The amusement park and the memorial

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Re: The amusement park and the memorial

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

I agree with you. An amusement park seems like an odd place for a memorial. As a parent, I could see such a thing being upsetting to young children and it could be hard to explain it to them. While it's important to honor the past, I think a different setting would have made more sense.
Barbara6886
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara6886.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Barbara6886 »

I have to agree that it doesn’t belong in an amusement park. My thoughts are that it would not be taken seriously in that setting. As a parent I took the opportunity to discuss and educate my children on serious topics throughout history. This is easier done when in a setting set up for it. Having screaming, laughing crowds and roller coasters near by is not that setting.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

vermontelf wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 09:46 I think that having a memorial, somber and sad, is applicable to the amusement park. There are plenty of adults who bring children to the park who want a shady place to stop and rest and this would be the perfect place for something.
I'm torn about how this was depicted in the book. I love that the character was so adamant about having it "just so" in the park, but wonder if it is realistic as most people might want to find compromise and success.
Yeah, I wondered about that too. There could have been some kind of compromise on both sides and they could have worked it out to make everyone happy. Maybe Bridget and the developer of the amusement park were both the type for "my way or the highway." It seemed like it anyway!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Kaylee123 wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 13:06 I agree with you. An amusement park seems like an odd place for a memorial. As a parent, I could see such a thing being upsetting to young children and it could be hard to explain it to them. While it's important to honor the past, I think a different setting would have made more sense.
You are right. Plus, children going to an amusement park are there to have fun and they get bored very easily if their parents stop to linger over something! A memorial is not something you would stop to see for just a couple of minutes; it is something you would want to show respect to and learn from.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Barbara6886 wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 15:44 I have to agree that it doesn’t belong in an amusement park. My thoughts are that it would not be taken seriously in that setting. As a parent I took the opportunity to discuss and educate my children on serious topics throughout history. This is easier done when in a setting set up for it. Having screaming, laughing crowds and roller coasters near by is not that setting.
Absolutely! Children have short attention spans anyway, so the best learning environment for them is where there are as few distractions as possible!
B. Creech
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

B Creech wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 17:19 I have thought a lot about whether the type of memorial Bridgett wanted should be put in an amusement park. The memorial to the Irish people who suffered so much was an excellent idea, however, was an amusement park the appropriate place to have it erected? Just curious what others' thoughts are on this. I personally don't think the amusement park was the place to put this type of memorial. I felt it would be better to have it placed in the heart of activity, like a town square, or a park, where tourists and citizens alike would see and appreciate it. What are your thoughts?
I would think it depends on the memorial. I’ve seen memorials new trees that are planted or plaques or whole memorial museums.

I don’t think a whole museum would work for an amusement park, though I guess they have that Hall of Presidents at Disney and that’s kind of like a museum. I also don’t think a tree or plaque is quite enough. There are many other types of memorials that could be done.

Whatever it is it would have to be a compromise. But I would think a museum outside the park would be a better investment.
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

I agree, it should be keep in a park or somewhere anyone can see it.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
Ari Martinez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Victoria's Choice
Bookshelf Size: 132
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ari-martinez.html
Latest Review: Finding A Way Forward by Karen Games

Post by Ari Martinez »

Helene_2008 wrote: 04 Mar 2020, 21:15 I'm glad you felt this way because I agree. I think tourists just wouldn't have an appreciation for the memorial and wouldn't be in the mood for it when at an amusement park.
Yeah, when I think of amusement parks, I think of little kids running around everywhere just wanting to have fun, even if some adults were interested in the memorial, their children would probably start complaining about it. I would have preferred it to be at a city square or something like that.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 21:34
B Creech wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 17:19 I have thought a lot about whether the type of memorial Bridgett wanted should be put in an amusement park. The memorial to the Irish people who suffered so much was an excellent idea, however, was an amusement park the appropriate place to have it erected? Just curious what others' thoughts are on this. I personally don't think the amusement park was the place to put this type of memorial. I felt it would be better to have it placed in the heart of activity, like a town square, or a park, where tourists and citizens alike would see and appreciate it. What are your thoughts?
I would think it depends on the memorial. I’ve seen memorials new trees that are planted or plaques or whole memorial museums.

I don’t think a whole museum would work for an amusement park, though I guess they have that Hall of Presidents at Disney and that’s kind of like a museum. I also don’t think a tree or plaque is quite enough. There are many other types of memorials that could be done.

Whatever it is it would have to be a compromise. But I would think a museum outside the park would be a better investment.
I agree, a museum would be perfect. That way more of the history could be included than if there was just a wall memorial or, as you said a plaque. A museum inside an amusement park would never work as parents would not be able to focus on anything because their children wanted to go ride rides! :D
B. Creech
bellajavier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellajavier.html
Latest Review: Truth Come to Light by Taryn Feldmann

Post by bellajavier »

Agreed, memorial is supposed to be a somber event, and amusement park goes against everything it portrays. Town square should've been selected.
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

That's an excellent question. I, too, thought that an amusement park was an odd choice for placing a memorial. I felt like I was supposed to sympathize with Bridgett, but I honestly thought, "Why would you want such a macabre monument in an amusement park??" A town square or a park would be good; even something next to the main church in town. But an amusement park? Naw. That's not only weird but inappropriate, in my opinion.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

Totally agree that a memorial would be out of place in an amusement park. I don’t know why they were pushing so hard to make it happen.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
maxiphemmax
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maxiphemmax.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by maxiphemmax »

Memorials are better suited for parks or town square, going into an amusement from the word amused, and then noticing people coming to pay respect to their ancestors, the remorseful feelings as already killed the amusement. It might even be scary for children to visit such an amusement park.
Frans21
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Frans21 »

I'm agree with your thoughts and point of view as you said the sort of memorial bridget, pun parks for children and kids and also the peacefull greeny ambience is crucial in the amusement parks.
Brenda Creech

Post by Brenda Creech »

Susmita Biswas wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 21:45 I agree, it should be keep in a park or somewhere anyone can see it.
Yes! Somehow I just could not see how it would fit in with an amusement park!
B. Creech

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”