Claire

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Re: Claire

Post by ciecheesemeister »

I liked Claire. Together with Sarah, she provided a lot of the book's lighter moments.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading: The White Coat Effect
Bookshelf Size: 1652
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: Juris Ex Machina by John W. Maly
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

Claire's genuine personality reminds me of my youngest daughter. I could picture how the room lit up when she smiles. That was definitely why I chose Claire as my favorite character.
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

Arimart99 wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 22:48 I have a niece about the age of Claire and it's refreshing to have a story that portrays a child correctly. Usually children in murder mysteries add very little to the story and are usually not mentioned often, or they are portrayed in a much more mature manner.
I definitely agree with this. Most writers seem to struggle to accurately portray children, but Claire's character felt like many kids I have been around.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Mounce574 wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 21:26 Claire's genuine personality reminds me of my youngest daughter. I could picture how the room lit up when she smiles. That was definitely why I chose Claire as my favorite character.
Yes, that is true. She did add something special to the narrative. I think she was portrayed well.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Reina275
Currently Reading: Mixed Blessings
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reina275.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reina275 »

I love Clair! Her character was what kept the humour and the story more entertaining with her childlike behaviour in my opinion. Even if I´m older I felt more identified with her. :lol:
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

I think she's adorable! Also, I find commendable how well depicted this character is. We, as adults, usually have a hard time getting children and portraying them without falling into cliches or making the character feel flat but Claire is quirky and smart without losing her childlike qualities. Very realistic!
Kevsona
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kevsona.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kevsona »

Claire and the end of the book was unforgivable. She was my favorite part of the book!
AlexisLib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexislib.html
Latest Review: The Girl Behind the Wall--Edgar Allan Poe, the Girl, and the Mysterious Raven Murders by Bruce Wetterau

Post by AlexisLib »

I agree Claire brought some humor to the story. But she became annoying to me after awhile. Do seven-year-old kids jump around like that in restaurants and at other times when they are sitting somewhere? This seemed like younger behavior to me, like toddlers. I got really tired of Maaa too. It may be that some characteristics were repeated too often by the author for me.

I also found the hair getting caught under the seat in the airplane odd. Like how could that realistically happen? And wouldn't it just be caught and easily gotten free just with unlooping it from what it was caught on? It wouldn't be all tangled/knotted up.
AlexisLib
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: The Girl Behind the Wall--Edgar Allan Poe, the Girl, and the Mysterious Raven Murders by Bruce Wetterau

Post by AlexisLib »

Kevsona wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 13:57 Claire and the end of the book was unforgivable. She was my favorite part of the book!

I was like, how is he going to save her by actually threatening her life? How could he believe he was strong enough to dangle her like that and not accidentally let go or slip etc.? I found it pretty unbelievable. I would think he would just hold her securely and make threats or something, that would be scary enough. I know, I know, it tied into the Rapunzel theme, but someone would never do this unless he was an absolute villain and didn't care about her.)
AlexisLib
Currently Reading:

Post by AlexisLib »

tanner87cbs wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 10:54 I hate to be that guy, but Claire's character really annoyed me personally. I thought she was portrayed with the characteristics of a younger child than she was. Maybe I am jaded for raising a 7-year-old girl and trying to get her to stop acting like she is 2 at time :).
Me too! I thought I would be the only one, so I am glad to see your comment!
Caffrey_19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caffrey-19.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Caffrey_19 »

Ordinarily, children characters don’t portray vital roles in stories like this. Claire, on the other hand, made it to ‘the big screen’. With a sentimental attachment to her Rapunzel, as well as her childish manners, I would say she was highly significant in the development of the storyline.
Mindi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 106
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindi.html
Latest Review: The Promise by Hank Ellis

Post by Mindi »

Claire brought much-needed light and humor to the story. It is always pure to see a child's point of view.
Sonasteve
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Sonasteve »

Claire is such an intelligent, perceptive child, and her presence added so much interest to the story.
ohlendorfbe
Favorite Book: The Piano Man
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohlendorfbe.html
Latest Review: Tears and Trombones by Nanci Lee Woody
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by ohlendorfbe »

I'm in agreement with you about the humor that Claire brought to the story. Interestingly, I have a granddaughter her age whose name is Claire! It was sometimes difficult for me to differentiate between them, except that my Claire's hair is blonde. What a sweet, yet quirky character she was!
Liana Mayhew
Favorite Book: The Orb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liana-mayhew.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Liana Mayhew »

I loved Claire. She felt very believable and she reminded me of my 7 year old daughter with her humour and cute mannerisms.

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”