The Ugly /dark side of humans.

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
Amystl26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amystl26.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Re: The Ugly /dark side of humans.

Post by Amystl26 »

B Creech wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 17:53 I found the cutting off of the tips of Kalin's fingers and toes to give him claws was another ugly dark act. It was inhumane. When he agreed to have experimental testing done he certainly did not expect anything like that to be done to him. And without his knowledge as well!
Ohhh this makes me cringe just reading it! Completely inhumane. This sounds like one of those intensely interesting books what you want to read so badly but have a hard time getting through. Human torture, not my thing.
Usma Khann
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-usma-khann.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Usma Khann »

We, humans, view minorities and the vulnerable as less than human. Deep down we are wired to be bad, blinkered, idle, vain, vengeful and selfish and this books perfectly displays it through the cruelty on these clones.🌸
Readers know it. Authors know it. Publishers know it. A promising review sells books! :roll:
Marion Jepkosgei
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marion-jepkosgei.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Marion Jepkosgei »

AmyMarie2171 wrote: 20 May 2020, 17:57 As full of horrific acts and torture as this book is, it is worth remembering that things like this happen literally every day in the real world. Though the book is fictional, much of the terror is absolutely real.
True, though most people here think it was overboard. Inhumanity is rising and that was just a dose. Change needs to start from us.
MissJill
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17

Post by MissJill »

I think the mental strain and torture was the worst. To b treated so terribly over something you couldn't control-- to be experimented on and denied your humanity despite clearly showing signs of it.
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by yapashley »

I like how the book explored this side of humanity. Some argue that our dark side is our repressed side. Because it is not acceptable to society, we hide our innate selves which is of being evil.
yapashley
Currently Reading: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yapashley.html
Latest Review: Oblivion Threshold by J.R. Mabry and B.J. West

Post by yapashley »

Our ugly/dark side only appears because of the situations in life that inevitably lead to it. Sometimes we are put into situations that only gives us choices that we repulse but ultimately have to make. Thus, we create the side that we hide in the darkness.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

I really want to read the book. But I don't know if I could digest dehumanizing behaviors. I will try to summon the strength the read the book.
gelli_baranda
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gelli-baranda.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by gelli_baranda »

A poor treatment of a special creation such as clones is a big NO. This really turns me off. Even they are clones, they also deserve the proper care the same way humans are taking care of themselves!
Happy reading,
Gelli xoxo
S Chifunda
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-s-chifunda.html
Latest Review: The Margin of Error by Beverly Grasley

Post by S Chifunda »

Interestingly, the attempt to "de-humanize" intrinsically suggest that the perpetrators are aware of the ugliness of their intentions and methods. I think what they did to Kalin was beyond horrific.
Sarah_Tricia
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Gideon the Ninth
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tricia.html
Latest Review: Hero by Danielle Bouthillier
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Sarah_Tricia »

What's really disturbing is how these people didn't need a reason to hurt Kalin and Tau, seems like the antagonists just wanted a reason to hurt people whether or not their victim was a clone. Saying they were clones was treated like an excuse for causing so much pain solely because they got off on it.
InventorT
Currently Reading: One Way or Another
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inventort.html
Latest Review: Better Dead Than Divorced by Lukas Thanasis Konandreas, M.D.

Post by InventorT »

My darkest part of the book was the tortures kalin went through as a whole. The fact that someone could actually think of such things to do to another human is devastating
morijin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morijin.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by morijin »

I found that the worst part for me was when they tortured Kalin and cut off his fingers to give him claws. They were aware that he was human , unlike the others who were sheltered by the belief that he wasn't human. They knew and they went ahead with it.
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Billy Summers
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tamorie-hargro.html
Latest Review: Teardrops by Helen Burger
Reading Device: B083JVJQH4

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

gelli_baranda wrote: 01 Jul 2020, 18:56 A poor treatment of a special creation such as clones is a big NO. This really turns me off. Even they are clones, they also deserve the proper care the same way humans are taking care of themselves!
I absolutely agree with you. Clones are supposed to be treated the exact same way as humans rather than given undeserved treatment. I think this is unfair and obviously warrants rebellion. Furthermore, if humans can treat clones, which look exactly like humans, unfairly then they can certainly treat a human being just as horribly.
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

Sarpande wrote: 02 Jul 2020, 22:58 What's really disturbing is how these people didn't need a reason to hurt Kalin and Tau, seems like the antagonists just wanted a reason to hurt people whether or not their victim was a clone. Saying they were clones was treated like an excuse for causing so much pain solely because they got off on it.
This is my point exactly. Treating clones like unfeeling objects is a danger to real humans who look exactly like clones themselves. So people who are up to torturing clones have no problem torturing human beings. It's a very disconcerting idea.
J.K. Rowling - Albus Dumbledore, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban wrote:Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light. 🔥
Tamorie Hargro
In It Together VIP

Post by Tamorie Hargro »

I think this book tests the limits of human morality, or at least our perception of being. Can humans look past any manner of treatment done unto others as long as they're of another species? If they're not human, are their lives and feelings expendable? The mass's reactions to the torture in this book is pretty disturbing.

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”