The Dangers of a Dare!

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Re: The Dangers of a Dare!

Post by Splendour0606 »

I would say the dare ended his life.This teaches us to be calculative and reasonable while making any decision,no matter the situation that surrounded it.
Nujudee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nujudee.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Nujudee »

I feel the dare was an important aspect of the novel, because it birthed and unfolded into more suspense-filled scenes.
To me, i don't think it had any danger.
Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

For me, it's a truism to say that the dare ended his life. If he hadn’t accepted the dare, probably due to peer pressure, he wouldn’t have gone to GenTech and he would not have become Project Kata.

Isn't it wonderful how our decisions can either make or mar us? Lessons learnt.
Nath_chuks
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nath-chuks.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Nath_chuks »

I think if he had reasoned the outcome of his dare, he wouldn't have ended up dead. This teaches us a good lesson.
Marlaszw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marlaszw.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Marlaszw »

I think the daring was just a vehicle. What really got Kalin into trouble was caring what everyone else thought about him instead of just focusing on being a good person. He is a very smart guy, who did a really foolish thing, just because he wanted some idiots to think he was cool. He should have known the dare would get him into trouble. But he could not have expected the amount of trouble. But of course, what happened to him after that was not his fault. He was trapped. He became trapped because of his desperation to be cool. He was already a tortured soul before he stepped into GenTech. That is one of the interesting parts of his character development for me. In the end, will he ever be able to escape torture? Just because he escaped GenTech it does not mean he has overcome his own demons.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Yes, his life as Kalin Taylor definitely ended because he followed through on the dare.
It shows that you shouldn't do something just because you were dared to.
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Post by Paige Alvarado »

I feel that Kalin meeting Tau was somehow good for him as a person. The experience really built his character and probably made him realize what is really important in life. In the end he didn't care that he wasn't going to be in the fraternity, he just wanted to be free. I think he will appreciate the little things from now on.
Arite Seki
Currently Reading: The Alchemist
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arite-seki.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Arite Seki »

raindropreader wrote: 14 Apr 2020, 16:52 I’m very interested and intrigued by social psychology. I believe we all greatly underestimate the power of needing to be seen as part of a group and socially accepted. There’s been experiments done that show how we humans treat those who do not comply to social norms, otherwise known as deviants. How Kata acted was all too familiar to how the majority of us act. We just want to be accepted. I do have to agree that his life ended because of the actions he took in an attempt to comply to social norms and be accepted by his peers.
I agree with you. There's definitely an aspect in most of us that does things simply to be accepted by a particular group or person even when those things are rationally to our detriment.
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

This might be a great story to give students in Grade 11/12 who might already be facing pressure but could also be looking at fraternities/sororities in the coming years. While I'm sure their experience with hazing and dares would not turn out like Kalin, it would be an excellent cautionary tale. It would be a great way to approach discussing this book with young adults!
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
Amanda Nicole Newton
Currently Reading: East Wind, 2nd Edition
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-nicole-newton.html
Latest Review: Shadow's Adventure Home by Kathy Kovar

Post by Amanda Nicole Newton »

I think that a lot of times you will see friends, especially college age friends, daring each other to do something so dangerous. But it is always on the person being dared to reject or refuse. You can always turn down a dare if it's something too dangerous or that you don't want to do.
Mad Hatter: "Have I gone mad?"
Alice: "I'm afraid so. You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are.”
blessing_bona
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-bona.html
Latest Review: Oh Daddy Chronicles by Barry Robbins

Post by blessing_bona »

Nerea wrote: 02 Apr 2020, 02:55 I don't think he dared to participate in the experiment, he was indirectly forced into it. He was made to think that things would turnout well so that he can be released and go back to his normal life. Unfortunately, the scientists egoistic attitude ended his life.
Don't you think that he was provided with enough facts about what he'd go through? Was he not being mind gullible when he agreed to joined?
blessing_bona
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blessing-bona.html
Latest Review: Oh Daddy Chronicles by Barry Robbins

Post by blessing_bona »

Rwill0988 wrote: 21 May 2020, 19:29 This might be a great story to give students in Grade 11/12 who might already be facing pressure but could also be looking at fraternities/sororities in the coming years. While I'm sure their experience with hazing and dares would not turn out like Kalin, it would be an excellent cautionary tale. It would be a great way to approach discussing this book with young adults!
Let's hope they heed the warning stories. Sometimes, young people are about seeing things for themselves which doesn't always go well
ErikaP13
Favorite Author: Terry Brooks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erikap13.html
Latest Review: The Eye of Illumination by W.C. Gorski
fav_author_id: 5000

Post by ErikaP13 »

That dare was surely the catalyst to everything. It makes me wonder what other things the author could have chosen to use in place of a dare or Kalin's desire to be part of the fraternity.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

This is why I never get involved in dares; there's no telling what the potential outcome could be. If Kalin Taylor had been emotionally independent, he would have thought it through before engaging in the act.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
kljrox
Favorite Book: The Pentagon Years
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kljrox.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by kljrox »

Yes I agree that in taking the dare Kalin effectively ended his life. He wanted to be included in the ”popular” crowd so bad that he went against his better judgment. Wanting to belong and be accepted can be a powerful motivator to do something you know is wrong. It takes more courage to decline than it does to accept a dare.
"I promised myself that I would take the time to notice simple beauty every day."
Richard L. Haight

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”