Project Tau

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Re: Project Tau

Post by Brenda Creech »

Caffrey_19 wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 03:29 To me, Project Tau was more of a human than a robot. This is because the early stages of Project Tau can be related to that of an obedient child, who does whatever he or she has been instructed to. At some point, we could see that Project Tau, just like humans, started growing into a teenager with curiosity the moment Kalin began to question his every reasoning. The fact that he gave in to peer pressure, and saw the need to embark on the quest for freedom is an ultimate move to the conclusion that Project Tau is human.
I didn't think of him as a robot, he just made me think of some of the new robots that have been made! You're absolutely right about giving in to the peer pressure. I imagine he will advance even more in the next book. :D
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Nzube Chizoba Okeke
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nzube-chizoba-okeke.html
Latest Review: Chrome Mountain by Ben Schneider

Post by Nzube Chizoba Okeke »

I don't think he should be thought of as a robot but a clone that he is. I believe Robots are programmed and not exactly subject to change. They run on an already existing programme. Project Tau possessed feelings and his entire character only portrayed him as an obedient being who eventually got an eye opener bringing about a change.
Realsy
Favorite Book: The Host
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-realsy.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Realsy »

I knew he was a clone so I thought of him as one. He was a full grown man that was grown in a vat. Tau had a brain that was not used enough yet. He was only a few months old and had limited interaction, memories, experience, etc. Once Kalin/Kata entered on the scene, Tau had access to knew ideas, opinions, etc. Tau was not being as abused as Kata because he was conditioned to listen so the handlers had no reason to hurt him until after Kata started making him question everything. Kata made Tau's life both better and worse.
zhenya_reads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zhenya-reads.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by zhenya_reads »

I also felt like Tau was programmed and didn't know anything else. I wanted to cry when it was revealed that Tau was actually raped and from his reaction it was obvious that he had feelings and that those feelings got heavily violated.

I was also wondering how this would work if Kata never came to the facility and Tau would be sent out to work - would he eventually realize that he's been enslaved or would the programming last?
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

This goes back to mental development being more a physiological process (you will mature no matter what) and environmental process (you will mature as we demonstrate to you). It seemed completely believable that Tau had only matured as far as they let him until he was shown more worldly views. He did seem to learn quickly, which may have been less believable, but I was able to set that aside.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Zee_Zee wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 05:33 I don't think he should be thought of as a robot but a clone that he is. I believe Robots are programmed and not exactly subject to change. They run on an already existing programme. Project Tau possessed feelings and his entire character only portrayed him as an obedient being who eventually got an eye opener bringing about a change.
I agree. I guess my original post must not have been clear. I know he is a clone in the book. His mannerisms just made me think of the modern-day robots such as Sophie. I saw videos of this robot on Youtube and she is more real looking and sounding than I ever hoped to see a robot be! Clones can learn from their surroundings I suppose over time. I just think science is messing around with too much that they shouldn't be and in the long run will get more than anyone bargained for. Just saying!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

vermontelf wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 12:58 This goes back to mental development being more a physiological process (you will mature no matter what) and environmental process (you will mature as we demonstrate to you). It seemed completely believable that Tau had only matured as far as they let him until he was shown more worldly views. He did seem to learn quickly, which may have been less believable, but I was able to set that aside.
Right! Until Kalin came along he was taught only what the scientists wanted him to be taught and he didn't have anything else to compare it with.
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

zhenya_reads wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 12:35 I also felt like Tau was programmed and didn't know anything else. I wanted to cry when it was revealed that Tau was actually raped and from his reaction it was obvious that he had feelings and that those feelings got heavily violated.

I was also wondering how this would work if Kata never came to the facility and Tau would be sent out to work - would he eventually realize that he's been enslaved or would the programming last?
That's a great question! I think, as quickly as he learned from Kata, that he would have perhaps begun to realize how badly he had been treated.
B. Creech
SurroundedByBooks
Currently Reading: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-surroundedbybooks.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by SurroundedByBooks »

I didn’t feel he was like a robot. He was grown at the facility and all he had ever known was the way the scientists treated him. I think his personality would be incredibly bland and compliant without any outside stimulation. Yet, when he got the opportunity he showed his curiosity when he had a chance to ask questions of Kalin.
“You know, for kids!”
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

B Creech wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 18:24
zhenya_reads wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 12:35 I also felt like Tau was programmed and didn't know anything else. I wanted to cry when it was revealed that Tau was actually raped and from his reaction it was obvious that he had feelings and that those feelings got heavily violated.

That's a great question! I think, as quickly as he learned from Kata, that he would have perhaps begun to realize how badly he had been treated.
That is a great question, that I hadn't considered. I think perhaps he would have observed the "unfairness" but not known the concept of "fair" unless someone took him under their wing like Kata did.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

SurroundedByBooks wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 22:50 I didn’t feel he was like a robot. He was grown at the facility and all he had ever known was the way the scientists treated him. I think his personality would be incredibly bland and compliant without any outside stimulation. Yet, when he got the opportunity he showed his curiosity when he had a chance to ask questions of Kalin.
That is all very true. He was programmed, in a sense, to obey everything he was told because that is all he knew until Kalin came along and enlightened him.
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Realsy wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 11:11 I knew he was a clone so I thought of him as one. He was a full grown man that was grown in a vat. Tau had a brain that was not used enough yet. He was only a few months old and had limited interaction, memories, experience, etc. Once Kalin/Kata entered on the scene, Tau had access to knew ideas, opinions, etc. Tau was not being as abused as Kata because he was conditioned to listen so the handlers had no reason to hurt him until after Kata started making him question everything. Kata made Tau's life both better and worse.
Well said! I had not thought about him being only a few months old in his mind. His body was grown but he wasn't. Thanks for the insight!
B. Creech
Ari Martinez
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: Victoria's Choice
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ari-martinez.html
Latest Review: Finding A Way Forward by Karen Games

Post by Ari Martinez »

He definitely wasn't a robot, just someone who has never experienced anything different. A person's view of what is normal depends completely on his upbringing. Tau was taught to be submissive and loyal since the very beginning, that was his "normal." How was he supposed to know any different if no one else taught him? All Tau needed was someone to teach him otherwise and boom!
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

I don’t think the project was robotic. I would lean towards rightfully ignorant. He was basically a toddler in a young mans body from one vantage point. An organic product of his environment.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

Arimart99 wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 19:32 He definitely wasn't a robot, just someone who has never experienced anything different. A person's view of what is normal depends completely on his upbringing know any different if no one else taught him? All Tau needed was someone to teach him otherwise and boom!
You are right, and he was a quick learner! If Kalin hadn't shown up I wonder if Renfield would have eventually helped him in some way. He seemed to be the only decent scientist involved!
B. Creech

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”