Seamus

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Seamus

Post by Brenda Creech »

What is your opinion of Seamus? Good guy or a bad guy? I didn't like him at all. I felt he was greedy. He supposedly loved Bridget but he also wanted his cut of money for the amusement park. He knew Bridget could be in danger when she started getting the dolls. But, he was more focused on getting his money!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
DragonLight877
Favorite Author: Patrick Rothfuss
Favorite Book: The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonlight877.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
fav_author_id: 3201

Post by DragonLight877 »

Oh I hated Seamus. His whole character was manipulative. He started going out with Bridget to get her to get off the amusement park thing. Then when hes scared because she wont listen, he proposes! For no good reason other than to stop her from working! Nah man, Seamus was an awful dude. Not to mention the end of the book.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

B Creech wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 13:26 What is your opinion of Seamus? Good guy or a bad guy? I didn't like him at all. I felt he was greedy. He supposedly loved Bridget but he also wanted his cut of money for the amusement park. He knew Bridget could be in danger when she started getting the dolls. But, he was more focused on getting his money!
He is arrogant and greedy too. Based on his conversations with his friends, he didn't seem to care about Bridget's welfare all he cared about was how he will get the cash and close the deal.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

DragonLight877 wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 21:35 Oh I hated Seamus. His whole character was manipulative. He started going out with Bridget to get her to get off the amusement park thing. Then when hes scared because she wont listen, he proposes! For no good reason other than to stop her from working! Nah man, Seamus was an awful dude. Not to mention the end of the book.
I agree. Seamus was a con artist from the start. While what ended up happening to Bridget was tragic, it was a good thing she never married him. He didn't really love her. He just felt guilty because he knew that he was complicit.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Nerea wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 01:31
B Creech wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 13:26 What is your opinion of Seamus? Good guy or a bad guy? I didn't like him at all. I felt he was greedy. He supposedly loved Bridget but he also wanted his cut of money for the amusement park. He knew Bridget could be in danger when she started getting the dolls. But, he was more focused on getting his money!
He is arrogant and greedy too. Based on his conversations with his friends, he didn't seem to care about Bridget's welfare all he cared about was how he will get the cash and close the deal.
Exactly! That is how I saw him too!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 07:57
DragonLight877 wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 21:35 Oh I hated Seamus. His whole character was manipulative. He started going out with Bridget to get her to get off the amusement park thing. Then when hes scared because she wont listen, he proposes! For no good reason other than to stop her from working! Nah man, Seamus was an awful dude. Not to mention the end of the book.
I agree. Seamus was a con artist from the start. While what ended up happening to Bridget was tragic, it was a good thing she never married him. He didn't really love her. He just felt guilty because he knew that he was complicit.
Absolutely! He swore he loved her, but he did nothing to protect her!
B. Creech
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

I see that I'm not the only one who had a negative impression of him. Actually, this might be the shortest thread about this novel as we all seem to agree about Seamus being bad. :D
Ciao :)
Massimo
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

He was definitely a bad guy in my opinion. Yes, he might have thought he loved Bridget, but he really didn't do anything to protect her. If he truly did love her, he would have just been straight with her. He should have risked her being angry with him to save her life. Also, what he did to Claire and the end of the book was unforgivable. She was my favorite part of the book!
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

NetMassimo wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 09:09 I see that I'm not the only one who had a negative impression of him. Actually, this might be the shortest thread about this novel as we all seem to agree about Seamus being bad. :D
Could be! Thanks for commenting!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Kaylee123 wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 13:37 He was definitely a bad guy in my opinion. Yes, he might have thought he loved Bridget, but he really didn't do anything to protect her. If he truly did love her, he would have just been straight with her. He should have risked her being angry with him to save her life. Also, what he did to Claire and the end of the book was unforgivable. She was my favorite part of the book!
I know, I couldn't believe what he did to Claire. I guess his love of money finally made him crazy! He was a very selfish and self-centered person, wanting everything his way.
B. Creech
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

Seamus was my least favorite character. I thought it was really strange when he randomly hit on Hillary. Also his behavior in the ending was so odd. He wanted to convince Hillary and her family to leave so they would be safe, but ended up kidnapping Claire to do so. How contradictory!
wendilou49
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: So Into Her
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendilou49.html
Latest Review: Blossom ~ The Wild Ambassador of Tewksbury by Anna Carner
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by wendilou49 »

I didn't like him at all. Her had no concern about Bridget's safety, he was just concerned about getting his big bucks. A liar and a skunk!
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

He kind of reminded me of Judas from the Bible. On the side betraying her, and then in the end regrets deeply what he has done. Greed is ugly, and unfortunately, he got sucked into it thinking he could get away with more than what he did.
Everything happens for a reason...
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I felt pity for Seamus. His character is so wounded by his past family history, he never musters the courage to move beyond that and be the different person that Bridgett saw in him.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

I found him to be more complex than I thought from the earlier parts of the book. It's obvious that his conscience is his undoing. I think he got himself into a situation that he lost control of, but because of his ego, was unable to back away from. He loved Bridget but was unable to protect her. He wanted money but was not ambitious enough to make it on his own. His losses did bring him to a catharsis though, and I liked the author's way of resolving his stresses.

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”