Seamus

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Seamus

Post by aacodreanu »

What is Seamus' role in the development of the story? Is there any hope for him to survive and show up in the last volume of the series?
Will the good side of him prevail?
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

I feel that Seamus was a necessary evil to the plot. I also thought for a moment at the end that Seamus was going to end up being an alter-ego of Dermot. He seemed to be a good guy that got caught up in the wrong thing and went too far down the wrong path.
aacodreanu

Post by aacodreanu »

Indeed he had a bad role in the story, only, as you said, he is more of a good guy turned bad, his worst flaw being indecisiveness and cowardness. I would have liked, though, that he be redeemed in the end.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

Personally, I didn't like Seamus. He had several opportunities to do the right thing, but each time he chooses the reverse. I think he received more than a second chance to show his good side. But his unbalanced behavior made the story a bit more intriguing.
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
aacodreanu

Post by aacodreanu »

Indeed, I have rarely met his type (among characters and people). Seemingly good, well-intended but... proving the saying "The hell is paved with good intentions" right.
jdraper16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdraper16.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by jdraper16 »

I also did not care for Seamus, I feel that he should have taken the chance to make things right without dragging little Claire into it and terrorizing her. If he was going to put himself out there and attempt to end his life anyway, why didn't he just come clean to the authorities or even Ed? Why nearly kill the little girl, too?
aacodreanu

Post by aacodreanu »

I agree, there were solutions less drastic than those he tried.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

InStoree wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 05:11 Personally, I didn't like Seamus. He had several opportunities to do the right thing, but each time he chooses the reverse. I think he received more than a second chance to show his good side. But his unbalanced behavior made the story a bit more intriguing.
I agree. I can understand that he turned down the wrong path, but he just continued to follow that path instead of turning around.
aacodreanu

Post by aacodreanu »

Juliana_Isabella wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 10:42
InStoree wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 05:11 Personally, I didn't like Seamus. He had several opportunities to do the right thing, but each time he chooses the reverse. I think he received more than a second chance to show his good side. But his unbalanced behavior made the story a bit more intriguing.
I agree. I can understand that he turned down the wrong path, but he just continued to follow that path instead of turning around.
Indeed! As another famous saying proclaims:
"Errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum (“To err is human, to persist is diabolical."
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

jdraper16 wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 09:28 I also did not care for Seamus, I feel that he should have taken the chance to make things right without dragging little Claire into it and terrorizing her. If he was going to put himself out there and attempt to end his life anyway, why didn't he just come clean to the authorities or even Ed? Why nearly kill the little girl, too?
I feel the same way. If he was going to kill himself why did he care if Hilary went home or not? Or, maybe he was so tortured that he had been so greedy and didn't protect Bridget. Still, he should never have taken Claire and done what he did to her!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Barbara6886
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara6886.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Barbara6886 »

Seamus used the excuse of being the second son and having to make his own way to justify his bad deeds. He knew Bridget was in danger and didn’t just tell her the truth. Not the way I would like to be treated by someone who claims to love me.

I don’t see his character carrying over to the next book unless it is also set in Ireland.
IchbineinBerliner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ichbineinberliner.html
Latest Review: The Memoir Man by Frances Webb

Post by IchbineinBerliner »

I agree that Seamus was a foil for Hillary, among others. I don't think he will show up in the next book. He was weak-willed and pretty boring.

There is always room for anyone to change, but that doesn't make change easy or likely.
MirageParul
Favorite Author: Terry Pratchett
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miragep.html
Latest Review: Hello God Where Are You by Sherryann Philogene
fav_author_id: 2791

Post by MirageParul »

B Creech wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 12:41
jdraper16 wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 09:28 I also did not care for Seamus, I feel that he should have taken the chance to make things right without dragging little Claire into it and terrorizing her. If he was going to put himself out there and attempt to end his life anyway, why didn't he just come clean to the authorities or even Ed? Why nearly kill the little girl, too?
I feel the same way. If he was going to kill himself why did he care if Hilary went home or not? Or, maybe he was so tortured that he had been so greedy and didn't protect Bridget. Still, he should never have taken Claire and done what he did to her!
Agreed. I kept expecting Seamus to redeem himself in the end, but disappointingly, he didn't.
"I've realised that anyone can be a critic but it takes a remarkable person to offer praise."
-Louise Penny, in the acknowledgements section of "Still Life"
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

MirageP wrote: 14 Mar 2020, 13:01
B Creech wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 12:41
Agreed. I kept expecting Seamus to redeem himself in the end, but disappointingly, he didn't.
I know, I was hoping he would too. Perhaps he was so torn between not protecting Bridgett and being caught in the middle of the amusement park deal he finally lost his grip on reality. He let his greed outweigh his heart and knew it was wrong, but it was too late.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Barbara6886 wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 12:58 Seamus used the excuse of being the second son and having to make his own way to justify his bad deeds. He knew Bridget was in danger and didn’t just tell her the truth. Not the way I would like to be treated by someone who claims to love me.

I don’t see his character carrying over to the next book unless it is also set in Ireland.
No, it is not the way I would want to be treated either! I don't think he will show up in the next book either.
B. Creech

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”