heritage & mothers

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Re: heritage & mothers

Post by Splendour0606 »

It might look as if Hillary was obsessed with her parenting role, but she need not to be blamed because most times our past experiences mould our perspective to life, and honestly, she was a great mother.
gracedivine
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by gracedivine »

The author passed a salient but imortsnt message here. Just because you where abandoned or maltreated by your parents doesntt mean you will also turn out bad. Its a choice. And Hillary closed to be the opposite of her mum. She is a fantantic mum to Clair
blackpinkpurple
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blackpinkpurple.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by blackpinkpurple »

The character of Hillary as a mother is commendable. I loved her growth throughout the story. Hillary came from a difficult childhood but she made sure she was always there for her daughter. She did not let her past over shadow her future. Even though she sometimes second guesses herself and has her insecurities but she is ready to change for her daughter. She is tenacious woman who knows how to handle her problems on her own. The way Hillary has dealt with her abandonment issues is beautifully portrayed. Sometimes she is too tough n herself and has problems getting through her dark childhood. The way Hillary is portrayed in a strong manner also serves as an inspiration for her daughter.
wendilou49
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: So Into Her
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendilou49.html
Latest Review: Blossom ~ The Wild Ambassador of Tewksbury by Anna Carner
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by wendilou49 »

Hilary was definitely influenced by the way her mother treated her. Our mothers are a great influence on us while growing up and even as adults. A mother who is not supportive and loving can influence a child to doubt herself and to always look at herself as a little less than she actually is. Her self-confidence is drained because of negative remarks in her childhood.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

Generational trauma is a very real thing and like most trauma we all react differently. Some of us grow to cautious that we might as well have never lived while other dive head first into painful patterns.
ZettieOby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by ZettieOby »

I think the fact that she was left alone as a child made her strive to be a better mother that her mum. Although she had her shortcomings too.
kelvingat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelvingat.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by kelvingat »

In my opinion, Hillary is a good mother even though her own mother abandoned and she could not learn the basics of raising kids. She raised Clare in good and a commendable way.
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

I think it's impossible for a parental relationship to not effect your relationship with your own kids, both bad experiences and good ones
Bhuvana Subramanyam
Favorite Book: Lady Smoke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhuvana-subramanyam.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Bhuvana Subramanyam »

Our childhood experiences mold us into the person we are today. Hillary's character is a good example.
Kemmy11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemmy11.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Kemmy11 »

Twylla wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 09:14 Hillary's ability to deal with her abandonment by her mother, made her a better mother in my opinion. It was interesting that she was afraid of repeating her mother's behavior when she had not been influenced by her for most of her childhood. I admired the way she made up her mind not to repeat her own mothers mistakes.
I agree with you. She never allowed her past to determine her life.
_Lindsey_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey.html
Latest Review: The Curl by Raymond George Ward

Post by _Lindsey_ »

Bhuvana Subramanyam wrote: 31 May 2020, 09:12 Our childhood experiences mold us into the person we are today. Hillary's character is a good example.
I completely agree with this. It's so interesting to look into the ways that childhood affects adulthood, and how parenting style really does have a lasting impact on a person who has been grown up a long time.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

NetMassimo wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 06:07 Hillary's insecurities as a mother were often highlighted in the novel. Initially I wondered if I was missing something from the first books of the series, but then the various mentions of Hillary's mother offered a bigger picture that made her attitude easier to understand.
I feel the same.
Ify_Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ify-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Return to Eternity by Jenni Barnett

Post by Ify_Reviewer »

Hillary's fear of repeating her mother's action made her a better mother to her daughter Claire. In spite of her fears, insecurities, and mistakes, she succeeded in not repeating history.
Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Happy Healing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nqobile-mashinini-tshabalala.html
Latest Review: Anatomy of Revenge by Fred Grace

Post by Nqobile Mashinini Tshabalala »

The dynamics involved in mother-daughter relationships are complex. Being abandoned by a mother is deeply scarring. I am placing this book in my shelf for reading in the near future.
Documented history is a gift from the past to the future! - NqobileM
Bisqwik
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bisqwik.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Bisqwik »

Families can be a big influence of course, but cycles of behavior passed down from parents can be life altering. Abandonment, abuse, what have you. But that doesnt mean those things will repeat per se. It could just be a change to the character of a person. It can certainly be a big part of what kind of parent you are later as well. Her overcoming of those problems is a great example for the readers

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”