The amusement park and the memorial

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

The amusement park and the memorial

Post by Brenda Creech »

I have thought a lot about whether the type of memorial Bridgett wanted should be put in an amusement park. The memorial to the Irish people who suffered so much was an excellent idea, however, was an amusement park the appropriate place to have it erected? Just curious what others' thoughts are on this. I personally don't think the amusement park was the place to put this type of memorial. I felt it would be better to have it placed in the heart of activity, like a town square, or a park, where tourists and citizens alike would see and appreciate it. What are your thoughts?
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

I agree with you. A somber memorial like that would be better suited to a public square. It would be out of place (and even disrespectful) at an amusement park.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 18:57 I agree with you. A somber memorial like that would be better suited to a public square. It would be out of place (and even disrespectful) at an amusement park.
Exactly! Thank you!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I'm glad you felt this way because I agree. I think tourists just wouldn't have an appreciation for the memorial and wouldn't be in the mood for it when at an amusement park.
Dorcas Serwaa Adu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcas-serwaa-adu.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Dorcas Serwaa Adu »

I agree to a certain extent, imagine going to an amusement park for all the fun, then bam, you see all these monuments portraying pain and anguish. As my guy will say "it will dampen your mood". But in a way too, it will help remind you of what you have and why you should appreciate it. And though you'll be having fun, it will be an educational vacation🤭. It will be a different type of experience, for the idea is different and new. If it is to be made in heart of activities, like a market center, some one will not even get the time to analyze it since they might be in a haste to leave or purchase whatever they need with their mind far off. And getting to know facts like what Bridget wanted to do in a park can be a new adventure and relaxing. :D
wendilou49
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: So Into Her
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendilou49.html
Latest Review: Blossom ~ The Wild Ambassador of Tewksbury by Anna Carner
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by wendilou49 »

I agree with you about the memorial, that it would be more effective and honoring to have it somewhere other than the amusement park. Somehow there two just don't go together in my mind. Was a memorial called for? Sure, just in a different place.
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Having it separated from the amusement park would bring greater impact. Otherwise, visitors would glance at it and rush off to something else. Putting it out on its own display would cause people to stop and understand the significance of the memorial.
Everything happens for a reason...
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I think if it was designed just right, the memorial and the amusement park could co-exist. People drawn in for the fun of the park may take the time to view the memorial and exhibit and have their eyes opened to Ireland's past. This may help educate people who wouldn't typically dig into the history on their own. The exhibit may even inspire people to dig into the history more on their own, and visit other museums.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Helene_2008 wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 21:15 I'm glad you felt this way because I agree. I think tourists just wouldn't have an appreciation for the memorial and wouldn't be in the mood for it when at an amusement park.
Exactly right! If the first thing I saw when I walked into an amusement park was a memorial it would dampen my spirits. Amusement parks are for fun, and memorials are for a town square or park.
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Dorcas Serwaa Adu wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 23:09 I agree to a certain extent, imagine going to an amusement park for all the fun, then bam, you see all these monuments portraying pain and anguish. As my guy will say "it will dampen your mood". But in a way too, it will help remind you of what you have and why you should appreciate it. And though you'll be having fun, it will be an educational vacation🤭. It will be a different type of experience, for the idea is different and new. If it is to be made in heart of activities, like a market center, some one will not even get the time to analyze it since they might be in a haste to leave or purchase whatever they need with their mind far off. And getting to know facts like what Bridget wanted to do in a park can be a new adventure and relaxing. :D
You make some very good points for both sides of the coin! I thought a memorial was a great idea, I just felt it would be better off to place it somewhere other than an amusement park. However, your ideas about why and how it would work in the amusement park are thought-provoking! Thanks!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

wendilou49 wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 23:31 I agree with you about the memorial, that it would be more effective and honoring to have it somewhere other than the amusement park. Somehow there two just don't go together in my mind. Was a memorial called for? Sure, just in a different place.
I agree whole-heartedly that a memorial was called for. If it was put in the middle of town more people would see it. Not everyone goes to an amusement park, but most everyone is in a town at times for something! Thanks for your thoughts!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 09:51 I think if it was designed just right, the memorial and the amusement park could co-exist. People drawn in for the fun of the park may take the time to view the memorial and exhibit and have their eyes opened to Ireland's past. This may help educate people who wouldn't typically dig into the history on their own. The exhibit may even inspire people to dig into the history more on their own, and visit other museums.
Excellent reasons for putting it in an amusement park. It would be effective there, but I think more people would see and visit it in a town square or park. But I appreciate you sharing your thoughts, they are great!
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

cpru68 wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 08:33 Having it separated from the amusement park would bring greater impact. Otherwise, visitors would glance at it and rush off to something else. Putting it out on its own display would cause people to stop and understand the significance of the memorial.
Absolutely! Having a memorial made was meant to have people visit it and learn the history of their ancestors. It can be sad to visit a memorial but all memorials deserve a place of honor.
B. Creech
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Dorcas Serwaa Adu wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 23:09 I agree to a certain extent, imagine going to an amusement park for all the fun, then bam, you see all these monuments portraying pain and anguish. As my guy will say "it will dampen your mood". But in a way too, it will help remind you of what you have and why you should appreciate it. And though you'll be having fun, it will be an educational vacation🤭. It will be a different type of experience, for the idea is different and new. If it is to be made in heart of activities, like a market center, some one will not even get the time to analyze it since they might be in a haste to leave or purchase whatever they need with their mind far off. And getting to know facts like what Bridget wanted to do in a park can be a new adventure and relaxing. :D
Thank you for giving me a different kind of perspective on this because I was not feeling the reasons why she would choose that place.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

I think that having a memorial, somber and sad, is applicable to the amusement park. There are plenty of adults who bring children to the park who want a shady place to stop and rest and this would be the perfect place for something.
I'm torn about how this was depicted in the book. I love that the character was so adamant about having it "just so" in the park, but wonder if it is realistic as most people might want to find compromise and success.

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”