The amusement park and the memorial

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
Songjohn007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-songjohn007.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Re: The amusement park and the memorial

Post by Songjohn007 »

A better place to have a memorial is always the amusement park and think as the character indicated it in this interesting book is good enough to show it was valued.
Gifted Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gifted-soul.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Gifted Soul »

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 05 Mar 2020, 09:51 I think if it was designed just right, the memorial and the amusement park could co-exist. People drawn in for the fun of the park may take the time to view the memorial and exhibit and have their eyes opened to Ireland's past. This may help educate people who wouldn't typically dig into the history on their own. The exhibit may even inspire people to dig into the history more on their own, and visit other museums.
I agree that the geographical location of the monument has a psychological impact on the tourists and visitors that will visit the amusement park. Like someone said, they will be reminded to appreciate all that they have.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

I sensed that Bridgett was just fed up with the fairyland look at Irish history as embodied in the proposed amusement park. Her insistence on a famine memorial might not have been out of line, but the death-to-all-comers resistance by the developer was quite irrational. He should have embraced the idea and then hidden the memorial in a less fanciful part of the park. After all, it's not like his Irish-American visitors don't know about it.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

djr6090 wrote: 20 Mar 2020, 09:56 I sensed that Bridgett was just fed up with the fairyland look at Irish history as embodied in the proposed amusement park. Her insistence on a famine memorial might not have been out of line, but the death-to-all-comers resistance by the developer was quite irrational. He should have embraced the idea and then hidden the memorial in a less fanciful part of the park. After all, it's not like his Irish-American visitors don't know about it.
I agree, the developer was irrational, wanting the memorial stopped regardless of the cost. I think it became a power struggle between Dermot and Bridget, but Dermot wanted Seamus to do his dirty work for him.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Songjohn007 wrote: 20 Mar 2020, 00:59 A better place to have a memorial is always the amusement park and think as the character indicated it in this interesting book is good enough to show it was valued.
I agree the memorial was valued. It definitely needed to be on display, I just don't feel something as somber and serious as that type of memorial would be a good fit in an amusement park. However, each of us has our own opinion. That's what makes these discussions so interesting and fun! :D
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

I also agree with you. Having such a memorial within an amusement park seems quite incongruous. One would think that such a memorial would be important enough to stand on its own as a place of interest for visitors.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Miercoles wrote: 23 Mar 2020, 19:48 I also agree with you. Having such a memorial within an amusement park seems quite incongruous. One would think that such a memorial would be important enough to stand on its own as a place of interest for visitors.
Exactly! Personally, I wouldn't enjoy the rest of my day at an amusement park if I started it on a sad note. And, I would be too tired to really appreciate the memorial after I had been walking around an amusement park all day!
B. Creech
freshbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freshbook.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by freshbook »

I don't think it should have been put in a theme park. Maybe as a memorial off to the side near the entrance, but not in the heart of a theme park.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

freshbook wrote: 24 Mar 2020, 17:37 I don't think it should have been put in a theme park. Maybe as a memorial off to the side near the entrance, but not in the heart of a theme park.
I agree whole-heartedly! To me, the two just weren't a good fit. I think the memorial was a great idea, just not the right place for it to be!
B. Creech
Kaitlyn Canedy
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

No, I think that it should have been put someone that people will appreciate it. Now, I cannot say for sure that this may not have worked. In Disney World, there is much history throughout the parks where they tell you how others suffered to get where we are now. It is sort of secluded though; it is not the focus. But, indeed, most people do not even glance at these parts and it would probably have been appropriate to put the memorial in a place outside the park but is still close enough for people to visit.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
Songjohn007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-songjohn007.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Post by Songjohn007 »

Though many are of the opinion that park is better than the amusement park, but remember the author's view shows it's valuable, and most valuable heritage materials are kept well for next generations to see.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

Indeed a memorial in an amusement park sounds off. I definitely agree with your idea.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Kenesha Latoya Fowler
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenesha-latoya-fowler.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books - Billy Jack (The Great Escape) by Steve William Laible

Post by Kenesha Latoya Fowler »

I completely agree with you. While I was reading I couldn't get why she was so adamant that the memorial be erected in the amusement park. It just didn't seem like the right place. I think it would have gotten the attention and reverence it deserved in a place of its own.
"No one is ever satisfied where he is," said the switchman.
~from The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry~
Raycheal+2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20

Post by Raycheal+2020 »

Yes, it wasn't really appropriate for it to be there. I wouldn't want to see sad faces at the place where I want to go relax and have fun. I mean I wanted to have fun in the first place so why dampen my mood?
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

Having a memorial in an amusement park, especially for those who have suffered, seems odd. However, maybe Bridgett was thinking about the publicity of an amusement park, and hence, the popularity it might give to the memorial establishment. That, having it in the park may make many people aware of it since it is a new idea and concept to the Irish people.

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”