Dennison and Sadism

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
raindropreader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Dennison and Sadism

Post by raindropreader »

funninessishappiness wrote: 12 Apr 2020, 21:43
DEEPA PUJARI wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 15:15 I think both Dennison and Mason were sadistic and the main antagonist in the story.
I agree with you on Dennison, but how is Mason a sadist? I don't see him as a sadist, I see him as more of a narcissistic idiot. It is true that he never stopped what was happening to the projects, but a lot of other people that worked at GenTech didn't either. I wouldn't classify them as sadists, just people that don't stand up to others. While Mason did have the power to control Dennison, he didn't. He let it happen. However, I am not so sure he knew about everything going on either. I don't think he knew about Dennison sexually assaulting the Project. Mason did state that he didn't want the projects to be put under any unnecessary pain. Even so, many times throughout the book it was stated that what pain was necessary and unnecessary was controlled by GenTech. I don't know if I would consider him a sadist. He is definitely an awful person. He tricked Kalin and made him sign his life away. From what I understood though, the main reason he seemed to do that was for money. Sadists usually do things from the pleasure they get from hurting others, but Mason seems to get more pleasure from himself and money than hurting others.
Had to second that last sentence you wrote. I also want to add in that he motivates by power and success as well as money.
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

Based on Dannison's character,he is the main antagonist in the story.Truely a sadist.
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

I think Dennison fit well into both the main and the most dangerous antagonist. Above all sadistic.
Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

Well, I'd like to opine that it goes both ways for me. Dennison absolutely was the main antagonist and the definitely the most dangerous one. And of course he was quite sadistic as well!
Marlaszw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marlaszw.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Marlaszw »

Of course Dennison doesn't think he is an abuser. That is what makes him so dangerous. He believes everything he does is for the good of the Project's, to make them better. I also wondered at points if he was so delusional that he had convinced himself that Project Kata was a project, even though he clearly knew better. He was the guy who everyone hated, even all the other antagonists hated him. We are talking about a conspiracy to keep this guys temper under control throughout the company. Obviously he is a really bad dude. But Mason doesn't care what Dennison does to Project Tau or Kalin, so he is just as evil. But I think you could peg Dennison as the main antagonist since Mason isn't in the story much. Dennison was the embodiment of what GenTech was willing to do to people in order to make more money.
freshbook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-freshbook.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by freshbook »

I agree that Dennison was the main antagonist. However, I think Mason might have been the most dangerous because he was letting Dennison get away with the pain acclimation sessions. Also, Mason made the call to capture Kalin in the first place.
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

There are some interesting points made here. I agree that those who stand by not doing anything share in the blame. So, yes, I think that would make them protagonists.
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
Shelyce
Currently Reading: Childhood's End
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelyce.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Shelyce »

Tavaiel26 wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 11:41 Agree with B Creech on Dennison, but as the quote says “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” everyone who stood by and did nothing, and the system (and company) that allowed Dennison to thrive, were also responsible.
My thoughts exactly! I also think Mason was a sadistic and equally dangerous antagonist, the only difference between them being Mason's pursuit of money.
Dreamer80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamer80.html
Latest Review: How Trends Make You A Smarter Investor by Gabrielle Dahms

Post by Dreamer80 »

I think it goes without saying that he was truly sadistic! And if I am going to be honest, I LOVE strong and horrible antagonists. They tighten the rope of the plot, and undoubtedly Dennison was one of them.
gracedivine
Currently Reading: Project Tau
Bookshelf Size: 27

Post by gracedivine »

Dennison is the definition of danger. After him, I would place Mason next. He enjoys and is pleased to put others in pain. That is so really scary.
Dannyphery
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dannyphery.html

Post by Dannyphery »

I think Dennison was the main antagonist in the book. I have to add that he was the most dangerous as well.
[Bree4521]
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bree4521.html
Latest Review: Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

Post by [Bree4521] »

leximutia wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 18:25 I would call him one of the most present antagonists in the book for sure, even Mason is technically the head of the facility. I grew to really despise Dennison, not just for his sadistic tendencies and his torture of Tau and Kata, but also for the role he played in the death of Reinfield and for the horrible sexual assault towards Tau. When that came to light in the story, I was absolutely furious. Afterall, Tau is essentially a child, at least in terms of mental maturity.
I agree with you. Of the two, Dennison is the greater evil when compared to Mason. Dennison actually enjoys and gets pleasure from hurting the projects. Although, I often wondered during the book if the sexual assault bits were necessary for the telling of abuse, mistreatment, and torture. Yes, it makes us hate Dennison all the more but what does it do for the story as a whole?
Fem187
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fem187.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Fem187 »

Dennison is the true antagonist in this project and the most deadly one at it. It seems to me he found personal gratification in hurting people.
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html

Post by a_r_egerton »

I see Dennison as the "heavy" or most active and aggressive antagonist. He is cruel, and he is either unaware of his own cruelty or lies to himself about it. The prologue did make him seem reasonably sympathetic -- which is probably how he views himself. He believes that he is simply doing a difficult and necessary job.

I agree that Kata is the most dangerous person in the story, thanks to his intellect and physical capabilities. His background will help the Projects navigate human society in the sequel. Fortunately, Kata does have morals. He would be a real menace otherwise.
Kemmy11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemmy11.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Kemmy11 »

Dennison is the cruelest antagonist in the book who seems to derive pleasure in hurting people.

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”