Romantic tragedy or Karma?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Romantic tragedy or Karma?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

In the story we learn that Amy Saunders is pregnant with Andrew Renfield's child. She had yet to tell him this before he met his death under Project Epsilon's hands.
Do you think that Renfield's death before learning about his child was a case of romantic tragedy from Amy procrastinating or a case of Karma from the inhumane acts they allowed and followed in GenTech?
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I think it was a case of romantic tragedy from Amy's procrastination. I thought it was sad he never knew. I think of all the scientists Reinfeld was basically a decent guy. I just think he felt trapped in his job and felt he couldn't leave without repercussions since he knew everything that was going on!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Drakka Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-drakka-reader.html
Latest Review: Eternal Bones by Jon State

Post by Drakka Reader »

Perhaps both! The scientists all seemed like decent enough people, however, by their allowance for inhumane acts to continue, they still brought their own fates upon themselves.
Tavaiel26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tavaiel26 »

I think it was tragic in a way, but not unexpected. I hope we will learn further in the series what happens with Amy and her baby!
leximutia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leximutia.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by leximutia »

A tragedy for sure. Despite the inhumane acts he performed for GenTech, Reinfield was genuinely a decent person, and the effort he took in digging up Kalin Taylor's story and his attempt to help both Kata and Tau to escape were both evidence of that. If anything, both Amy Saunders and Andrew Reinfield deserved redemption and a chance to make things right, by turning against GenTech.
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

I think it's both! but my thoughts tilt more to it being a Romantic tragedy. For the mere fact that Andrew Reinfield was a decent person and as such, deserved redemption.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

She was four months pregnant with his child... she should have told him. He had a right to know. Of course, she had anxiety about how he would take it. Would he be happy or angry? She had no way of knowing. Regardless of his reaction, if he is indeed the father of the child, his reaction should not take prominence over his right to know. No matter how he reacts, he should know. Apart from all of the GenTech drama, of course.

I also find it sad that they kept flirting in a casual way after their intimate encounter that night... He continued to try and pursue her, yet she batted her eyelashes waved it off every time. She was always on one side of her desk and he on the other, for months. I am not sure exactly what I would do in her situation, no one is perfect, but it just makes me sad...

What if she told him and he decided not to continue the investigation behind GenTech's back, would he have lived? Depending on when she told him, would he stop midway for the sake of the child, or pursue justice and keep on? I think they would have made a wonderful power couple, and with both of their brains working together perhaps they could bring GenTech down. I know we'll probably never know, but it's worth thinking over.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
DEEPA PUJARI
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deepa-pujari.html
Latest Review: Seemore the Seagull by Ralph Tufo
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by DEEPA PUJARI »

I think it was tragic for both Renfield n Amy. I really liked Renfield and he was my favorite character in the book.
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Loneliness in the Pocket by Graeme Stuckings

Post by Frannie Annie »

I would say tragedy. Renfield tried to do the right thing and fought back against the mentality of the lab.
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

I fail to see how it could be karma...it is a bit sad that he never knew he would be a dad, that she didn't get to share this news, but clearly she wasn't looking for a full partnership or she would have told him. I'm unclear how long she knew before he died, but I would guess only a month, since she read his emails two months after his death, and she was four months pregnant then.
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

I think it was a little of both.

I think it was karmic because he was only looking to save Kata and not Tau and in some way, that was still wrong. Tau would still be subjected to Dennison’s treatment and then slavery from an owner from the failure to get him out of there.

I also think it’s a tragic love story because Amy’s beliefs got in the way of her expanding the relationship between herself and Renfield. Now, she will never have the chance to see where it goes with herself and her baby.
raindropreader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by raindropreader »

I may be alone in thinking this way but I think it was more an act of karma. I think that because he was a part of a terrible corporation that stripped away human life and identity he also had something precious to him taken away.
Splendour0606
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-splendour0606.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Splendour0606 »

I think it is a romantic tragedy,because what he did for Gentech didn't strip him of all his good.He deserved to know he would be a father.
Ediomis_Enwongo01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ediomis-enwongo01.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Ediomis_Enwongo01 »

I want to stay a little in between the two ends. All the same permit me to swing the pendulum a bit to romantic tragedy as there was actually an intimacy between Amy and Renfield.
Kachi_Ejiogu+_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kachi-ejiogu.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kachi_Ejiogu+_ »

For me, I'd say it was a case of romantic tragedy. Andrew Reinfield was quite a nice, principled and decent guy and for that, I felt he deserved to know, at least.

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”