The Ugly /dark side of humans.

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

The Ugly /dark side of humans.

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

In this book we saw that clones were not afforded human rights and that many characters accepted their abuse and demeaning life. For me, the most ugly side of this was the torture performed on the two projects in the name of Pain Acclimation.
What was the ugliest or darkest act you experienced in this book?
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I found the cutting off of the tips of Kalin's fingers and toes to give him claws was another ugly dark act. It was inhumane. When he agreed to have experimental testing done he certainly did not expect anything like that to be done to him. And without his knowledge as well!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Drakka Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drakka-reader.html
Latest Review: Eternal Bones by Jon State

Post by Drakka Reader »

Probably the way they are treated like slaves. Even if they are not human and created for such purposes, you would think we wouldn t tolerate doing that to something that could think and feel, even if you degraded it like an animal.
Tavaiel26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tavaiel26 »

I was thoroughly creeped out by Mason and Dennison to dehumanize Kalin. Everyone else was sheltered by the societal perception of Projects as intrinsically different to humans...But they KNEW he was human.
Elmaestro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elmaestro.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by Elmaestro »

The ugliest part for me was when Dennison was tortured by Project Kata to give in to Kata's demands yet he was a clone created by them... This was a bit impractical!
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

Warning, as this is a sensitive topic, but I was personally absolutely horrified at the fact that Dennison assaulted Tau -- a literal child. This is not pertaining to the pain acclimation sessions, something else. Finding this out later, when Kata explicitly mentions it was extremely upsetting and only solidified my severe dislike of Dennison.
Ari Martinez
Currently Reading: Victoria's Choice
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ari-martinez.html
Latest Review: Finding A Way Forward by Karen Games

Post by Ari Martinez »

The ugliest thing is not necessarily the acts themselves, but the mindset of the people performing them. Sadly, the human mind can be such an ugly thing, and it's something that we've seen throughout our own history. One of the things that grossed me out was what they did to Kalin to dehumanize him.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

Arimart99 wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 19:39 The ugliest thing is not necessarily the acts themselves, but the mindset of the people performing them. Sadly, the human mind can be such an ugly thing, and it's something that we've seen throughout our own history. One of the things that grossed me out was what they did to Kalin to dehumanize him.
This is a really good point. It is disturbing to think about the ugliness of people who can commit atrocious acts upon others. The torturous acts performed in the book are cruel and dehumanizing. Mason and Dennison trying to dehumanize Kaling was pretty ugly and disturbing.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

Mason's idea to punish Kalin for breaching through the facility by mutating him was extremely creepy and inhuman. Mason and Dennison created a clone of Kalin killed it and made his parents believe that he was dead. This was a real cold-blooded murder.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

Julie Petitbon wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 09:20
Arimart99 wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 19:39 The ugliest thing is not necessarily the acts themselves, but the mindset of the people performing them. Sadly, the human mind can be such an ugly thing, and it's something that we've seen throughout our own history. One of the things that grossed me out was what they did to Kalin to dehumanize him.
This is a really good point. It is disturbing to think about the ugliness of people who can commit atrocious acts upon others. The torturous acts performed in the book are cruel and dehumanizing. Mason and Dennison trying to dehumanize Kaling was pretty ugly and disturbing.
I totally agree with you both! To think about the ugliness of the mindset of the people is really disturbing and saddening.
The cruel and dehumanizing acts all birthed from the minds of people!
Mason and Dennison were something else...
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

The ugliest aspect to me was the deception from Mason and Dennison from the start. The audacity to abduct and alter a college student was sick.
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

I thought that the ugliest part for me was that everyone knew how badly the Projects were being treated and no one really did anything to stop it except for Renfield. And even then it was only for Kata. They just let it continue. No one really stood up in any meaningful manner for the Projects. Even Chatton just talked mostly.

Everyone implicitly let the system of torture and degradation continue. And with irony, a system that Kalin was going to join before he got caught.
raindropreader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by raindropreader »

Honestly? The very beginning of the book set the tone for the atrocious acts that would be done throughout the book. We saw a mans life and identity be taken from him so soon and saw all the lies that were set into motion to make this happen. Even before we saw Kata being taken and his life and identity stripped away we saw Project Tau and how he was controlled and called an it and not considered human. We saw the cruelty that humans can exhibit in the name of scientist research.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

Despite the other threads, I personally was shocked at the lack of humanity shown to the clones. It reminded me of the way in which African slaves were treated when they were brought to the Americas to work on the plantations. It showed me how humans have an ugly or dark side that can come out if given the right conditions. This book also serves as somewhat of a cautionary tale about the dangers of the overuse or over dependence on technology.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

It seems that dehumanizing someone makes it easier to justify outrages. I agree with your comments about the mindset of the antagonists.

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”