The Dangers of a Dare!

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

The Dangers of a Dare!

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

For Kalin Taylor, hos entire life was derailed (probably ended) after he was caught in GenTech and forced into the life of Project Kata. He experienced inhumanity from the scientists and lost the rights of his own body, all because he accepted a dangerous dare.
Do you agree that Kalin Taylor's life was ended due to the dare?
What cautonary tale can you draw from the story due to this dare?
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Yes, I do believe Kalin's life was ended due to the dare. He wanted to be a part of the fraternity so badly he was willing to do just about anything to get accepted. He thought it would make him a big man on campus. We should be careful what we wish for because things don't always turn out as we planned. In Kalin's instance they surely didn't!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 673
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I don't think he dared to participate in the experiment, he was indirectly forced into it. He was made to think that things would turnout well so that he can be released and go back to his normal life. Unfortunately, the scientists egoistic attitude ended his life.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Tavaiel26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tavaiel26 »

I would still blame Mason, and not the dare, cause honestly, he could have just sent the kid to jail. But I do find university hazing super creepy. I really don't get Fraternities and the whole shebang.
Elmaestro
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elmaestro.html
Latest Review: Let’s Mountain Bike! by Paul Molenberg

Post by Elmaestro »

In a way, the dare ended Kalin's life the moment he accepted the fraternities suggestion.. He knew it would be dangerous but he still went ahead to try because he didn't want to fill intimidated.. I would say that one should always think twice no matter how the gold glitters!
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

Life as Kalin Taylor knew it definitely did end because of the dare. Although the epic character that is Project Kata emerged as a result of it, the lesson to be learned here is that putting yourself at risk in order to satisfy other's maligned wants is certainly not worth it.
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

The dare, unfortunately ended Kalin's life and lead him through irrevocable pain. Trying to be something he was not got the better of him. Youngsters should be aware of the repercussions of accepting such dares.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

Yes! I believe Kalin's life was ended due to the dare. Unfortunately, it wasn't what he anticipated.
Youngsters indeed, should be careful what they wish for. Not all that glitters are gold!
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

Without the dare he would of never gone to the space station. Therefore all of this would of not come to pass.
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Apr 2020, 01:29 For Kalin Taylor, hos entire life was derailed (probably ended) after he was caught in GenTech and forced into the life of Project Kata. He experienced inhumanity from the scientists and lost the rights of his own body, all because he accepted a dangerous dare.
Do you agree that Kalin Taylor's life was ended due to the dare?
What cautonary tale can you draw from the story due to this dare?
Yes, I agree that his life ended because of that dare. If he hasn’t accepted the dare, he wouldn’t have gone to GenTech and he would not have become Project Kata. It’s amazing how one decision can change your life forever.
raindropreader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by raindropreader »

I’m very interested and intrigued by social psychology. I believe we all greatly underestimate the power of needing to be seen as part of a group and socially accepted. There’s been experiments done that show how we humans treat those who do not comply to social norms, otherwise known as deviants. How Kata acted was all too familiar to how the majority of us act. We just want to be accepted. I do have to agree that his life ended because of the actions he took in an attempt to comply to social norms and be accepted by his peers.
Barbara6886
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-barbara6886.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Barbara6886 »

Peer pressure and the desire to fit in are strong driving forces for many people. Kalin’s need for acceptance does lead to his downfall and imprisonment by GenTech. Maybe if he had been given that acceptance in his early life he would have not fallen for the initiation stunt given to him.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

raindropreader wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 16:52 I’m very interested and intrigued by social psychology. I believe we all greatly underestimate the power of needing to be seen as part of a group and socially accepted. There’s been experiments done that show how we humans treat those who do not comply to social norms, otherwise known as deviants. How Kata acted was all too familiar to how the majority of us act. We just want to be accepted. I do have to agree that his life ended because of the actions he took in an attempt to comply to social norms and be accepted by his peers.
Perhaps in this future world of clones, a new brand of social psychology will develop. The clones might look human, and be encouraged to act human, but the study of their needs to be social would make a whole new science.
raindropreader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by raindropreader »

Barbara6886 wrote: 17 Apr 2020, 11:31 Peer pressure and the desire to fit in are strong driving forces for many people. Kalin’s need for acceptance does lead to his downfall and imprisonment by GenTech. Maybe if he had been given that acceptance in his early life he would have not fallen for the initiation stunt given to him.
Absolutely. I think that if he had found a group of like minded individuals that were all not socially accepted to the larger majority but all accepted in their own small social group it would’ve lessened his need to follow the initiation.
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

Daring is part of the human existence. It may end up in stardom or paying the supreme price. Kalin's dare ended in death. For anyone out there wishing to dare anything, the advice is, 'look before you leap'

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”