History and Mystery

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Re: History and Mystery

Post by ciecheesemeister »

I agree with you. I learned several things that I hadn't known before. I always appreciate real knowledge mixed in with an interesting story.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

OfficialEmma wrote: 18 Mar 2020, 23:45
Kelyn wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 23:20 As a long time student of every aspect of Ireland, I have read anything and everything I could get my hands on about the country. I was delighted with the authenticity the author displayed when describing the country. I was equally as pleased with the way she was able to work in the mystery aspect while still staying respectfully true to Irish history and tragedies. She really seems to have done her homework! Based on what you read in the book, do you think (as I do) the author was successful in her realistic depiction of Ireland and its history? Why or why not? What parts of the book made you feel that way?
You are right. The author put in a lot of work and research in this book, and it's evident by the authenticity of her descriptions. I enjoyed the book.
I'm glad you agree! The way that she interwove authentic lore and history into the story and mystery within it was quite an accomplishment for an author. I loved how she showed such respect for the lore and Ireland's historical events even while she used aspects of it to enhance the story. Not all authors would care enough to do that. Thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
Gifted Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifted-soul.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Gifted Soul »

Dorcas Serwaa Adu wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 23:02 The author did a fantastic job. You know with the setting, though I know nothing of Ireland, images such as buildings, statues and even the arrangement of settlement gave me a vivid picture of how the place was like. And the history behind them worshiping virgin Mary is amazing.
I also found the history of them worshipping virgin Mary quite intriguing. I guess this is because I'm still trying to understand the Catholics prayer of the rosary.
OfficialEmma
Currently Reading: The Shattered Vase
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-officialemma.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by OfficialEmma »

Kelyn wrote: 19 Mar 2020, 22:04
OfficialEmma wrote: 18 Mar 2020, 23:45
Kelyn wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 23:20 As a long time student of every aspect of Ireland, I have read anything and everything I could get my hands on about the country. I was delighted with the authenticity the author displayed when describing the country. I was equally as pleased with the way she was able to work in the mystery aspect while still staying respectfully true to Irish history and tragedies. She really seems to have done her homework! Based on what you read in the book, do you think (as I do) the author was successful in her realistic depiction of Ireland and its history? Why or why not? What parts of the book made you feel that way?
You are right. The author put in a lot of work and research in this book, and it's evident by the authenticity of her descriptions. I enjoyed the book.
I'm glad you agree! The way that she interwove authentic lore and history into the story and mystery within it was quite an accomplishment for an author. I loved how she showed such respect for the lore and Ireland's historical events even while she used aspects of it to enhance the story. Not all authors would care enough to do that. Thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
Yes, I commend the author for that. We ought to respect other people's culture, whether we like it or not. Some author's don't do that, as you've said. Thanks for your insightful comments.
If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, do things worth writing about or write things worth reading about.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Katherine Smith wrote: 19 Mar 2020, 17:29 I think that the author did a great job with the book because of the way that she described the country physical features like the sea worn cliffs and the rolling green hills. I also liked that the author described the beautiful architecture of the country like its majestic castles and religious sculptures. The focus on Catholicism is another aspect that is important to the development of the country and its culture even as it has changed politically.
I agree she did a good job. I loved the descriptions too. I loved the ratio between main plotline and the inclusion of Ireland.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Songjohn007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-songjohn007.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Post by Songjohn007 »

Though I haven't been to Ireland and not yet done any research on the history before, but to have someone to support and confirm the author on the historical part of this book, It means the author don't just entertain the readers, he is still a teacher of history.
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

Not being from Ireland, I cannot judge the quality of the depiction of history within the novel. However, I love history and the novel piqued my interest to do my own research on Ireland's past.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

The author did a great job describing Ireland. I enjoyed Gillam's cultural tour including the River Liffey, the quayside in Dublin, and the famine sculpture. I lived in England for 40 years, but never ventured to the green isle, so this book was a pleasure to read. A good mystery, and a great look at Ireland.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I'm not familiar with Irish history nor folklore, so I don't think my judgement of the book's eligibility would be on point.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Gifted Soul wrote: 20 Mar 2020, 05:28
Dorcas Serwaa Adu wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 23:02 The author did a fantastic job. You know with the setting, though I know nothing of Ireland, images such as buildings, statues and even the arrangement of settlement gave me a vivid picture of how the place was like. And the history behind them worshiping virgin Mary is amazing.
I also found the history of them worshipping virgin Mary quite intriguing. I guess this is because I'm still trying to understand the Catholics prayer of the rosary.
I've always found investigating other religions fascinating and the author did an excellent job helping us delve into the Irish Catholics ways of worship, in particular, that of the Virgin Mary. I haven't done much reading on the Catholic religion, but I do know from other reading that it is a large part of the Irish culture, both now and historically. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Songjohn007 wrote: 21 Mar 2020, 18:16 Though I haven't been to Ireland and not yet done any research on the history before, but to have someone to support and confirm the author on the historical part of this book, It means the author don't just entertain the readers, he is still a teacher of history.
Miercoles wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 19:45 Not being from Ireland, I cannot judge the quality of the depiction of history within the novel. However, I love history and the novel piqued my interest to do my own research on Ireland's past.
I don't know about the author being a teacher of history, but it's certainly evident that she is a long time student of it. That, or she did some crazy cramming to put this much authenticity into her book. Trust me, learning about the history of Ireland is nothing short of amazing. You'll discover more about some of the lore the author included in her book and beyond. Thanks to both of you for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Abacus wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 10:38 The author did a great job describing Ireland. I enjoyed Gillam's cultural tour including the River Liffey, the quayside in Dublin, and the famine sculpture. I lived in England for 40 years, but never ventured to the green isle, so this book was a pleasure to read. A good mystery, and a great look at Ireland.
I'm positively green with envy! But you lived right next to it for 40 years and never went?? I would probably have been there at least once a month! :lol2: I've not been yet, but the author's descriptions match up well with everything that I've read. She did an excellent job interlacing her descriptions with the storyline and mystery as well. Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts!
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Abacus wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 10:38 The author did a great job describing Ireland. I enjoyed Gillam's cultural tour including the River Liffey, the quayside in Dublin, and the famine sculpture. I lived in England for 40 years, but never ventured to the green isle, so this book was a pleasure to read. A good mystery, and a great look at Ireland.
You never went? That is too bad. Oh yeah, I loved the descriptions too. Speaking of River Liffey I love that too, and leaning that it means life.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
mary-annef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-annef.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by mary-annef »

I think the portrayal of the Great Famine was well handled. And for those concerned about B&B rooms with twin beds I can confirm that it's actually very difficult to find a room with twin beds. I know because I traveled to Ireland with a friend and we had to share a bed occasionally.
Hester3
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hester3.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Hester3 »

I have read some books about Irish history and mythology, I really liked this book. The history are not too much for people who do not like history, and not too little for those who do. Well done.

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”