Project Kata

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Project Kata

Post by Nerea »

Project Kata’s invisibility quality brings chills and suspense in the story. Being in the same room with Project Kata, not knowing what Kata can do to you, can be frustrating and scary. I think that’s what Dennison experienced in the mission to search for Project Kata. What other characters’ quality contribute to the suspense in the story?
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Ariely 20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ariely-20.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ariely 20 »

Project Kata is definitely a badass. I love how cunning and calculated he is in his actions. And that camouflage ability adds to the suspense he brings.
Drakka Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drakka-reader.html
Latest Review: Eternal Bones by Jon State

Post by Drakka Reader »

In terms of others, while Kata's invisibility is intimidating in a predatory manner, Tau's strength is terrifying in a different way. A juggernaut of strength brings to mind some kind of superhuman or giant animal, which I feel is just as terrifying.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Nerea wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 00:35 Project Kata’s invisibility quality brings chills and suspense in the story. Being in the same room with Project Kata, not knowing what Kata can do to you, can be frustrating and scary. I think that’s what Dennison experienced in the mission to search for Project Kata. What other characters’ quality contribute to the suspense in the story?
I think Kata's speed was scary also. Knowing how fast he was and that he could keep himself camouflaged I think Dennison had to have been terrified, and rightfully so!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Tavaiel26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tavaiel26 »

I feel like, besides his powers, Kata planning was his strength. He was able to avoid showing the extent of his abilities for months! (for example how fast he could camouflage) He was able to escape the facility in a way that put only a couple of the deaths directly in his or Tau's hands. Some of these details were brilliant!
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

Kata's hidden intelligence (hidden to the scientists at least) greatly contributed to the suspense in the story. I recall certain moments in the book between Chatton and Kata in which Chatton sensed that the Project knew more than "it" displayed, and this unnerved him. I particularly enjoyed seeing Kata set up his plan for escape and then execute it.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

I thought Dr. Renfield's detective spirit added a lot of suspense in the first half of the book.
raindropreader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by raindropreader »

To be honest I felt like the suspense was there throughout the book after realizing that this corporation was able to literally enslave individuals and to operate on their bodies. Knowing that the company had that type of power leaves you wondering what else could happen because of that power throughout the book.
DragonLight877
Favorite Author: Patrick Rothfuss
Favorite Book: The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonlight877.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
fav_author_id: 3201

Post by DragonLight877 »

I think Kata's hidden intelligence did really add to the suspense, like leximutia said. But also I think just us knowing he was Kalin Taylor did a lot for suspense too. For a lot of it we were just in the dark and scared as Kalin.
[MagicDragonInc]
Currently Reading: Dagger's Destiny
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magicdragoninc.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by [MagicDragonInc] »

I'm not sure if this necessarily adds suspense but I thought Dr. Dennison's quality of consistently underestimating Kalin and Tau added flavor to his character and to intense situations. The fact that we see his side from the prologue and start off with sympathizing with him, only to read through and come to understand just how detached he is from reality is fascinating and frankly scary. When Kata suspects that Dennison raped Tau also sent chills down my spine. When they both had him tied up with Dr. Chatton, and Dennison kept ordering them around... this sent a different set of chills down my spine. It was like he decides what is and is not reality? Perhaps he is worse than Mason? I think this dynamic and these characteristics of Dennison added emotion, anticipation and potentially suspense.
VictorKE
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victorke.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by VictorKE »

His intelligent played a very significant role as far as suspense is concerned.
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Post by Paige Alvarado »

I think that Mason's "power" is the worst of all. He had the ability of having Kalin's clone created and then killing it, so that he would have a super intelligent 'project' to play with. He was very powerful in that he brainwashed everyone to believe that Kata was, in fact, a Project and just thought that he was human. It appears to be a bit of satire about government systems and I think it was very cleverly written.
[Bree4521]
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bree4521.html
Latest Review: Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

Post by [Bree4521] »

Project Kata was the most suspenseful character in the book for multiple reasons. His determination to be free and not be a slave was a huge factor, and definitely his powers, but just the fact that we knew he didn't belong there because he was a human really drove the story. Each chapter it's like I was tense to see how close he got to making a plan of escape or convincing someone he was who he said.
As for other characters, I would have to point out Tau because his innocence caused me to wonder, especially towards the middle of the book, if he would turn on Kalin. It's obvious the characters Renfield and Dennison add to the suspense: one's a driving force to break Kalin free and do the right thing while the other is maliciously against it.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I think timing builds suspense. At first, we have the two-week deadline. Then the looming idea that the projects will be sold off. Also, because the book is written in flashback, we know that it is leading to a break out attempt. That builds the anticipation all the way through.
Faithful Oso
Currently Reading: Provoked To Anger
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Faithful Oso »

Project Kata was definitely the bomb, his wisdom and height of intelligence increased the suspense knowing fully well you couldn't predict Kata's next move.

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”