Human vs. ... Other

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 343
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: The Witchdoctor Paradox by Barry Tyrrell
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Human vs. ... Other

Post by Diana Lowery »

So many ethical problems already exist with abortions, in-vitro fertilization, and other related issues, it is hard to imagine how regulating clones could be possible. It is exhausting and terrifying to think of the implications. Since it is possible to harvest a frozen embryo without both parties agreeing to the birth, will it be possible to clone someone against their will as it was done in the book?
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

diana lowery wrote: 17 May 2020, 17:51 So many ethical problems already exist with abortions, in-vitro fertilization, and other related issues, it is hard to imagine how regulating clones could be possible. It is exhausting and terrifying to think of the implications. Since it is possible to harvest a frozen embryo without both parties agreeing to the birth, will it be possible to clone someone against their will as it was done in the book?
I'm quite sure it will be possible to clone someone against their will, or even without their knowledge. All it takes is a sample of their DNA, a hair perhaps, or a fingernail. The ethical issues will indeed be complicated, as is reflected in the book. I don't really find the possibility terrifying; to me, it would be like having a twin, but it is definitely going to be challenging to regulate. Thanks for dropping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
JGretz-7
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: The Formative Five
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgretz-7.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JGretz-7 »

This goes back to the...if it looks like a duck and acts like a duck, then it's a duck. A lab-grown human is still a human, correct? If it can think, feel, reason, etc... then it deserves to be treated as a human with the same basic human rights. Just because he/she was created for the purpose of being a slave, doesn't make them any less human.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I would say they are human, but I find it funny how people are so eager to create something so complex like life only to mistreat it since they can't agree if the life is "real".
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

JGretz-7 wrote: 18 May 2020, 18:16 This goes back to the...if it looks like a duck and acts like a duck, then it's a duck. A lab-grown human is still a human, correct? If it can think, feel, reason, etc... then it deserves to be treated as a human with the same basic human rights. Just because he/she was created for the purpose of being a slave, doesn't make them any less human.
I quite agree. The purpose for which they were made affected the abilities they have, not their fundamental nature. Having the same nature (and DNA) as a human should give them the same rights as the 'human stock' from which they sprang! Thanks for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with us!
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

I get what you are saying but what is made scientifically will definitely remain loyal to the master. So I think Tau and Kau will forever be loyal to their master.
SangeethaNarayan
Currently Reading: The Prophet
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sangeethanarayan.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by SangeethaNarayan »

Anything that lives and breathes should have rights. If I created my own clone, I would consider it my child since it came from me, an extension of me. How could I ever consider my child a slave? And does a clone not have a parent? What about the person who was cloned ...isn't he/she a parent to the clone? This is quite an interesting discussion
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Of course clones deserve to have rights, humans are in charge of their creations.
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Anthony__ wrote: 19 May 2020, 23:12 I get what you are saying but what is made scientifically will definitely remain loyal to the master. So I think Tau and Kau will forever be loyal to their master.
I understand where you're going (although I don't agree), especially with regards to Tau. He was basically brainwashed from the day he was created. That would be difficult for anyone to overcome. But Kau? He was born human and didn't undergo scientific manipulation until young adulthood. I'd say his 'humanity' was pretty well established by then. Having his body modified, against his will I might add, isn't going to overtake his genetics as a human. I appreciate your stopping by and sharing your thoughts with us!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Lady-of-Literature wrote: 19 May 2020, 16:28 I would say they are human, but I find it funny how people are so eager to create something so complex like life only to mistreat it since they can't agree if the life is "real".
Unfortunately, I think that falls under the umbrella of human nature...or at least some individual's nature. They regard anything they 'create' as inherently theirs, whether it is alive or not. Therefore, it's there to do anything they please with. To them, it being 'real'/alive...even sentient, just makes it more interesting to play with/work on. Thanks for dropping by and sharing your thoughts with us!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

sursangeet_2000 wrote: 20 May 2020, 06:18 Anything that lives and breathes should have rights. If I created my own clone, I would consider it my child since it came from me, an extension of me. How could I ever consider my child a slave? And does a clone not have a parent? What about the person who was cloned ...isn't he/she a parent to the clone? This is quite an interesting discussion
I feel much the same. Just like a child I carried for nine months, the clone possesses part of my DNA as well...and would start as a child just like one born naturally. Unfortunately, historically there are many precedents for a parent considering their child a slave. Just think back to 'affairs' that must have happened in Egypt between 'master' and 'slave.' Most likely, those children, except for the rare occasion, were considered slaves. This goes for some of the antebellum plantation owners as well. It's wrong, I know, but it happened all the time. Of course, today, slavery has been outlawed...I would just hope that would hold true for clones as well. Thanks for stopping in and sharing your thoughts with us!
Lisa A Rayburn

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

Ellylion wrote: 20 May 2020, 07:03 Of course clones deserve to have rights, humans are in charge of their creations.
Unfortunately, that's part of the problem here. The scientists want to be in ultimate control of their 'creations.' If the clones were to be declared human, with all the rights, freedoms, and privileges that go along with it, they would have to cede their control to the clone him/herself, and they don't want that to happen. I appreciate you're dropping in to share your thoughts with us!
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

leximutia wrote: 03 Apr 2020, 18:56 Personally, I feel that any creature that displays sentience are, without question, entitled to certain rights. We already know Kata / Kalin is a born human, but Tau should be treated no differently, even though he is a lab-grown clone. Given that he has clearly displayed sentience, original thoughts, and his own desires, he is no less deserving of human rights, regardless of origin.
If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck.....
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

Having no parents and being a product of scientists, they are not human but look like humans and this likeness to humans gives them the rights.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Why in the World Are We Here?
Bookshelf Size: 2400
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

It is a very interesting question to ponder and one that will become more meaningful as AI advances. One can state that they have no parents but, in that case, arent their creators/designers their parents? Of course, if we take a religious approach we have to wonder if they would have a soul and if that's what makes a human, human.

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”