Seamus

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Re: Seamus

Post by Brenda Creech »

Cynthia_Oluchi wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 16:00 'Greedy'... That best describes him!
What is love if one cannot be upfront with someone he believes he loves?
It's a good thing the marriage tie was not knotted between himself and Bridget.
I agree! He had dollar signs in his eyes instead of hearts! I think Bridget was going to say yes to marrying him since she asked Hilary to be in her wedding! You're right, It's a good thing they didn't get married! :)
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Chipochashe wrote: 18 Mar 2020, 01:20 The impression that I get from him as the story begins is that he's a conflicted character. He has some feelings for Bridgett, but his love for money outweighs his love for her. He also feels that he is already in too deep to back out.
Yes, I believe he did have some feelings for Bridget and that he was into getting the money but was afraid of what would happen if the deal fell through. He felt he couldn't back out because Dermot was even more greedy than Seamus. I wonder if everything had worked out so Dermot could get the land for the amusement park if Seamus would really get the money, or would he have had a fatal "accident?"
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

SophiaNd wrote: 18 Mar 2020, 09:52 Seamus had his eyes on the price and he never let anything shift his focus. His character is a very awful one but then one could learn tenacity and focus from Seamus but not the way he handled it though.
technically, he got into the deal with Dermot before he knew Bridget. He met her through Dermot. Maybe when he first met her he just thought of casually dating her, but then found out Dermot wanted him to get Bridget to stop trying to get a memorial put in the amusement park. By then he was in too deep, and he wanted that money, regardless of what he needed to do to get it. :eusa-think:
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Dannyphery wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 06:15 Well, about Seamus, I think his greed took over him.... He was just interested in getting his cut regardless of what happens with Bridget
It certainly seems that way, because that was his focus throughout the book, even when he knew Bridget was in danger. :(
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

KDJ wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 21:41 He was definitely a horrible person. Perhaps he thought he was in love with Bridget, but his actions were clear. The mental breakdown at the end was probably because he knew he was wrong and was indirectly responsible for her death.
Yes, the mental breakdown did show that he had a conscience!
B. Creech
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

I totally agree. I thought Seamus was extremely greedy and manipulative, and I had a hard time continuing on with the story sometimes because of him.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

Songjohn007 wrote: 18 Mar 2020, 18:19 No one could ever believe he would go to that extent just to achieve his plans, the author has done a good job on that area.
If what you say is true, the way the author perceived the character differs from that of the readers, at least this one. I do not know if it is good or bad. Anyway, it has generated a lot of discussion. thank you for commenting.
:tiphat:
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Jennashby_87 wrote: 18 Mar 2020, 19:34 I totally agree. I thought Seamus was extremely greedy and manipulative, and I had a hard time continuing on with the story sometimes because of him.
I kept hoping he would finally pull out of the deal and protect Bridget. I believe he ultimately regretted it, but he didn't seem to feel any remorse until a life was actually taken!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

aacodreanu wrote: 19 Mar 2020, 03:57
Songjohn007 wrote: 18 Mar 2020, 18:19 No one could ever believe he would go to that extent just to achieve his plans, the author has done a good job on that area.
If what you say is true, the way the author perceived the character differs from that of the readers, at least this one. I do not know if it is good or bad. Anyway, it has generated a lot of discussion. thank you for commenting.
Yes, it has generated a lot of discussions. I posted this question, and then a second question was posted with the same heading. That surprised me! Anyway, I certainly did not think he would go to the extent he went to. I guess his love of money transcended everything else!
B. Creech
Gifted Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifted-soul.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Gifted Soul »

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 09:38 I felt pity for Seamus. His character is so wounded by his past family history, he never musters the courage to move beyond that and be the different person that Bridgett saw in him.
I agree with you on this. When one applies Freud's psychoanalysis on Seamus, he/she won't blame him for who he was, because that state was as a result of his family life history. I believe that is what made him so self-centred.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

B Creech wrote: 19 Mar 2020, 18:28
Yes, it has generated a lot of discussions. I posted this question, and then a second question was posted with the same heading. That surprised me! Anyway, I certainly did not think he would go to the extent he went to. I guess his love of money transcended everything else!
Sorry, B. Creech, when I proposed this topic I did not see that there already was one, otherwise, I would not have done so.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

aacodreanu wrote: 20 Mar 2020, 08:16
B Creech wrote: 19 Mar 2020, 18:28
Sorry, B. Creech, when I proposed this topic I did not see that there already was one, otherwise, I would not have done so.
Thanks. It is all good!
B. Creech
freshbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freshbook.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by freshbook »

I understood his character. But, I didn't really enjoy him. I thought he was going to be the 'good guy' in the end to 'scare Hillary' into leaving to save her life. He just ended up going completely ballistic with his plan.
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

wendilou49 wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 23:27 I didn't like him at all. Her had no concern about Bridget's safety, he was just concerned about getting his big bucks. A liar and a skunk!
I have to disagree as I believe that he loved Bridget, but he was caught up in a scheme that had evolved into something that he never expected. I think that he was a little naïve and thought that Bridget would not be hurt.
Bothofus07
Favorite Book: Skills of the Warramunga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bothofus07.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by Bothofus07 »

I think Seamus took a conflicted character to a new level. Maybe you liked him at the beginning, then hoped for a redemption arc, but one bad decision after another just led to his downfall.

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”