Was the Mystery Simplistic?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2020 Book of the month, "House of Eire" by June Gillam.
AlexisLib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexislib.html
Latest Review: The Girl Behind the Wall--Edgar Allan Poe, the Girl, and the Mysterious Raven Murders by Bruce Wetterau

Was the Mystery Simplistic?

Post by AlexisLib »

I haven't read many current mysteries. The mystery seemed very simple to me. We knew who was going to be killed (except Sarah), who did it and why; there weren't really any surprises or complexity to the plot. Is this common? I watch a lot of murder mystery TV shows (Criminal Minds, Law and Order, CSI, etc.) and they are much more complex than this.

This book almost felt like more of a novel portraying relationships with a murder thrown in. What do you think?
JohnKasha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-johnkasha.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by JohnKasha »

Yes it was simplistic because everything most of the chatacters did was too predictable...a mystery story should have lots of suspense in it to make it more enjoyable to the reader.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

In the end my impression wat that the mystery was an excuse to develop the characters' personal stories and write about the Irish setting.
Ciao :)
Massimo
AlexisLib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alexislib.html
Latest Review: The Girl Behind the Wall--Edgar Allan Poe, the Girl, and the Mysterious Raven Murders by Bruce Wetterau

Post by AlexisLib »

NetMassimo wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 05:04 In the end my impression wat that the mystery was an excuse to develop the characters' personal stories and write about the Irish setting.
Interesting point! I hadn't thought about that. I wonder if wanting to develop the characters' stories is more prominent when an author is writing a series.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

AlexisLib wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 20:50
NetMassimo wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 05:04 In the end my impression wat that the mystery was an excuse to develop the characters' personal stories and write about the Irish setting.
Interesting point! I hadn't thought about that. I wonder if wanting to develop the characters' stories is more prominent when an author is writing a series.
I guess it depends on what the author wants to tell. My point is just a guess based on this novel only, as I haven't read the other novels in this series. I'd be curious to read opinions from other people who read all the series to understand whether this novel is typical of this series or is more focused on its characters than the previous ones.
Massimo
Sonasteve
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Sonasteve »

Complexity and surprises is an added advantage to any plot of a novel. This novel has a simple mystery which is common and it should contain a complex content that will capture a reader more than it is now.
FaithMO19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmo19.html
Latest Review: Final Diagnosis by J. T. Madicus

Post by FaithMO19 »

Yes it was. Complexities sometimes destroy the beauty of things
eliviac35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eliviac35.html
Latest Review: Tears & Laughters by Ray R. F.

Post by eliviac35 »

I wholeheartedly agree with you. The character development seemed to be more important to the author than the mystery aspect throughout the book.
Bets_9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bets-9.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Bets_9 »

Yes, it was simplistic. It wasn't much of a mystery. I also didn't think there was much character development.
PRECIOUSreads
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preciousreads.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by PRECIOUSreads »

I think it was very simplistic, yes, but that in this case is not a bad thing. I've always found the straightforward is the best way to go in some cases. Having too much plot twists in a mystery can distract you from the storyline itself.
PRECIOUSreads :techie-studyingbrown:
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sharon2056 »

I agree with you, the mysteries were really simplistic as I could predict what was to happen. I wish the author would have thrown in mystries that were a little complex to make it more intriguing.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Sharon2056 wrote: 12 Apr 2020, 14:32 I agree with you, the mysteries were really simplistic as I could predict what was to happen. I wish the author would have thrown in mystries that were a little complex to make it more intriguing.
Mysteries that were a little more complex were what I expected from a novel that's part of a series labeled as mystery. Possibly that's why in the end I wasn't satisfied.
Massimo
J_odoyo
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-j-odoyo.html
Latest Review: Epicenter by Carrie Hannah

Post by J_odoyo »

I also had the same feeling. The mysteries were really less complex and predictable. I think the author could have tried to at least make them a bit complex.
The more books you read the more choices you have
– Toni Morrison
Just_jay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-just-jay.html
Latest Review: Tears and Trombones by Nanci Lee Woody

Post by Just_jay »

I also felt that. I have a knack for these things, even more than other people.Even in movies, most of the time I am able to predict the real antagonist. In the same way, I could predict the next few lines. However, I couldn't predict everything.Thus, in my opinion to say that it was too simplistic is not so correct. I liked the book overall.
hmorgan90
Currently Reading: Hollow City
Bookshelf Size: 329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hmorgan90.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by hmorgan90 »

Yes! Nothing happens until halfway through the book. Lots of slow build up. We went on vacation with the family and then something horrible happened. It didn't really feel like a mystery to me. Great writing though. I really enjoyed it.
May we show increased kindness toward one another. ~Thomas S. Monson
:animals-frog:

Return to “Discuss "House of Eire" by June Gillam”