Help the characters

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Help the characters

Post by aacodreanu »

Which of the characters deserves more consistency and how could that be achieved?
Would a more defined participation of the supporting characters in the story make the main one, Hillary become less important or would that make her stand out better?
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

I was hoping to see more of her husband in the book. He was a little inconsistent. I think he would have helped her with the investigation more.
aacodreanu

Post by aacodreanu »

Exactly my feeling. And I could not see the point because she did not do very well, it was more like the circumstances solved the situation. Too bad the husband was not "allowed" to act.
InStoree
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 181
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-instoree.html
Latest Review: The Mermaid Broker by Sue Hinkin

Post by InStoree »

I also felt that the husband could have contributed more to Hillary's issues. He seemed to be vaguely implied in the honeymoon and Hillary's research.
Love is the only power out there that trumps hatred, grief, sadness, or anger.
~Tayma Tameem
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

I agree with all of you. In various occasions I wondered about his limited presence. A stronger interaction with Hillary and Claire would have offered more depth to them all.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I think Hilary's husband should have had a more prominent place in the story. He was very supportive of Hilary but he just wasn't around enough.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
aacodreanu

Post by aacodreanu »

B Creech wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 12:35 I think Hilary's husband should have had a more prominent place in the story. He was very supportive of Hilary but he just wasn't around enough.
Yes, and I don't know if the author wanted him to be absent or this is just as it came out, sort of she forgot about him, being too focused on the activity of the wife.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

aacodreanu wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 12:39
B Creech wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 12:35 I think Hilary's husband should have had a more prominent place in the story. He was very supportive of Hilary but he just wasn't around enough.
Yes, and I don't know if the author wanted him to be absent or this is just as it came out, sort of she forgot about him, being too focused on the activity of the wife.
True! It wasn't exactly the belated honeymoon I would have wanted! :D
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

I could agree with the author. I see the point of making the husband a bit less involved but, I also see the point in why he should have been more involved. Its like that story where what seems to be good may be bad and vice versa. Either way it is alright
aacodreanu

Post by aacodreanu »

Beatus wrote: 10 Mar 2020, 15:16 I could agree with the author. I see the point of making the husband a bit less involved but, I also see the point in why he should have been more involved. Its like that story where what seems to be good may be bad and vice versa. Either way it is alright
I agree with the first part of what you said: "what seems to be good may be bad", I thought about it too, that it was a strategy. There wasn't any vice versa though. Perhaps it would have been alright, or at least symmetrical.
camwilliams
Currently Reading: Triple Zero
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-camwilliams.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by camwilliams »

I would agree with what seems to be the popular opinion here. I liked what I got to see of Ed and Hillary's relationship. They really seem to love and care for each other. But as the book continued they see less and less of each other. Based upon Ed's personality, I find it hard to believe that he would leave Hillary or Claire by themselves to go to a seminar after Bridget's death, and definitely not after Sarah's death.
aacodreanu

Post by aacodreanu »

camwilliams wrote: 11 Mar 2020, 12:22 I would agree with what seems to be the popular opinion here. I liked what I got to see of Ed and Hillary's relationship. They really seem to love and care for each other. But as the book continued they see less and less of each other. Based upon Ed's personality, I find it hard to believe that he would leave Hillary or Claire by themselves to go to a seminar after Bridget's death, and definitely not after Sarah's death.
Indeed, rather contradictory and less than plausible. And the man is a detective, no less. One thing the couple managed to do in this book: they got pregnant. :). Not easy with him away most of the time.
kmittag67
Favorite Author: Jim Butcher
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmittag67.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 2907

Post by kmittag67 »

I was intrigued by Bridget's character. She was a strong presence with a fierce, compassionate and loving personality. I would have enjoyed having her for a lengthier period of time in the storyline. Of course, once she is murdered, I would still miss her. The novel was a delight to read. I just wish there was more of Bridget.
Anyone who has time to clean is not reading nearly enough :wink:
aacodreanu

Post by aacodreanu »

kmittag67 wrote: 15 Mar 2020, 17:43 I was intrigued by Bridget's character. She was a strong presence with a fierce, compassionate and loving personality. I would have enjoyed having her for a lengthier period of time in the storyline. Of course, once she is murdered, I would still miss her. The novel was a delight to read. I just wish there was more of Bridget.
Indeed. The plot would have taken a different turn, had she lived. Perhaps she would have set Seamus straight.
Namaste23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-namaste23.html
Latest Review: Did you know by Ashok Bhaskaran

Post by Namaste23 »

I think, by the way Ed was described, that he would have gotten more involved in Hillary's investigation. Especially after Sarah was murdered. It may have taken away from Hillary though like asked in the original post.

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”