The Ugly /dark side of humans.

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
AvocaDebo621
Currently Reading: The Daily Stoic
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avocadebo621.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: The Ugly /dark side of humans.

Post by AvocaDebo621 »

The ugliest part is not necessarily the individual acts themselves, but the thought process of the people performing them. One of the acts that freaked me out was what they did to Kalin to dehumanize him.
Honest-reviewer
Currently Reading: The Lost Symbol
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-honest-reviewer.html
Latest Review: A Walk Through the Grapes by David Jackson

Post by Honest-reviewer »

I have not read this book yet but wanted to read it soon. Now looking at all these posts it seems like the book is barbaric and disturbing. Now I’m in a dilemma!
brown_gal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by brown_gal »

This book is probably the darkest book I’ve ever read. Tau was projected to so many inhumane methods. It broke my heart to read it. This is true that humans have dark tendencies, but reading it as such was horrible.
Gathoni1991
Currently Reading: Elf Accord
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathoni1991.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Gathoni1991 »

Julie Petitbon wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 09:20
Arimart99 wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 19:39 The ugliest thing is not necessarily the acts themselves, but the mindset of the people performing them. Sadly, the human mind can be such an ugly thing, and it's something that we've seen throughout our own history. One of the things that grossed me out was what they did to Kalin to dehumanize him.
This is a really good point. It is disturbing to think about the ugliness of people who can commit atrocious acts upon others. The torturous acts performed in the book are cruel and dehumanizing. Mason and Dennison trying to dehumanize Kaling was pretty ugly and disturbing.
The line between humanity and monstrosity is a really thin one. One change in the way of life and people turn to savages in a blink of an eye. So sad,
we are always eager to tap to that dark side of ours.
Faithful Oso
Currently Reading: Provoked To Anger
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Faithful Oso »

The dehumanizing of Kalin was the ugliest part for me. i'm sure he wasn't expecting and inhumane treatment when he agreed to do the experiment.
Kemmy11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemmy11.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Kemmy11 »

the inhumane act expressed towards project Kata was the darkest and ugliest part for me.
ZettieOby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by ZettieOby »

The dehumanizing of Kalin was pretty disturbing. The goes a long way to show how dark and terrible the human mind mind is.
Odette Chace
Favorite Book: The History of Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 576
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odette-chace.html
Latest Review: Everyday Pocket Poetry by LoAnn Twedt

Post by Odette Chace »

Arimart99 wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 19:39 The ugliest thing is not necessarily the acts themselves, but the mindset of the people performing them. Sadly, the human mind can be such an ugly thing, and it's something that we've seen throughout our own history. One of the things that grossed me out was what they did to Kalin to dehumanize him.
I agree. The mindset of the scientists allowed them to be cruel day after day without giving it much thought, and it only escalated over time.
ZettieOby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by ZettieOby »

The dehumanizing and pain acclimation of Kalin takes the cake. Indeed the heart of man is desperately wicked who can know it?
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The projects were not considered to be human and therefore had no rights as humans. At the end of the story, they went on a killing spree and eliminated those who worked at GenTech. They showed that they were just as capable as the "humans" of violent and vengeful behavior. The projects imitated the darkest of human behaviors!
UzmaKhan
Currently Reading: The Woman Before Wallis
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uzmakhan.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by UzmaKhan »

The part that horrified me the most was how the clones aka Projects were treated as slaves devoid of any rights and freedom. Though the clones were created by humans but their exploitation for selfish gains wasn't acceptable.
kljrox
Favorite Book: The Pentagon Years
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kljrox.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by kljrox »

The ugliest part of the story for me was the fact that no one, including Renfield, believed the clones were anything other than an object to play with. I know that Renfield was there in a since to protect project Tau from extreme measures during pain acclimation, but he never saw someone getting tortured, he only saw something getting tortured. He only stepped in to help Kata when he found out he was not a project.
"I promised myself that I would take the time to notice simple beauty every day."
Richard L. Haight
Zoe Luh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zoe-luh.html
Latest Review: Moon Magic by Charli Elizabeth

Post by Zoe Luh »

rjohnston815 wrote: 23 May 2020, 23:01 I thought the initial action of deciding that Taylor could just be changed into a Project was the ultimate evil... the unfortunate reality is that the belief that Projects weren't "real" people led to the other stuff... the decision to make Taylor "not real" was the real injustice...
yeah I agree, that was one of the most terrifying parts!
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

The utter dehumanization of the clones and the horrific experiments performed on them are reminiscent of the actual experiments performed on prisoners by the Nazis. Some people get a sadistic thrill out of harming others, and then there are those who truly believe that they are superior to other human beings.
During an interview, the late Oskar Groening, who was an administrative assistant at Auschwitz, said that the soldiers were trained to believe that the Jews were quite literally lesser beings. He felt that without this idea being implanted, the Final Solution would have been impossible.
The story draws a lot of parallels to the dehumanizing treatment of the prisoners in places such as Auschwitz. I feel that the darkest aspect of the story is the fact that it is possible that the majority of people would be capable of committing acts of egregious cruelty on their fellows if they truly believed that another person was inferior to them on some level.
naomisorge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomisorge.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by naomisorge »

leximutia wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 18:52 Warning, as this is a sensitive topic, but I was personally absolutely horrified at the fact that Dennison assaulted Tau -- a literal child. This is not pertaining to the pain acclimation sessions, something else. Finding this out later, when Kata explicitly mentions it was extremely upsetting and only solidified my severe dislike of Dennison.
I agree with you. For me, this was the most horrifying aspect of the way the Projects were treated by Dennison.

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”