What Was Your Favorite Moment or Feature of this Novel? What Was the Worst?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

What Was Your Favorite Moment or Feature of this Novel? What Was the Worst?

Post by cpru68 »

My favorite part of this novel was the descriptions that this author gave of Ireland. I thought she did a great job describing the various places that the main character and her family visited. The part I liked the least was a scene where an untimely death had occurred, and a child was left unattended in a room sleeping. My mind was more on that child being alone with a killer on the run while the big moment was to be the death. What do you think? Do you have a favorite and least favorite moment or feature?
Everything happens for a reason...
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

My favorite part of the book was all of the history that was woven into the story. When Bridget was explaining that the great famine was actually the great hunger I had never heard that. Very interesting!
wendilou49
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: So Into Her
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendilou49.html
Latest Review: Blossom ~ The Wild Ambassador of Tewksbury by Anna Carner
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by wendilou49 »

My favourite part of the story was Hillary's relationship with claire. They are both so free and open, it's very refreshing
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Twylla wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 14:29 My favorite part of the book was all of the history that was woven into the story. When Bridget was explaining that the great famine was actually the great hunger I had never heard that. Very interesting!
Yes! This author really did a fantastic job with all the Ireland information. I felt she truly had done her research and maybe had traveled extensively there. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this! :)
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

wendilou49 wrote: 01 Mar 2020, 15:20 My favourite part of the story was Hillary's relationship with claire. They are both so free and open, it's very refreshing
The airplane scene and Claire’s hair incident was true to life. What parent hasn’t been in that situation? The mother/daughter relationship was a nice one to see. I appreciate you sharing what you liked the most. :)
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

My favorite part was the descriptions of Ireland. I've always dreamed of going there and to Scotland as my ancestry is Scotch-Irish. The worst part for me was on the plane when Claire got her hair caught. I was so worried because I knew she would be devastated if they had to cut her hair to get it loose!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

B Creech wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 09:07 My favorite part was the descriptions of Ireland. I've always dreamed of going there and to Scotland as my ancestry is Scotch-Irish. The worst part for me was on the plane when Claire got her hair caught. I was so worried because I knew she would be devastated if they had to cut her hair to get it loose!
This author did do a wonderful job with the details about Ireland. I would love to see it too someday. That part with Claire's hair getting caught was pretty true to life as well. I was glad to see that she got to keep her beautiful hair just as it was. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. :)
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I enjoyed reading about the different bed and breakfast places they stayed at. I thought the haunted hotel was kinda cool, although unfortunate that Sarah died there. I least liked some of the odd behavior of Seamus. It was strange how he almost seemed to be hitting on Hillary at one point and also his behavior to try to get them to go home was a little extreme to me.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

Helene_2008 wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 21:30 I enjoyed reading about the different bed and breakfast places they stayed at. I thought the haunted hotel was kinda cool, although unfortunate that Sarah died there. I least liked some of the odd behavior of Seamus. It was strange how he almost seemed to be hitting on Hillary at one point and also his behavior to try to get them to go home was a little extreme to me.
I thought the hotel was neat too. In fact, I almost wanted a bit more of that to go on. I think most readers are not going to like Seamus. I thought he was really weird as well. He was pushing an agenda and playing both sides, but for me, it came off as odd. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me! :)
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I liked Bridgett's bravery the most and Seamus' actions in the end the least. I wanted to like Seamus, wanted to see him change from someone who made questionable choices to someone who was inspired by Bridgett's love to change. I think he wanted to, but for whatever reason he just couldn't.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

I would best tackle this question after reading and analyzing the entire story.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

I would best tackle this question after reading and analyzing the entire story.
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 10:23 I liked Bridgett's bravery the most and Seamus' actions in the end the least. I wanted to like Seamus, wanted to see him change from someone who made questionable choices to someone who was inspired by Bridgett's love to change. I think he wanted to, but for whatever reason he just couldn't.
I agree with your assessment of these two characters. Bridgett kept fighting for something she believed in even though it was a dangerous situation. Seamus was consumed by greed and he no longer could see past that. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this with me! :)
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I liked the setting of the story in Ireland and all the inclusion of myths and history. My least favorite was the murder mystery I guess it just wasn't something that I enjoyed in this book as much I though I would.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
cpru68
Currently Reading:

Post by cpru68 »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 08:51 I liked the setting of the story in Ireland and all the inclusion of myths and history. My least favorite was the murder mystery I guess it just wasn't something that I enjoyed in this book as much I though I would.
I agree with you on both points. The murders were shocking. I have read what they call “cozy” mysteries where characters that aren’t “too important” die, but the murders in this seemed a bit severe with characters who were integral to the story. I had mixed feelings about that too.

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”