College fraternities/sororities

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Re: College fraternities/sororities

Post by rahilshajahan »

Having studied in India, I have faced neither fraternities nor sororities. From my perspective and having watched countless American movies, I think Kalin is a little too extreme on wanting to be a frat-boy. So, it seemed a bit unrealistic.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Laura Britos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-victoria2002.html
Latest Review: The Last Time I Saw Alice by Richard Kirschenbaum

Post by Laura Britos »

leximutia wrote: 10 Apr 2020, 12:09 I studied in South Korea and never had any experiences regarding sororities, so my opinion of the whole fraternity/sorority Greek life has never been established. I can't ever imagine desperately wanting to enter one...
I also never attended any sororities or fraternities and most of my “knowledge“ about them is based on what American movies or tv shows portray. However, I have some friends on the States that talk about the more normal aspects of participating in greek like. Like fundraising events or parties. In my opinion, I do not think that fraternities or sororities are institutions as wild as films describe them. It is just a house in which people can participate, especially freshmen in order to feel like you belong somewhere and not feel isolated during your college experience.
Imstaci-1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imstaci-1.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Imstaci-1 »

All I know is what I see on TV. Generally speaking, a lot of people just want to fit in sometimes it unfortunately becomes desperate. Sometimes because of not having any self-worth, belief or confidence one might want another's life.
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I really don’t see how anyone’s wanting to be in a fraternity/sorority is any different from high school. Lots of kids want to be the most popular and belonging to a certain organization is the way to do it. Most kids in college are totally on their own and want to be liked.

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”