Seamus

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Re: Seamus

Post by Brenda Creech »

IchbineinBerliner wrote: 11 Mar 2020, 15:36 I agree that Seamus was a foil for Hillary, among others. I don't think he will show up in the next book. He was weak-willed and pretty boring.

There is always room for anyone to change, but that doesn't make change easy or likely.
I don't think Seamus will show up in the next book either. If he does, and I read it, I hope his character is better developed than in this book!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
KDJ
Favorite Book: Elenor
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdj.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by KDJ »

Seams seems to really be struggling in his role. He loved briget, but the money he would get from the dermot was always in the back of his head. The fact Seamus suspected him in the murder of his girlfriend/fiancé should have made him go to the police. I think he has to be in the next book, even if it is just a mention about how he is or changed or something. 😳
He that loves reading has everything within his reach. —William Godwin
rjohnston815
Currently Reading: Fix: Sex, Lies & Banking
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rjohnston815.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by rjohnston815 »

I actually felt bad for Seamus, he got involved in something for the right reasons and then ended up in a terrible situation. Now, that said, his decision to kidnap Claire was not a good one but desperate people do desperate things... If he were braver things could have gone a lot differently.
Renee Johnston :techie-studyinggray:
Lover of books and life...
Brooklyn, NY
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

Seamus was an important part of the storyline, but I feel that his death is not final and that he will return in another book. He needs to redeem himself. I thought his storyline in the end of the book was very odd. He wanted Hillary to leave and is trying to kill her child, but decides to kill himself instead.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

I hope his good side prevails. By confessing everything to the Garda about Dermot, I'm hoping that is an indication that he will change his greedy ways.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I always find it interesting to read about characters who aren't necessarily evil but find themselves in ugly situations due to their flaws. So I actually thought Seamus was quite interesting, though I'm not sure we'll be seeing more of him.
Cynthia_Oluchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cynthia-oluchi.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini

Post by Cynthia_Oluchi »

It is very necessary that Seamus shows up in the coming volume of the series to face a weightier fate! He is seemingly good, but evil and cunning at heart.
Dannyphery
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Dannyphery »

Seamus was quite an intriguing character... When you thought he would do the right thing for once and expecting him to redeem himself with the opportunity, then boom he tells you he's still the same and ends up doing the wrong thing again
SophiaNd
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sophiand.html
Latest Review: Rise of the Savior by Antoine Bonner

Post by SophiaNd »

From the looks of it, Seamus brought the right twist that this book needed with his bad behaviors and reasons to justify them.
TopaAzul062
Favorite Book: Cartouches, Field Guide and Identification Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topaazul062.html
Latest Review: Basic Training for the Self-Publishing Battlefields by Lewis Kempfer

Post by TopaAzul062 »

Seamus is more or less like an anti-villain of sorts. He has a goal in mind that he hopes will come through so that those in his homeland can benefit from the economic boost. While he prefers to do things by the books, an unexpected roadblock derailed his plans.

Some see him as evil but he did his best to warn those of whom he knew were in harms way. He was heart broken at the news of his love interest and nearly flipped when he heard about Sarah and tried to seek out the ones responsible. Hearing that his associate was behind it pushed him to do whatever it took to see that no one else got hurt; even though it was unconventional.

At the end, he made amends as best he could.
Purti10
Currently Reading: A Man Called Ove
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-purti10.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Purti10 »

I didn't expect the story to end for him in this way. I thought he would turn out to be more villainous after the death of Bridget as he had nothing to hide then. But nothing that sort of happened which left me a little disappointed.
Songjohn007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-songjohn007.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Post by Songjohn007 »

Seamus character in the book is bad and I don't think in anyway it can be changed in other volume of the book if possibly released, but pending on the author's agenda.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Tomah wrote: 16 Mar 2020, 02:01 I always find it interesting to read about characters who aren't necessarily evil but find themselves in ugly situations due to their flaws. So I actually thought Seamus was quite interesting, though I'm not sure we'll be seeing more of him.
I love your response it is somewhat what I think too. I like gray characters. I think they are the most realistic.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
freshbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freshbook.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by freshbook »

I thought the good side of him was going to show at the ending of this novel. But it turned out he went completely off the rails with his plan to 'scare Hillary'. I don't think his character will ever turn around.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

I didn’t read the other books in the series, but Seamus seemed limited to this book. The next book is about basketball and I’m not really sure there was much indication in this book that he had anything to do with the sport.

I did hope that he would redeem himself by saving Hillary and Claire but kidnapping a child to scare them to safely was not the best plan. It was more cowardly than standing up to Dermont. The fact that he confessed to a priest also made me think that he had just asked for his last rights before he died. There was mention of a Catholic Church and it would make sense that he was Irish Catholic and requesting his last rights which is done when someone is mortality injured or on their deathbed.

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”