The Ending.

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Re: The Ending.

Post by Jude Austin »

Lia A wrote: โ†‘28 Jul 2020, 04:45 Also for a top-security facility, I find it unreasonable that Kalin could hack into it.
Again, sneaking in to clear this point up, as a few people seem to be a little confused :)

Kalin doesn't hack into the mainframe in the true sense of the word ;) All he does is steal Chatton's login credentials and uses those to set up a new user account for himself with administrator privileges. We know from the text that he's far more IT-savvy than most kids his age, so once he's into the system via Chatton's account, it's perfectly plausible that he could create a new user account for himself.

Kata obeyed. Stepping forward until the dark background of the screen didn't reflect his face, taking care to keep his back to the security camera in the room, he flicked his eyes down, watching not the screen but the scientist's fingers on the keyboard, watching the word they spelled out.Crossing over to the computer, he tapped in Chatton's name and password, then started to explore. The man had administrator privileges. That was even better; now there was far less risk of anyone catching him snooping.
[...]
He accessed the database and set up a completely new account. Name Taylork, password Renfield. There was a certain grim justice to that which he thought the scientist would have appreciated.

Hope that clarifies a little :tiphat:*sneaks back out again*
Lia A
Favorite Book: Aurora Rising
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lia-a.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by Lia A »

JudasFm wrote: โ†‘28 Jul 2020, 05:11 Again, sneaking in to clear this point up, as a few people seem to be a little confused

Kalin doesn't hack into the mainframe in the true sense of the word All he does is steal Chatton's login credentials and uses those to set up a new user account for himself with administrator privileges. We know from the text that he's far more IT-savvy than most kids his age, so once he's into the system via Chatton's account, it's perfectly plausible that he could create a new user account for himself.
Oh! Thank you for clarifying. That makes a lot more sense. :techie-studyingbrown:
โ€œ๐“ž๐“ท๐“ฎ ๐“ถ๐“พ๐“ผ๐“ฝ ๐“ช๐“ต๐”€๐“ช๐”‚๐“ผ ๐“ซ๐“ฎ ๐“ฌ๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฎ๐“ฏ๐“พ๐“ต ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐“ซ๐“ธ๐“ธ๐“ด๐“ผ, ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ญ ๐”€๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ฝ ๐“ฒ๐“ผ ๐“ฒ๐“ท๐“ผ๐“ฒ๐“ญ๐“ฎ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ๐“ถ, ๐“ฏ๐“ธ๐“ป ๐”€๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ญ๐“ผ ๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ฟ๐“ฎ ๐“ฝ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“น๐“ธ๐”€๐“ฎ๐“ป ๐“ฝ๐“ธ ๐“ฌ๐“ฑ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ฎ ๐“พ๐“ผ.โ€
โ€• ๐“’๐“ช๐“ผ๐“ผ๐“ช๐“ท๐“ญ๐“ป๐“ช ๐“’๐“ต๐“ช๐“ป๐“ฎ, (๐“’๐“ต๐“ธ๐“ฌ๐“ด๐”€๐“ธ๐“ป๐“ด ๐“๐“ท๐“ฐ๐“ฎ๐“ต)
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

Lia A wrote: โ†‘28 Jul 2020, 05:14 Oh! Thank you for clarifying. That makes a lot more sense. :techie-studyingbrown:
To be fair, I think the very first draft some 12-13-odd years ago (IIRC) did have Kalin hacking into it in the usual way, along with a few other poor writing decisions that I'm embarrassed to remember now :P (I was a lot younger when I wrote Project Tau!) Kalin's good, but he's not that good :D
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Frances019 wrote: โ†‘14 Apr 2020, 11:50 I think it was poetic justice.
I completely agree with you. If Kata failed their escape and they were exposed to more torture, I think my poor heart won't be able to bear it.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
charlenecraig
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crcraig.html
Latest Review: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra by A Ali Hasan Ali

Post by charlenecraig »

completely justified though I thought Tau would spend more time torturing. But in a way, it showed his maturity in that he brought it to a quick end.
Sou Hi
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 154
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sou-hi.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Sou Hi »

You know, according to the past research, when humans don't have to abide by the laws, they can become very inhuman, including those who are said to be kind. But everything comes with a price. So, you reap what you sow, an eye for an eye.
Laura Mich
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-mich.html
Latest Review: A Woman's Rise To Courage by Birgit T Klare

Post by Laura Mich »

DEEPA PUJARI wrote: โ†‘06 Apr 2020, 15:24 I feel the ending did not provide enough justice to Kalin even though he killed most people involved in inflicting pain to him. Kalin had lost himself forever even though he killed all the culprits.
Agreed. Kalin was intelligent and smart. It was the provocation of the societal norms that led him astray.
Laura Mich

Post by Laura Mich »

Sou Hi wrote: โ†‘08 Aug 2020, 21:16 You know, according to the past research, when humans don't have to abide by the laws, they can become very inhuman, including those who are said to be kind. But everything comes with a price. So, you reap what you sow, an eye for an eye.
Sometimes it's not a question about law, but treatment. How humanely do you treat me? Do I reciprocate that back? What limits are you pushing me and the repercussions thereafter? Kalin is a perfect example.
Laura Mich

Post by Laura Mich »

Kalin murdered all the people who had offended him. The annihilation was gratifying, I have to be honest. In fact, Kalin's pursuit for revenge was what made the book a page-turner. Having accomplished his mission was the most adequate end for me.
Laura Mich

Post by Laura Mich »

raindropreader wrote: โ†‘14 Apr 2020, 17:04 I personally donโ€™t think that there was much sense of justice at all. You canโ€™t equate a broken neck or a slit throat, which is moments of pain before the escape of death to end that pain, to having your humanity and your very being stripped away from you in such a cruel way
Is your comment in light of Kalin's murders? Because I think his motive was justifiable.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I was really a fan of the ending. It would have shown those who ran GenTech what a created human was capable of, if anyone was left. I guess whoever found the remains would have known.

Return to โ€œDiscuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austinโ€