The Dangers of a Dare!

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
jhunt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhunt.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Re: The Dangers of a Dare!

Post by jhunt »

Unfortunately, I do believe that the dare contributed to his death. He thought accomplishing this dare would allow him to fit in to this fraternity, however, it led to something much more sinister.
Arwa_here
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arwa-here.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Arwa_here »

Kalin's life was in his own hands. I don't believe anyone in the fraternity or any scientist contributed more to his death than he himself.
There are many points in life when there is pressure to do something. There is a reason "Peer pressure" is a common word nowadays.
At some point, Kalin did it because he wanted to. He agreed, and then he sowed what he agreed to.
mairu
Currently Reading: Geek Girl : Model Misfit
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mairu.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by mairu »

I don't think he was bold to fully willingly participate but was over trusting that the end result would be fine and life as he knew it would remain the same which much to his dismay could not be further from the truth
Adanna Inya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adanna-inya.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe v morrow

Post by Adanna Inya »

Yes, I think that the dare ended Kalin's life. However, he could have totally avoided it if he wasn't so keen on belonging to a frat.
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

I do believe that the dare was somewhat responsible for the loss of Kalin's life. But there were also some other factors at play here. The most important lesson to draw would definitely be that one should be really careful when trying to fit in.
Sarah_Tricia
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: Gideon the Ninth
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-tricia.html
Latest Review: Hero by Danielle Bouthillier
fav_author_id: 2376

Post by Sarah_Tricia »

Honestly, if a dangerous dare that has you break into a top-secret lab run by a vague yet menacing company that possesses no value for life is a requirement to get into a frat, find another group to join.
InventorT
Currently Reading: One Way or Another
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inventort.html
Latest Review: Better Dead Than Divorced by Lukas Thanasis Konandreas, M.D.

Post by InventorT »

Unfortunately I think the dare ended kalin’s life when he accepted it it to prove himself. In life we should learn to be ourselves and try not to succumb to peer pressure
angela roura
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angela-roura.html
Latest Review: The Tempter's Bane by Kyle McCurry

Post by angela roura »

I have always been warned by my parents growing up, not to take place in dares. I remember at sleepovers hiding during the games of truth or dare. Peer pressure is a strong force, and one that is often used for evil. The situation in the book should be used as a cautionary tale not to give into peer pressure, not matter what you think you may gain.
shynmr
Currently Reading: Zona: The Forbidden Land
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shynmr.html
Latest Review: My Father Wakes Up Laughing by Jo Simons

Post by shynmr »

I'm not sure it's fair to say the dare ended Kalin's life. After all, he decided to go through with it. I think the cautionary tale is that if you misuse your personal agency (e.g., act against your own best instincts to impress someone else) then there will be consequences, and you just might lose your identity.
Lia A
Favorite Book: Aurora Rising
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lia-a.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Lia A »

I think that his life was ended (not by death but by what he had to endure). However, he chose to do it. He fell to peer-pressure and suffered greatly for it. I think that the cautionary tale is to not give in to peer-pressure or there will be repercussions that could range from minor to life-threatening.
“𝓞𝓷𝓮 𝓶𝓾𝓼𝓽 𝓪𝓵𝔀𝓪𝔂𝓼 𝓫𝓮 𝓬𝓪𝓻𝓮𝓯𝓾𝓵 𝓸𝓯 𝓫𝓸𝓸𝓴𝓼, 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝔀𝓱𝓪𝓽 𝓲𝓼 𝓲𝓷𝓼𝓲𝓭𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓮𝓶, 𝓯𝓸𝓻 𝔀𝓸𝓻𝓭𝓼 𝓱𝓪𝓿𝓮 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓹𝓸𝔀𝓮𝓻 𝓽𝓸 𝓬𝓱𝓪𝓷𝓰𝓮 𝓾𝓼.”
― 𝓒𝓪𝓼𝓼𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓻𝓪 𝓒𝓵𝓪𝓻𝓮, (𝓒𝓵𝓸𝓬𝓴𝔀𝓸𝓻𝓴 𝓐𝓷𝓰𝓮𝓵)
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Tavaiel26 wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 11:37 I would still blame Mason, and not the dare, cause honestly, he could have just sent the kid to jail. But I do find university hazing super creepy. I really don't get Fraternities and the whole shebang.
I agree with you. Mason was just sick in tricking the poor kid.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

I think everyone has a share in this, no one is completely innocent. GenTech forced him into joining the experience, the Fraternities suggested it to him, but hey, it's Kata who wanted to be one of the 'in' kids at college and took the dare. Though, this has happened several times in the horror movies and stories: youngsters accepting dares believing that they can do something the others can't, or just too curious to explore fishy places. So the advice is 'you may be young and capable, but don't bite off more than you can chew'
Banette
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-banette.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Banette »

Without question it was accepting the dare that led Kalin down that path, and I think that there is a message of resisting peer pressure, but it's such a small part of the book that I don't think it should be considered a cautionary tale of the dangers of dares.
Laura Mich
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-mich.html
Latest Review: A Woman's Rise To Courage by Birgit T Klare

Post by Laura Mich »

The dare sadly brought Kalin's life to an end in his quest for acceptance and embrace in the society. In pursuance of revenge, he committed an irrevocable action by wiping away all the people who had affronted him. Was it justifiable? Yes.
Laura Mich
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-mich.html
Latest Review: A Woman's Rise To Courage by Birgit T Klare

Post by Laura Mich »

Ediomis_Enwongo01 wrote: 22 Apr 2020, 10:27 Daring is part of the human existence. It may end up in stardom or paying the supreme price. Kalin's dare ended in death. For anyone out there wishing to dare anything, the advice is, 'look before you leap'
Great advice. However, don't you think it was the provocation that led to Kalin's death?

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”