History and Mystery

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Re: History and Mystery

Post by AntonelaMaria »

mary-annef wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 14:52 I think the portrayal of the Great Famine was well handled. And for those concerned about B&B rooms with twin beds I can confirm that it's actually very difficult to find a room with twin beds. I know because I traveled to Ireland with a friend and we had to share a bed occasionally.
Lol, really? Well good to know. I didn't know that.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

mary-annef wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 14:52 I think the portrayal of the Great Famine was well handled. And for those concerned about B&B rooms with twin beds I can confirm that it's actually very difficult to find a room with twin beds. I know because I traveled to Ireland with a friend and we had to share a bed occasionally.
I agree. She did well in her research of the Great Famine, and that reflected well in her book. I'm actually glad to hear that about the twin beds. It would be my husband and I going together. Plus, I haven't slept in a twin bed since I was little! Perhaps we might have to go to a B & B that was more historical than modern to find it. It makes me wonder whether or not the one in the book really exists!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Hester3 wrote: 30 Mar 2020, 01:54 I have read some books about Irish history and mythology, I really liked this book. The history are not too much for people who do not like history, and not too little for those who do. Well done.
Having already read at least a bit about the history and mythology the author included in the book did lend something to the appeal of the book once I saw how credible her information was. I also agree that she used a good mix of history vs. the story. It balanced well. Thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

Yes, I truly believe that the author was very realistic in explaining the history and bringing mystery into the book as well. I think that she has studied a lot of the history of Ireland and allowed it into her book even if some of the history was a little upsetting to some.
Liana Mayhew
Favorite Book: The Orb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liana-mayhew.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Liana Mayhew »

I think the author done an amazing job of bringing Ireland to life. I have never been there myself, but the vivid descriptions really made me feel as though I was there. The attention to detail was just fantastic.
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

I have never been myself, so I can't compare. I'd love to go though, as the scenery alone sounds wonderful!
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

LianaMayhew wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 04:47 I think the author done an amazing job of bringing Ireland to life. I have never been there myself, but the vivid descriptions really made me feel as though I was there. The attention to detail was just fantastic.
Carolreads30 wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 09:55 Yes, I truly believe that the author was very realistic in explaining the history and bringing mystery into the book as well. I think that she has studied a lot of the history of Ireland and allowed it into her book even if some of the history was a little upsetting to some.
danielleamy wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 05:37 I have never been myself, so I can't compare. I'd love to go though, as the scenery alone sounds wonderful!
Yes, from the vivid descriptions, it does seem the author has done much research on the landscapes, traditions, and mythology of Ireland. From the attention to detail, I have no doubt that she has visited the country herself, which is something I, too, would love to do in the future. Thank you all so much for dropping in and sharing your thoughts!
Damis Seres Rodriguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-damis-seres-rodriguez.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Damis Seres Rodriguez »

I think it is always delightful to find out that an author does a good research about the places and timing in which they are writing. When they successfully add facts to a story without making it sound heavy or forced is even better. That was one of the things I liked the most about the book.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The history I was most familiar with was the Potato Famine. The author did a good job of portraying the misery and the desperation the people felt. The descriptions of the statue and the cannibalism formed vivid pictures in the reader's mind and tore at the heart. The other historical elements that were mentioned made me want to study them and learn more of Ireland's past. It was well done!
ErikaP13
Favorite Author: Terry Brooks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erikap13.html
Latest Review: The Eye of Illumination by W.C. Gorski
fav_author_id: 5000

Post by ErikaP13 »

I have never been to Ireland myself, but I've always been fascinated by the place. Everything from pictures of it to stories and tales I've read has drawn me in. Seeing it described so well and hearing how many people are saying how accurately the author has managed to capture it gives me joy. It makes me want to read this book all the more.
JKO
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jko.html
Latest Review: 7 Ways To Manage Pain With CBD by David Anthony Schroeder

Post by JKO »

I have not been to Ireland but I look forward to visiting one day. I think the author did a great job of describing Ireland and its history. I would love to experience what it's like over there.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

damis wrote: 13 Apr 2020, 05:10 I think it is always delightful to find out that an author does good research about the places and timing in which they are writing. When they successfully add facts to a story without making it sound heavy or forced is even better. That was one of the things I liked the most about the book.
I agree. The author was very good at working the historical facts into the weave of the story and melding the two successfully together without interrupting the flow of reading. I appreciated that, as well. It cannot be an easy thing to accomplish. Thanks for dropping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

kdstrack wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 22:47 The history I was most familiar with was the Potato Famine. The author did a good job of portraying the misery and the desperation the people felt. The descriptions of the statue and the cannibalism formed vivid pictures in the reader's mind and tore at the heart. The other historical elements that were mentioned made me want to study them and learn more of Ireland's past. It was well done!
Yes, the author's vivid descriptions of the people and circumstances during the Potato Famine did well in bringing across the horrors that occurred; it was heartbreaking and sometimes more than a little disturbing (i.e., cannibalism). I agree that she did well. Thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

ErikaP13 wrote: 15 Apr 2020, 13:51 I have never been to Ireland myself, but I've always been fascinated by the place. Everything from pictures of it to stories and tales I've read has drawn me in. Seeing it described so well and hearing how many people are saying how accurately the author has managed to capture it gives me joy. It makes me want to read this book all the more.
JKO wrote: 19 Apr 2020, 09:44 I have not been to Ireland but I look forward to visiting one day. I think the author did a great job of describing Ireland and its history. I would love to experience what it's like over there.
I haven't been to Ireland either, but I have read a lot about it, including its lore and history. Just going from my reading, the author did a splendid job in capturing and relating the beauty of the country as well as its history without weighing down the flow of the plot. I will get there someday to see for myself! Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with us!
VictorKE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victorke.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by VictorKE »

Very true.Though,I have never been to Ireland,but the detailed description made by the author brought a clear picture of the place.

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”