What Was Your Favorite Moment or Feature of this Novel? What Was the Worst?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Re: What Was Your Favorite Moment or Feature of this Novel? What Was the Worst?

Post by Carolreads30 »

As other readers have stated, some of the best moments in this book were the descriptions of the history of Ireland. I had no idea that the country had suffered starvation to the point of cannibalism. I also loved the relationship between Claire and Hillary. One of my worst moments of the book was when Claire got her hair stuck on the plane. As a mother with two daughters, this is a real situation. One of my daughters loves her hair as much as Claire does hers in the story, and my daughter is almost 30.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Carolreads30 wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 09:13 As other readers have stated, some of the best moments in this book were the descriptions of the history of Ireland. I had no idea that the country had suffered starvation to the point of cannibalism. I also loved the relationship between Claire and Hillary. One of my worst moments of the book was when Claire got her hair stuck on the plane. As a mother with two daughters, this is a real situation. One of my daughters loves her hair as much as Claire does hers in the story, and my daughter is almost 30.
lol, well I get it hair is important to a lot of people. More often than not we all have that scary hair story.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

Juliet+1 wrote: 12 Mar 2020, 12:35 My favorite aspect of this book was the way descriptions of Irish history, folklore, and places were woven throughout the story. One of my cousins visited "the old country" recently and he can't stop talking about it.
I agree one hundred percent. I want to visit Ireland, but COVID19 is a problem now. :cry:
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Carolreads30 wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 09:13 As other readers have stated, some of the best moments in this book were the descriptions of the history of Ireland. I had no idea that the country had suffered starvation to the point of cannibalism. I also loved the relationship between Claire and Hillary. One of my worst moments of the book was when Claire got her hair stuck on the plane. As a mother with two daughters, this is a real situation. One of my daughters loves her hair as much as Claire does hers in the story, and my daughter is almost 30.
I knew Ireland had its troubles, but I never knew the horrible extent of it. I’m with you on the hair situation! I actually got my hair caught in a fan when I was younger! So scary!!! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts with me. I appreciate it. :)
Everything happens for a reason...
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

cpru68 wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 11:28
Wyland wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 06:12 I liked best the historical descriptions of the monuments, religious artifacts, and various tragedies such as the great famine that has befallen the country.
Didn't she do a great job with that? I learned so much from reading a book that was supposedly fiction. That's the great part about reading..you just never know what you might find when you pick up a mystery novel! Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. I appreciate it! :)
Yes, here descriptions were well written and taught her readers much about these things if they did not know.
Kevsona
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kevsona.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Kevsona »

I will provide the best answer when I complete reading the whole novel.
Sonasteve
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Sonasteve »

My favourite part of this story involves how Hillary begun uncovering the past details of her family and my worst is when people started dying as while Hillary was uncovering the details.
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

cpru68 wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 15:50
wendilou49 wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 15:20 My favourite part of the story was Hillary's relationship with claire. They are both so free and open, it's very refreshing
The airplane scene and Claire’s hair incident was true to life. What parent hasn’t been in that situation? The mother/daughter relationship was a nice one to see. I appreciate you sharing what you liked the most. :)
Exactly! I also found the relationship between Hillary and her daughter, Claire, very refreshing and humourous sometimes.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
FaithMO19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmo19.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by FaithMO19 »

I read mainly because I want to be exposed to a different world and culture so I loved all the Ireland moments
VictorKE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victorke.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by VictorKE »

Sincerely speaking,my favourite part of the book was the kind of relationship between Hillary and Claire. How I wish I had a such bond.
Sunday diamond
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunday-diamond.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sunday diamond »

I've not been opportuned to read the book though
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

B Creech wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 09:07 My favorite part was the descriptions of Ireland. I've always dreamed of going there and to Scotland as my ancestry is Scotch-Irish. The worst part for me was on the plane when Claire got her hair caught. I was so worried because I knew she would be devastated if they had to cut her hair to get it loose!
Same here. The author described Ireland throughout this book. I thought this is a clear way! I also like the way Bridget said "No" to Seamus when he did the marriage proposal. I think the start of this book is kind of wordy and slow.
Anastasia Atkinson
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anastasia-atkinson.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Anastasia Atkinson »

I enjoyed the character of Claire. Most stories that have a young character are seen and not heard. She is involved in the story a lot, adding a child's view to what's happening. It is absolutely amazing how June Gillam portrayed Claire as a real little girl and childish. She was probably my favorite book child, considering she wasn't just a problem to be a problem and acted like a child. She was my absolute favorite part of the book.
Books and stories provide wonderful knowledge and lessons, but I must agree with my father that experience garners wisdom.
~Janet McNulty, excerpt from Solaris Seethes

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”