Favorite fantasy and/or science fiction?

For March 2020 we will be reading books in the fantasy/science fiction genre.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Favorite fantasy and/or science fiction?

Post by Heidi M Simone »

What would you say is your favorite fantasy and/or science fiction book(s)?

What makes that book(s) your favorite?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I have many favorite fantasy/or science fiction books: Chilling Effect by Valerie Valdes, The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, The Bear and the Nightingale trilogy to name a few.

Interesting characters, smart plot points, real characters & situations to relate, good world-building, and good writing
made them my favorites.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
ms_vinkel
Currently Reading: The Stranger
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-vinkel.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by ms_vinkel »

Hmm, well... if it's a favorite that means you read (then reread) it a lot, yes?

For fantasy, besides Harry Potter, I still like re-reading Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire and Queen of the Damned. I won't say they're perfect books but I like the unfolding of events and the characters.

I also fall back on Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card with science fiction. But, these are old picks, :oops: I haven't entertained a reread of recently reads.
raylenejanice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raylenejanice.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by raylenejanice »

I genuinely enjoyed the Harry Potter series. I loved the archetypal characters and metaphysical interplay. I freely admit I don't read much science fiction OR fantasy, so I have a shallow pool from which to draw here. I absolutely LOVED The Sparrow. It was raw and real. The characters were incredibly relatable. For my science fiction pick, The Sparrow gives Stranger in a Strange Land a run for its money. I learned a lot from both books. I love a book that entertains AND teaches without getting too preachy.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

raylenejanice wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 19:24 I genuinely enjoyed the Harry Potter series. I loved the archetypal characters and metaphysical interplay. I freely admit I don't read much science fiction OR fantasy, so I have a shallow pool from which to draw here. I absolutely LOVED The Sparrow. It was raw and real. The characters were incredibly relatable. For my science fiction pick, The Sparrow gives Stranger in a Strange Land a run for its money. I learned a lot from both books. I love a book that entertains AND teaches without getting too preachy.
I love the Harry Potter series as well!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
vdewar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vdewar.html
Latest Review: The Second American Revolution: by Liberty Nation

Post by vdewar »

I have four fantasy series I follow. Three are finished, and 4th about to be. RA Salvatore has a series 'The Legend of Drizzt'. 17 books long or 5 high volumes. Excellent! Terry Brooks' number in the 20's starting the Story of the Elfstones. Excellent too! Terry B can't remember the last name wrote the series of Richard and Kalan (I think) 12 books not as good as the others. Lastly is Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. 14 books and he passed away writing #11. Brandon Saunderson was asked by Robert's wife to finish the story. He did, but you could tell the difference.
I love books with a long storyline. I need to gather them up to read again!
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 00:03 I have many favorite fantasy/or science fiction books: Chilling Effect by Valerie Valdes, The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern, The Bear and the Nightingale trilogy to name a few.

Interesting characters, smart plot points, real characters & situations to relate, good world-building, and good writing
made them my favorites.
Ah, The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern and The Bear and the Nightingale trilogy are ones that I've been meaning to read. Good to know that you found them to be good and that they have great qualities within their stories!

Thank you for sharing! :tiphat:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Ms Vinkel wrote: 06 Mar 2020, 18:52 Hmm, well... if it's a favorite that means you read (then reread) it a lot, yes?

For fantasy, besides Harry Potter, I still like re-reading Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire and Queen of the Damned. I won't say they're perfect books but I like the unfolding of events and the characters.

I also fall back on Brave New World by Aldous Huxley and Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card with science fiction. But, these are old picks, :oops: I haven't entertained a reread of recently reads.
Re-reading books is definitely a great way to know if certain books are your favorites!

Those books you mentioned sound great, though I actually have never read any of them :oops:

Thank you for sharing! :tiphat:
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 23:29
raylenejanice wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 19:24 I genuinely enjoyed the Harry Potter series. I loved the archetypal characters and metaphysical interplay. I freely admit I don't read much science fiction OR fantasy, so I have a shallow pool from which to draw here. I absolutely LOVED The Sparrow. It was raw and real. The characters were incredibly relatable. For my science fiction pick, The Sparrow gives Stranger in a Strange Land a run for its money. I learned a lot from both books. I love a book that entertains AND teaches without getting too preachy.
I love the Harry Potter series as well!
Harry Potter is definitely my favorite series of all time! This book series is the reason I love reading. :romance-smileyheart:
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

vdewar wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 01:14 I have four fantasy series I follow. Three are finished, and 4th about to be. RA Salvatore has a series 'The Legend of Drizzt'. 17 books long or 5 high volumes. Excellent! Terry Brooks' number in the 20's starting the Story of the Elfstones. Excellent too! Terry B can't remember the last name wrote the series of Richard and Kalan (I think) 12 books not as good as the others. Lastly is Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time. 14 books and he passed away writing #11. Brandon Saunderson was asked by Robert's wife to finish the story. He did, but you could tell the difference.
I love books with a long storyline. I need to gather them up to read again!
I haven't read any of these, but some of them definitely sound interesting. Thank you for sharing! :tiphat:
Heidi

vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan has been my favorite for several decades (although I really like David Eddings writings too). I am so excited that there is a plan for this series to become a tv series on Amazon Prime. It may be a bit of a letdown like the last season of Game of Thrones, but I accept that risk of disappointment.
vdewar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vdewar.html
Latest Review: The Second American Revolution: by Liberty Nation

Post by vdewar »

Oh, I didn't know that. It would make a great series. Hopefully those two showrunners are too busy to notice.
Alyssa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Alyssa »

Hush Hush and Fallen are the two series that got me into fantasy books, Fallen is probably my favourite because I love the complex characters and how it’s a whole different world right under your nose.
Like some other people have mentioned Harry Potter is also really enjoyable no matter how many times I read it.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

vermontelf wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 09:25 The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan has been my favorite for several decades (although I really like David Eddings writings too). I am so excited that there is a plan for this series to become a tv series on Amazon Prime. It may be a bit of a letdown like the last season of Game of Thrones, but I accept that risk of disappointment.
I liked A Song of Ice and Fire book series, and for a while Game of Thrones show. You're right, though, the last season was pretty bad. I don't think I've read The Wheel of Time before, but it seems like it would be good to check out!
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Alyssa wrote: 09 Mar 2020, 18:54 Hush Hush and Fallen are the two series that got me into fantasy books, Fallen is probably my favourite because I love the complex characters and how it’s a whole different world right under your nose.
Like some other people have mentioned Harry Potter is also really enjoyable no matter how many times I read it.
I've been meaning to read both of these. Thank you for the reminder!

Also, Harry Potter is the best! :D
Heidi

Return to “March 2020 Genre Discussion”