History and Mystery

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

History and Mystery

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

As a long time student of every aspect of Ireland, I have read anything and everything I could get my hands on about the country. I was delighted with the authenticity the author displayed when describing the country. I was equally as pleased with the way she was able to work in the mystery aspect while still staying respectfully true to Irish history and tragedies. She really seems to have done her homework! Based on what you read in the book, do you think (as I do) the author was successful in her realistic depiction of Ireland and its history? Why or why not? What parts of the book made you feel that way?
Dorcas Serwaa Adu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcas-serwaa-adu.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Dorcas Serwaa Adu »

The author did a fantastic job. You know with the setting, though I know nothing of Ireland, images such as buildings, statues and even the arrangement of settlement gave me a vivid picture of how the place was like. And the history behind them worshiping virgin Mary is amazing.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I have never been to Ireland, so I don't know how accurate of a judge I am. However, after reading this book I felt like I had gotten a glimpse of the country. The places that the author described felt real. Castles, cliffs, a Catholic church service, bed and breakfasts with twin beds and no air conditioning... All of these details made the setting feel real.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Kelyn wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 23:20 As a long time student of every aspect of Ireland, I have read anything and everything I could get my hands on about the country. I was delighted with the authenticity the author displayed when describing the country. I was equally as pleased with the way she was able to work in the mystery aspect while still staying respectfully true to Irish history and tragedies. She really seems to have done her homework! Based on what you read in the book, do you think (as I do) the author was successful in her realistic depiction of Ireland and its history? Why or why not? What parts of the book made you feel that way?
I have never been to Ireland but I read some and watched even more so I had some idea about it. But only when I finished the book did I felt that I get what an amazing job author did with the whole story. It is a well researched book but also I loved the amount of history she put into the story...it didn't feel overwhelming.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

I do believe the author did a good job with the setting and the people of Ireland. The mystery was dealt with well and nicely pulled in some history. I really enjoyed that aspect, however I was very disappointed by the history that was shared as they toured about museums/monuments. I thought so much more could have bee brought in, even just in the discussions of what to include in the history section of the amusement park. I seem to be one of the only ones saying this, but I thought there was huge potential for history and it was hardly touched upon, and the repetitive story instead of multiple stories, seen while touring, really bothered me. In fact the historical aspect actually made me lose respect for the book.
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

I have never been to Ireland and so I cannot be a true judge of her. Still it seemed authentic.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 10:16 I have never been to Ireland, so I don't know how accurate of a judge I am. However, after reading this book I felt like I had gotten a glimpse of the country. The places that the author described felt real. Castles, cliffs, a Catholic church service, bed and breakfasts with twin beds and no air conditioning... All of these details made the setting feel real.
I quite agree. The vividly detailed portrayal of places and events in the book gave it a realistic feel that went far beyond just imagined fiction.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
[Danielle]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle.html
Latest Review: The Global Reconstruction Project by S. Cotton

Post by [Danielle] »

Dorcas Serwaa Adu wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 23:02 The author did a fantastic job. You know with the setting, though I know nothing of Ireland, images such as buildings, statues and even the arrangement of settlement gave me a vivid picture of how the place was like. And the history behind them worshiping virgin Mary is amazing.
I recently visited Ireland and adored it. I'm not normally a murder mystery fan, but I'm wondering if this might be a good one to try because of the Irish imagery.
"Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light." - Albus Dumbledore
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I have never been to Ireland, but based on other books I've read I think the author did a very good job with the history that was in the book. I don't like books with more history than the story! I felt the amount the author included was about right.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

I’ve read some history on the famine referenced in the book so that part of it seems true to my own research into it. The rest I guess are from the author’s own travels that are noted in her acknowledgments.

Having recently read a book where a lot of Basque history and lore was interwoven too much I thought this was the right balance for someone who was new to the history of Ireland. If they were interested in more, they could research more in depth with other sources.
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:

B Creech wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 20:48 I have never been to Ireland, but based on other books I've read I think the author did a very good job with the history that was in the book. I don't like books with more history than the story! I felt the amount the author included was about right.
I agree with this and the premise that they were traveling and were tourists made it feel like it belonged in the story. It didn’t feel contrived.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 08:42 I have never been to Ireland but I read some and watched even more so I had some idea about it. But only when I finished the book did I felt that I get what an amazing job author did with the whole story. It is a well researched book but also I loved the amount of history she put into the story...it didn't feel overwhelming.
Dorcas Serwaa Adu wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 23:02 The author did a fantastic job. You know with the setting, though I know nothing of Ireland, images such as buildings, statues and even the arrangement of settlement gave me a vivid picture of how the place was like. And the history behind them worshiping virgin Mary is amazing.
ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 10:16 I have never been to Ireland, so I don't know how accurate of a judge I am. However, after reading this book I felt like I had gotten a glimpse of the country. The places that the author described felt real. Castles, cliffs, a Catholic church service, bed and breakfasts with twin beds and no air conditioning... All of these details made the setting feel real.
I've never been either, though I hope to in the future. (Although I do hope my bed and breakfast does not have twin beds! :lol2: ) I found the images that the author painted for us very realistic as well. Reading the book, for me, was like getting a tour (or mini tours) through the country. I felt the history was an added bonus to the story, especially since it seemed so well-researched. The best thing about it, though, at least to me, was that history was integrated into the story. It didn't feel in the least like the author was doing a lecture on the history of Ireland. Thanks to you all for dropping by and commenting!
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:

vermontelf wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 09:42 I do believe the author did a good job with the setting and the people of Ireland. The mystery was dealt with well and nicely pulled in some history. I really enjoyed that aspect, however I was very disappointed by the history that was shared as they toured about museums/monuments. I thought so much more could have bee brought in, even just in the discussions of what to include in the history section of the amusement park. I seem to be one of the only ones saying this, but I thought there was huge potential for history and it was hardly touched upon, and the repetitive story instead of multiple stories, seen while touring, really bothered me. In fact the historical aspect actually made me lose respect for the book.
I thought it was because she was a tourist and they were visiting tourist attractions. How do you think the author could have done it otherwise?
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

I loved the way the author described everything. It was so powerful that I could actually had a clear image.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
ms_vinkel
Currently Reading: The Stranger
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-vinkel.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by ms_vinkel »

Kelyn wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 21:17 The best thing about it, though, at least to me, was that history was integrated into the story. It didn't feel in the least like the author was doing a lecture on the history of Ireland.
Thanks! You have reassured me that I won't be bogged down by the facts and skip pages of the book. Just like some of the members, I've also never been to Ireland so I probably won't know the accuracies or any inaccurate details when reading the book.

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”