Project Kata relationship with Project Tau

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
jdsatosk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdsatosk.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Project Kata relationship with Project Tau

Post by jdsatosk »

For me, one of the key points in this novel is the point where Project Tau asks Project Kata how he is any different from the scientists. Aahhh! I love this. Project Kata has is one of the subjects being dehumanized by the scientists, yet he is also capable of dehumanizing his fellow sufferer! Project Tau catches him in this predicament with his question. Project Kata still tries to defend himself by saying the end justifies the means, but he starts to really question the way he treats Project Tau after that. This might be my favorite part of the book. What do you think about this scene or about the relationship between Project Kata and Project Tau?
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

I also love that Tau learned that questions are necessary. Questions are necessary in their environment (even though they got punished for it at times). I am so proud that Tau learned this from Kata, and I'm even more proud that he wasn't afraid to question his fellow Project who taught him in the first place!

The one thing that I do not enjoy about this is how Tau's character lost the solid innocence. For instance, in the second half of the book, I almost couldn't decipher Tau's lingo from Kata's. Mostly the slang threw me off. I wish that Tau maintained that... how do I describe it? Outward blankness to his features and slightly robotic/proper speech patterns? This is small potatoes, though.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
jdsatosk
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdsatosk.html
Latest Review: Homecoming by Jude Austin

Post by jdsatosk »

Sinclairess wrote: 17 Apr 2020, 11:26 I also love that Tau learned that questions are necessary. Questions are necessary in their environment (even though they got punished for it at times). I am so proud that Tau learned this from Kata, and I'm even more proud that he wasn't afraid to question his fellow Project who taught him in the first place!

The one thing that I do not enjoy about this is how Tau's character lost the solid innocence. For instance, in the second half of the book, I almost couldn't decipher Tau's lingo from Kata's. Mostly the slang threw me off. I wish that Tau maintained that... how do I describe it? Outward blankness to his features and slightly robotic/proper speech patterns? This is small potatoes, though.
While I did notice that Tau was using more and more slang, I guess that I just attributed it to his learning being very child-like in how he constantly asked questions and repeated what he heard from Kalin. I felt that his transformation of speech pattern was pretty expected since he wasn't allowed to converse with the scientists much (and their responses were probably pretty clinical and robotic) and he frequently conversed with Kalin. I felt the opposite as you I guess. I was proud of Tau when he start using profanities and slang against the scientists. The scientists wanted him to have that innocence - yet they tortured and violated him for no legitimate reason. So, I felt his newfound language was a small victory for him.
IchbineinBerliner
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ichbineinberliner.html
Latest Review: The Memoir Man by Frances Webb

Post by IchbineinBerliner »

I am looking forward to seeing how their relationship with each other changes as they get to the outside world. Tau, especially, is in for some surprises. I can't wait to read the sequel, Homecoming to see how well he manages.
NatRose
Currently Reading: The Eye of the World
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natrose.html
Latest Review: Who Was That Masked Kid by Dan Neiser

Post by NatRose »

I also very much appreciated this scene not only because it called out Kata, showing how easy it is for any of us to fall into dehumanizing some one, but also because it showed character development in that Tau was able to recognize that Kata was using him. At first it seems Tau may have just been taking Kata's word that the scientists were bad people, but now he has his own sense of morality by which to judge people's actions by.
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

NatRose wrote: 17 Apr 2020, 21:27 I also very much appreciated this scene not only because it called out Kata, showing how easy it is for any of us to fall into dehumanizing some one, but also because it showed character development in that Tau was able to recognize that Kata was using him. At first it seems Tau may have just been taking Kata's word that the scientists were bad people, but now he has his own sense of morality by which to judge people's actions by.
I think it showed the complexity of Kata’s situation and that he had to change his perception of Tau. Tau was more than he seemed and Kata was taking that for granted. Plus, as much as Kata May have denied it, for the longest time there was still that divide of I am a human and you’re not. So the calling out needed to happen.
Marlaszw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marlaszw.html
Latest Review: Flat Top Mountain Ranch -- the beginning by James E Doucette

Post by Marlaszw »

Yes, this was a great moment for both of the Project's. I just love the comlexity of the relationship in general. They are both what you could call socially awkward. And very different. But they bond because of their shared experience. They have something to offer each other. Project Kata's humanity is elevated because he has a friend he refuses to leave behind. And yet, sometimes he isn't a very good friend. All the depth of real human relationships!
Nath_chuks
Currently Reading: Worldlines
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nath-chuks.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Nath_chuks »

Tau really learnt from kata. I enjoyed his innocence though. Both project Tau and project kata learnt from each other.
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

Project Tau's innocence and how he quickly learned things is something i like about the book.

Kata however, was unified with Tau only by experience, not necessarily by form. So we saw flashes of his human side, wanting to control and manipulate Tau.

That question was some sort of rude awakening for Kata, he began to double think his actions towards Tau thereafter
brendanwhite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendanwhite.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by brendanwhite »

I also think this is a key, pivotal scene in their relationship. Without Tau asking this question and making Kata aware of his treatment, I do not know if they would have escaped together. Also, I wonder what Tau's intent was in asking this question... was he truly trying to make Kata step back and consider his treatment of him, or was it more out of curiosity.

I also like how after this scene Kata views his relationship with Tau differently. I feel like he stops telling stories and teaching Tau various things as "Oh, I am doing a great service for this person who can do nothing for me." to "Hmm, maybe I can learn something from Tau."
prowlingivy
Favorite Book: The Spirit of Want
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prowlingivy.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by prowlingivy »

I believe this was the turning point in the relationship between the two of them. Despite his attitude from the first encounter,it is evident that Project Tau is more humane than the outspoken Project Kata. He sees the other project as a way out despite the sacrifices already made by the latter. It's touching how Tau calls Kata to his hypocrisy.
Shelyce
Currently Reading: Childhood's End
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shelyce.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by Shelyce »

I actually teared up a bit at this point in the book. I really felt like it was a beautiful moment because Project Tau is demonstrating his own critical thinking skills and how human he is. On the other hand, the scene was a tear-jerker because Project Kata has to come to terms with the fact that he was willing to victimize Tau similar to how the scientist had. This scene in the novel also gave me a brother vibe, like they were having an intense argument, but they have gone through so much together, I doubt one would leave without the other.
I wonder what would have happened had Kata not admitted his wrong to Tau. :eusa-think: :eusa-think: I don’t think project Kata would leave Tau, but I also think Project Tau would have had no problem staying put and dealing with whatever consequences GenTech gave him.
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

I thought that project Tau and projecy Kata were very different. Tau had an innocence and even seems less harmful or even sweet at times. He seems to learn, pay attention and pick up things from others quickly, even slang. Yet here he seemed to demonstrate something of his own mind and independence and confirmed the differences between the two
Reading gives us somewhere to go when we have to stay where we are
JGretz-7
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: The Formative Five
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgretz-7.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JGretz-7 »

While you would expect Tau's questions to remain like that of a toddler, given his realistic age, the definite tone and insight changes as his relationship with Kata develops. Isn't that true of all humans? The more you know, the more questions you have. I think that Austin does this on purpose as Project Tau is treated as an animal being groomed to be a slave. By giving him human traits, she's ultimately posing the human ethics question.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

That was one of my favorite scenes too. Up to that point, Kata has been teaching Tau to be an individual and question his reality. At this point, it's like he has grown up and arrived at a point where he can even question his mentor.

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”