Irish folklore

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Irish folklore

Post by AntonelaMaria »

What Irish characters, myths or parts of folklore you like the best? Is that part of the story that you think compliments the book well? Is that something that you knew before or if it made you more curious about it?

I knew about rich Irish history in general but I didn’t know much about it. This book made me want to learn more. I liked how the author put all the details with mystery plotline. It made it even more interesting. Even though the parts about Great Famine were the hardest to read I liked to read about it. Even though all the myths are fascinating I also find them all very scary. So it seems appropriate to put them in a murder mystery book.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

The spooky ghost stories added another layer of suspense to the plot, so I appreciated their inclusion.

Before reading this book, I did not know any specific Irish ghost legends, but the author cleverly wrote about the Yeats Tower ghost, which tied in well with the climax of the story.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

My favorite line in the book was when Bridget said, “A famine is when there isn’t enough food. ‘A Great Hunger’ is what it really was. Thousands were forced to starve.” Bridget felt like the people of Ireland deserved to know the truth behind the suffering and anguish the country had been through. Bridget was so knowledgeable in Irish history. That added a great dimension to the story!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

I confess my ignorance on the subject, and had read only that some migration waves to the USA followed famine. Reading some details of Irish history was interesting and gave me a broader picture.
Ciao :)
Massimo
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I didn’t know a lot about Irish folklore until I read the book. For sure, the details of the famine and the gruesome details were startling! The additional ghost stories added great suspense to this book. I learned a lot and enjoyed the storyline.
Everything happens for a reason...
wendilou49
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: So Into Her
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendilou49.html
Latest Review: Blossom ~ The Wild Ambassador of Tewksbury by Anna Carner
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by wendilou49 »

Before I read this book, I the surface knowledge of any of the b folklore and history. I love the four leaf clover search and hoping to see a leprechaun that claire did. Ieprechauns are very naughty aren't they? I"d like to learn more, but not enough time too many books.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Irish and Scottish folklore have been an interest of mine for years, so I already knew quite a bit of what was in the book. I was delighted to see that the author had done their homework! The ghost stories were an added plus.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

As stated earlier, I am hoping to visit Ireland sometime soon. I have been doing a bit of research on the folklore, but have only perused information briefly. I did find the ghost stories quite spooky and the famine was so awful to read about.
sri varshini303041
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sri-varshini303041.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by sri varshini303041 »

I read a novel by James Joyce called The Dubliners. It is a collection of 15 short stories and almost every story has the underlying theme of irish revival and famine.
Also I read the drama Riders to the Sea by Synge. Its main themes are mysticism and the power of the sea. It has several symbols and motifs to mysticism.I think you would enjoy the drama more.
Brendan Donaghy
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

Twylla wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 09:16 My favorite line in the book was when Bridget said, “A famine is when there isn’t enough food. ‘A Great Hunger’ is what it really was. Thousands were forced to starve.” Bridget felt like the people of Ireland deserved to know the truth behind the suffering and anguish the country had been through. Bridget was so knowledgeable in Irish history. That added a great dimension to the story!
Good comment. There was certainly a potato blight at the time - more than one, in fact - but there was still more than enough food in the country. Problem was that it was being shipped out to overseas markets. The Great Hunger, or 'an Gorta Mór' in Irish, is therefore a more accurate description of events than famine.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I didn't know much about Irish Folklore until I read this book. I found it very interesting. The ghost stories added to the story, and the famine was heartbreaking to read about.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Ari Martinez
Currently Reading: Victoria's Choice
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ari-martinez.html
Latest Review: Finding A Way Forward by Karen Games

Post by Ari Martinez »

I remember watching a youtuber who moved to Ireland and she once started telling ghost stories she learned from her community and that's all I knew about Ireland, so the ghost stories were very interesting to read. I also enjoyed reading about the famine and folklore since I didn't know much about that.
LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by LyorBoone »

Kelyn wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 15:25 Irish and Scottish folklore have been an interest of mine for years, so I already knew quite a bit of what was in the book. I was delighted to see that the author had done their homework! The ghost stories were an added plus.
This book is starting to look more interesting than my initial judgement of the title. Are the ghost stories added for characterization of the story teller and the setting itself. Or does this novel actually have supernatural elements to it? I hear mystery and thriller, but it sounds like there's enough notes struck to be historical fiction too.
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Oh, I would definitely say there was enough evidence for it to be historical fiction. "The Great Hunger' was one instance that seemed well researched.
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

I had hoped for more history or stories. There was a little, for example I enjoyed (not quite the right word) reading about how so many Irish traveler the roadways and died along the way, to be buried or left in the ditches. That modern yards probably should be sacred ground but no one knows who is there.

On the flip side, two so similar stories from museums:memorials was very disappointing.

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”