Nature vs Nuture

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
Gabrielle Sigaki
Currently Reading: Business Basics BootCamp
Bookshelf Size: 279
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gabrielle-sigaki.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Re: Nature vs Nuture

Post by Gabrielle Sigaki »

For me, Tau was mainly influenced by his nurture, when you grow up in a place where people only teach you what they want you to know and nothing else, it's really hard to make decisions only by yourself. Even when you have a lot of different sources of knowledge you are highly influenced by your nurture, despite nature. But that is an interesting question.
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

Nurture led to the way Tau is now. Want is more of a social phenomenon that occurs when others show you what you don't have.
jhunt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhunt.html
Latest Review: Rescued by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by jhunt »

The nature vs nurture debate has always been so interesting to me. For example, taking twins and raising them differently to see how much they are actually alike. I like to believe nurture has a slight advantage to someone's personality.
Mutai_
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mutai.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Mutai_ »

I believe Humans adapt to nature. Again, a human from the lab can be nurtured to fit an ecosystem. I give it nurture for Tau
Arwa_here
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-arwa-here.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Arwa_here »

I think Nurture was more prominent in Tao's case as as compared to Nature. Tao was told only what everyone thought he should know. Every little thing he did was nurtured. There was nothing left to Nature. I don't think he would have ever thought about his own wants if Kalin hadn't asked specifically.
Mary1214
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary1214.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Mary1214 »

I think Nurture was more evident in Tao's case in comparison to Nature. Tao was told was people thought he would need to know so ultimately it was nurture
Sally_Heart
Currently Reading: The Surgeon's Wife
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sally-heart.html

Post by Sally_Heart »

I believe that Tau would have discovered the meaning of want either way. It's the process of growth that makes us want more. Anyone that keeps accumulating experiences will always have a growth in their understanding which ultimately leads a person to understand the meaning of want.
victoriasimons
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-victoriasimons.html

Post by victoriasimons »

That's a really interesting question. I also side with those who place greater emphasis on nurture: I don't believe that we would naturally develop 'want' without a realisation that something is lacking. This realisation could probably only come from comparison with others. If this isn't provided, I don't think 'want' would naturally occur. For there to be natural aspects of our personality, there must be restrictions to our free will that cannot be adapted by changes to our environment, which I struggle with.
suky_z
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by suky_z »

What an interesting topic! I always think a lot about nature and nurture - are we innately the way that we are or are we crafted to be like this by our environment? I think we are fundamentally products of both, and that's what makes everyone so special and unique in their own way. There are some aspects of our personality that are inherent with us when we were born, maybe encrypted into our genetics; but our perceptions of the world, our beliefs, and our thought processes are heavily influenced by nurture. From our parents to our friends and everyone else we meet along the way - I feel that some parts of us are crafted and shaped by the people and environment around us.
InventorT
Currently Reading: One Way or Another
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inventort.html
Latest Review: Better Dead Than Divorced by Lukas Thanasis Konandreas, M.D.

Post by InventorT »

Irrespective of the fact that we are born with specific traits, I feel nurture brings out the traits that prevail. Just like a new born baby that is influenced by his/her parents siblings or friends, Tau was subjected to Obedience because that is the only way he was taught to behave so it’s only natural for him to feel “want” after being in contact with kalin
mariya1214
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariya1214.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by mariya1214 »

I think everyone has an innate tendency to want and we are all influenced by values and the people around us, For Tau it was nurture because of his surroundings
Teele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teele.html
Latest Review: More Hype Than Glory by Tom Hyde

Post by Teele »

I don't think the term nature can be be applied to Tau.
grgmrn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-grgmrn.html
Latest Review: The Bronze Bear Continues by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by grgmrn »

I think it is more of an interplay between nature and nurture than either one or the other.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

There is a scenario where he questions Denninson as to why he has to perform the training. This was before Kata's arrival. He already has doubts/wants but the cause-effect nature that the scientists nurtured in him surfaces at the first signs of danger. It just amplified when Kata arrived and he was free to ask all the questions he wanted to.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”