: The Ending

Post by moomawpw »

Oops. That should have read Broome.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

moomawpw wrote: 26 Mar 2020, 15:13 The book's ending was, like the book generally, kind of rushed. Just generally not as satisfying as the first two Brooke books.
Have you read previous books?
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Linda Ozioma Adiele
Currently Reading: Blue Valentine
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oziafricana.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams
Reading Device: B002Y27P46

Post by Linda Ozioma Adiele »

I would have loved to see if Hillary found her mother, who made the ghost dolls and why. We understand the killer was a man but it doesn't look like the kind of act of a man who is set on killing or eliminating someone). I would have also loved to know if the furtive apparitions seen on several occasions by Hillary were the killer, the killer's team or real ghosts.
Erin Dydek
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

NetMassimo wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 06:02 Near the end I wondered if I was missing something because the author seemed in a hurry to wrap things up after spending so many pages building things up. After finishing the novel I was curious to see what other readers thought about a pacing that seemed uneven to me. I admit it's not the kind of novel I usually read, so my perception might be wrong.
I’d agree that there was a pacing issue. When the crime in a crime thriller doesn’t happen till 50% is over, the ending is going to feel rushed.
Erin Dydek
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

Arimart99 wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 19:53 The ending seemed to happen pretty fast and it was also pretty predictable. I prefer it when we get a total shock in the ending, but overall, it was still pretty enjoyable to read.
I thought it was pretty predictable too. I think the shock was supposed to be that the middle man hired by Durmont unknowingly hired Durmont’s dad to do the killing (I didn’t see that coming, but it didn’t blow me away).
Smiley 25
Currently Reading: Individual Advantages
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-smiley-25.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Smiley 25 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 01:48 The book has a lot of mystery and subplots in the beginning which made for an amazing story. By the end of the book, many of these subplot and mysteries started winding down. I felt like though not all of the subplots were wraped up to my liking, the author did an amazing job wrapping up the mysteries.
Did you feel that the author did a successful job in wraping up all the mysteries in the book and the subplots?
I went back a couple of times at the end because I thought my Kindle had somehow glitched, or I had hit the wrong thing, and had missed a whole section. The ending felt very abrupt. The epilogue helped me to feel a little more closure, but I still felt like I didn't get the entire end of the story. A smoother transition would have been nice.
mary-annef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-annef.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by mary-annef »

LV2R wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 02:58 I didn't feel like the ghost dolls were explained very well, except to scare Bridget. But, who actually did that and why gather them all up if not used to solve the mystery? The ending wrapped up most of the mysteries but did seem rushed and too tidy.
I completely agree - I feel the author had a whole lot of ideas and couldn't let any of them go but then got tired of trying to tie them all up. Very dissatisfying.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

mary-annef wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 14:43
LV2R wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 02:58 I didn't feel like the ghost dolls were explained very well, except to scare Bridget. But, who actually did that and why gather them all up if not used to solve the mystery? The ending wrapped up most of the mysteries but did seem rushed and too tidy.
I completely agree - I feel the author had a whole lot of ideas and couldn't let any of them go but then got tired of trying to tie them all up. Very dissatisfying.
The more I think about it the more I agree with you too. I mean this is a series but supposedly every book should stan on its own. So, I shouldn't make so many excuses for the story and choices the author made.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Nnlibby
Currently Reading: Memoirs of the Senator's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nnlibby.html
Latest Review: Blood Red Moon by Lee Roberts
Reading Device: B0794Z55CH

Post by Nnlibby »

I too didn't like how it ended. I do hope the author ended it this way for the next book. If not, I'll be a little disappointed.
tsh1001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tsh1001.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by tsh1001 »

I have found that a lot of times, authors will rush and skimp on the endings simply to wrap up mysteries and complete stories....it is one of the biggest downfall of many books unfortunately.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book."
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I liked the book alright but the ending? I believe it was to allow for sequels. It felt a bit incomplete.
Mandy Males Cole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mandy-males-cole.html
Latest Review: The Movie Chair by Shari Borkin

Post by Mandy Males Cole »

Yes, the ending seemed rushed to me. Bridget left a thick packet of research for Hillary. What else was there? I would have like to know. Also, was Dermo held accountable for his actions? There were several loose ends, but overall a well-written, engaging story.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

Kelyn wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 15:41 I felt the loose ends had been tied up pretty well. Maybe not with a neat little bow, but I believe that was done deliberately to leave the door open for sequels.
Perhaps, the author will write another book.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

SunVixen wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 07:04
Perhaps, the author will write another book.
In the interview you can find here she stated that she's writing book four.
Ciao :)
Massimo
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

No. But I think it was done on purpose. The book is part of a series and I'm sure that, for example, the mystery of Hillary's mother will be addressed in another novel. I will be happy to read them all!

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”