Help the characters

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Re: Help the characters

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Raycheal+2020 wrote: 27 Mar 2020, 01:29 It's possible the author might give Ed a lot more presence in the next series, if there would be such like that.
I am not sure. Everything points to the fact that there will be book four. But this one is published in 2016 so I am not sure.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White's Sub Snips by Laura Moss White
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

aacodreanu wrote: 11 Mar 2020, 13:40
camwilliams wrote: 11 Mar 2020, 12:22 I would agree with what seems to be the popular opinion here. I liked what I got to see of Ed and Hillary's relationship. They really seem to love and care for each other. But as the book continued they see less and less of each other. Based upon Ed's personality, I find it hard to believe that he would leave Hillary or Claire by themselves to go to a seminar after Bridget's death, and definitely not after Sarah's death.
Indeed, rather contradictory and less than plausible. And the man is a detective, no less. One thing the couple managed to do in this book: they got pregnant. :). Not easy with him away most of the time.
Haha! :lol2: That is a valid point! I (like many others) agree that Ed was pushed to the background throughout the whole book.
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Elmaestro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elmaestro.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by Elmaestro »

I think the husband to Hillary should have been developed more to bring out his outstanding character in the story considering that he was too supportive to Hillary.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Honestly, I think this book has an almost perfect balance between main and supporting characters. I hear that some readers would've liked more participation of her husband but I think this was her quest. There are some things we need to figure out on our own. If anything, I would've liked to see more of Sarah because she was such a lovely lady!
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

aacodreanu wrote: 11 Mar 2020, 13:40
camwilliams wrote: 11 Mar 2020, 12:22 I would agree with what seems to be the popular opinion here. I liked what I got to see of Ed and Hillary's relationship. They really seem to love and care for each other. But as the book continued they see less and less of each other. Based upon Ed's personality, I find it hard to believe that he would leave Hillary or Claire by themselves to go to a seminar after Bridget's death, and definitely not after Sarah's death.
Indeed, rather contradictory and less than plausible. And the man is a detective, no less. One thing the couple managed to do in this book: they got pregnant. :). Not easy with him away most of the time.
This is really contradictory. :roll:
JohnKasha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johnkasha.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by JohnKasha »

The author made us feel that the husband lacked in character development...he should have added some bits of life to him.
Sonasteve
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Sonasteve »

Hillary deserves a better person that Seamus who loved her and he a greedy person he was more focused on getting his money even though he knew Bridget could be in danger. Hillary deserves someone who values her more than money.
eliviac35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eliviac35.html
Latest Review: Tears & Laughters by Ray R. F.

Post by eliviac35 »

aacodreanu wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 12:39
B Creech wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 12:35 I think Hilary's husband should have had a more prominent place in the story. He was very supportive of Hilary but he just wasn't around enough.
Yes, and I don't know if the author wanted him to be absent or this is just as it came out, sort of she forgot about him, being too focused on the activity of the wife.
I definitely feel that the author was more focused on the activity of the wife. It makes me wonder if she let him fall out of the story-line or if she truly forgot about him as a character.
Just_jay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-just-jay.html
Latest Review: Tears and Trombones by Nanci Lee Woody

Post by Just_jay »

I think the author had his own reasons for letting the husband not be consistent.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

Just_jay wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 06:10 I think the author had his own reasons for letting the husband not be consistent.
For sure she does, only I sort of expected such reasons to be visible to the readers too.
HusseinJ
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-husseinj.html
Latest Review: Leadership by Craig B. Whelden

Post by HusseinJ »

The husband should have been given more attention and development in the book. He appeared too left out.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by aacodreanu »

HusseinJ wrote: 10 May 2020, 14:10 The husband should have been given more attention and development in the book. He appeared too left out.
Also my feeling. Thank you for your comment.
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

It may be the author's style of writing but I think that Ed would have been more involved and related to Hillary in the course of the story, as loving couple they were.
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

I observed that Hillary's husband was quite hidden, but I think it's part of her character development, because if Ed was more involved, I am sure he might help Hillary with her insecurities and take the fear from her.
Grace Bela
Currently Reading: Jesus Calling
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grace-bela.html
Latest Review: Moon Luck by Wayne Scott Harral

Post by Grace Bela »

aacodreanu wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 14:47 Which of the characters deserves more consistency and how could that be achieved?
Would a more defined participation of the supporting characters in the story make the main one, Hillary become less important or would that make her stand out better?
The mother-daughter relationship was definitely a strength of the novel to me. I think more detail about supporting characters could make this relationship even better if we could see Hillary and Claire together more often with other characters. Likewise, I felt like her husband wasn't a large part of the novel, so I would like to have read more scenes with him.

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”