The amusement park and the memorial

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Re: The amusement park and the memorial

Post by Tomah »

It could work, but it could also flop terribly. It all depends on the implementation, really. I always support combining education and entertainment, but it's not an easy feat at all.
praise+anyi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praise-anyi.html
Latest Review: Duplicity by Fin C Gray

Post by praise+anyi »

I totally agree with your thoughts concerning the memorial being kept in the amusement park. An amusement park is a place of robust activities, fun & pleasure. It needs to be in a solemn, peaceful & serene environment.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Tomah wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 02:20 It could work, but it could also flop terribly. It all depends on the implementation, really. I always support combining education and entertainment, but it's not an easy feat at all.
I am sure it isn't! In this instance, I felt it would be such a drastic difference that both the amusement park and the memorial might take away from one another.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
kmittag67
Favorite Author: Jim Butcher
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmittag67.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 2907

Post by kmittag67 »

I have the same reasoning as you. A memorial does not belong in an amusement park. It would be ignored or overlooked by most people. I believe a town square, a nature park, or a town garden would be a more appropriate location. The memorial would receive the respect and acknowledgment it deserves in any one of these settings.
Anyone who has time to clean is not reading nearly enough :wink:
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

praise+anyi wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 15:57 I totally agree with your thoughts concerning the memorial being kept in the amusement park. An amusement park is a place of robust activities, fun & pleasure. It needs to be in a solemn, peaceful & serene environment.
Thanks! I have a hard time imagining going to an amusement park and having fun if I stopped at an emotional memorial first! The memorial was to be about how the Irish sufferings. An Amusement park is a place of indulgence. To me, that doesn't stack up.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

kmittag67 wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 19:52 I have the same reasoning as you. A memorial does not belong in an amusement park. It would be ignored or overlooked by most people. I believe a town square, a nature park, or a town garden would be a more appropriate location. The memorial would receive the respect and acknowledgment it deserves in any one of these settings.
Absolutely! It deserves respect. I had several family members serve in the Viet Nam War. In our little town in Ohio, we had a city park in the middle of town overlooking the Ohio River. A Viet Nam memorial was put up in the park with all of the soldiers from our small town who served in that war. It is a very humbling experience to visit that memorial and find the names of my relatives there. Thank goodness it was erected in that quiet park in the center of town for all who visited it to reflect on it and not have loud noise and laughter in the background!
B. Creech
SophiaNd
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiand.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by SophiaNd »

An amusement park is supposed to be for fun. The memorial being there will obviously dampen the mood of visitors to the amusement park especially for the young ones.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

I did think it a bit of an odd choice to put it in an amusement park. I suppose it was to be placed there as a compromise move so the developer would have a better chance of agreeing to the park. Clearly he wasn't keen on it, though. :tiphat:
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

I say any kind of monument or memorial to any kind of pain shouldn't be in an amusement park. Most amusement parks have high prices to be able to enter, which means so many less people would see it!
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

I think the purpose of suggesting the memorial was an attempt to get the developer to change his mind about the amusement park; especially since he wanted to do so on land with historical significance. Bridget knew of other monuments that were built to honor the past, but were hidden from view. What she was asking has been done before successfully in the past.

Like those fun fairs back in the early 1900s, organizers were able to mix fun activities with educational ones. I know of several attractions in my area that balance fun and history lessons successfully. She was likely hoping he would meet her half way and think of something suiting to honor and respect the past.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

TopaAzul062 wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 21:11 I think the purpose of suggesting the memorial was an attempt to get the developer to change his mind about the amusement park; especially since he wanted to do so on land with historical significance. Bridget knew of other monuments that were built to honor the past, but were hidden from view. What she was asking has been done before successfully in the past. Like those fun fairs back in the early 1900s, organizers were able to mix fun activities with educational ones. I know of several attractions in my area that balance fun and history lessons successfully. She was likely hoping he would meet her half way and think of something suiting to honor and respect the past.
It is very possible Bridget was trying to get Dermot to change his mind about the amusement park. And yes, it could have been done to combine the two; however, I feel a memorial of that type should be placed in a place where everyone could show their respect. Not everyone goes to an amusement park, and I doubt that anyone would pay the amusement park entrance fee just to see the memorial. So, for those who don't go, they would be missing out on the memorial all together!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Amanda Newton wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 20:18 I say any kind of monument or memorial to any kind of pain shouldn't be in an amusement park. Most amusement parks have high prices to be able to enter, which means so many less people would see it!
I totally agree! It would need to be put somewhere that everyone would see it.
B. Creech
Jennashby_87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennashby-87.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B07CZMMQPM

Post by Jennashby_87 »

I can see both sides of the argument here. I feel like having it in an amusement park could feel a bit strange or out of place, but there was clearly a reason for it to be placed there in this instance. There would definitely be a lot of people that would get to see this memorial at an amusement park that might not have the opportunity to if it was located somewhere else. Also an amusement park is somewhere you would probably be with people that you love and you can experience it together.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Jennashby_87 wrote: 18 Mar 2020, 19:32 I can see both sides of the argument here. I feel like having it in an amusement park could feel a bit strange or out of place, but there was clearly a reason for it to be placed there in this instance. There would definitely be a lot of people that would get to see this memorial at an amusement park that might not have the opportunity to if it was located somewhere else. Also an amusement park is somewhere you would probably be with people that you love and you can experience it together.
You have some very good points! Thanks!
B. Creech
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I agree with separating the location of the amusement park and the memorial. It would be very disturbing to arrive at the amusement park for a day of fun and be confronted with a statue of starving children (or something similar.) The memorial would be better served if it had its own location where it would receive the reflection and honor it deserves.

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”