Do you like Gillam‘s writing style at the beginning of the book "House of Eire" ?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
Marshal mutai
Currently Reading: The Sojourners
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marshal-mutai.html
Latest Review: Christ Without a Bride by Michael J. Ray

Re: Do you like Gillam‘s writing style at the beginning of the book "House of Eire" ?

Post by Marshal mutai »

It was quite a tussle connecting the dots at first. Gradually, the story became captivating
Kemmy11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemmy11.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Kemmy11 »

Nerea wrote: 27 Mar 2020, 01:27 I did not like the pace at the beginning of the story. It's slow and I found it hard to connect with the story. This made me give up on completing reading the whole book.
The book was too slow at the beginning, I felt like giving up on the book but I decided to complete it and found it to be quite interesting.
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 26 Mar 2020, 13:41
Princepetr10 wrote: 26 Mar 2020, 06:49 At the beginning of the book , i had difficulties in understanding . The first few pages seemed heavy for me . As I struggled reading , I began to enjoy it and got the Rhythm of the book . The writer used this pattern and tools to capture the readers .
I think I fully understood the book after finished it. I had trouble at the beginning too. I credit it due to the fact that this is a series after all, so maybe I missed out on not reading previous books.
This is why it is good, to read a book to the end before dismissing it. Unless it is informal.
VivianLove
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianlove.html
Latest Review: False Trails by Whittney Corum

Post by VivianLove »

Sushan wrote: 29 Mar 2020, 00:14 It will make some of us curious, and some of us bored. The lucky ones will get through and read the whole thing, while others give it up
I agree. Personally I really enjoy the writing style. The author has a good sense of rhythm in terms of how long each sentence should be, but I think the large amount of little details can get a bit annoying.
wendilou49
Favorite Book: Code Name Lily
Currently Reading: So Into Her
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendilou49.html
Latest Review: Blossom ~ The Wild Ambassador of Tewksbury by Anna Carner
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by wendilou49 »

I felt this book started off slowly, too much preparation for the trip instead of getting on with it. I like a book to grab me from page one!
ThomasCShearman1976
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thomascshearman1976.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ThomasCShearman1976 »

Aha! I've just read this book and I really liked the style of the introduction. I agree that not much happened, but its literary value was high and I liked the density of the writing.

I got annoyed in the second quarter of the book with the endless flight over and ambling around.

On a pure language basis, I felt the novel was much stronger at the start than at the end, and I assume that's because the author is more au fait with the US than Ireland.
Ada Ling
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ada-ling.html
Latest Review: Catapulting Commissions by Anthony Garcia

Post by Ada Ling »

I feel the start of this book is slow. I had problem to get what the author want to cover. The author could use simpler words for the book.
Agbata Precious 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious-1.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited

Post by Agbata Precious 1 »

I will say this book as really confusing at the end, it really took tome for my to understand. Especially the end was off.

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”