So Then What??

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Re: So Then What??

Post by ciecheesemeister »

I've read the second book, Homecoming, so I don't want to give any spoilers. I think the story really grows in Homecoming.
ZettieOby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by ZettieOby »

I do not believe clones should be awarded human rights because technically they are not humans and can pose a big problem to the society later on.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I think Tau and Kata continue to build their relationship. They have already bonded by being together in the same cell and working together to overcome their jailers. Since Tau is the beginning of a plan to create more projects, society would have to be educated about these projects. If there were enough social conditioning about projects; he could, eventually, receive his human status.
Odette Chace
Favorite Book: The History of Love
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 576
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-odette-chace.html
Latest Review: Everyday Pocket Poetry by LoAnn Twedt

Post by Odette Chace »

kljrox wrote: 18 May 2020, 16:35 I think clones should have rights also. They are exact copies of humans, so why not have rights. Tau is evolving and is capable of all human traits so far. I think they meet up eventually with Dr. Renfield's child.
I never considered that possibility. It would be nice to see Tau's reaction to a child!
Erandi Ekanayake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erandi-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Erandi Ekanayake »

This is an interesting topic and I enjoyed reading others opinions regarding it. I also don't think that giving human rights to clones is a good idea, because interfering into nature brings dangerous consequences at the end.
aruntr2001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aruntr2001.html
Latest Review: Theatre of Racial Conflict by Bunmi Popoola

Post by aruntr2001 »

A good thought ad, in my opinion, I would strongly believe clones would every right that a not human has. after all, it is going to live the very life of a human including the struggles and challenges being faced. Perhaps it is going to be tougher for a clone to live in this society than a normal human being.
Fem187
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fem187.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Fem187 »

Clone may have the mind of their own but the are still clones. It's difficult to accept them as humans and hands them rights of their own.
InventorT
Currently Reading: One Way or Another
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inventort.html
Latest Review: Better Dead Than Divorced by Lukas Thanasis Konandreas, M.D.

Post by InventorT »

I think clones should have same right as humans. They were made from human DNA so why not
NellyDee29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nellydee29.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (French Edition) by Peter Liptak
Reading Device: OverDrive

Post by NellyDee29 »

Even though Tau is able to fully function as human, I don't think he should be given human status. Clones are clones, and humans are humans. Tau should be given rights, but not same as humans.
Nwaogazie Goodness
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nwaogazie-goodness.html
Latest Review: The Harlem Story by Danny Holst

Post by Nwaogazie Goodness »

Nice idea. But giving a clone human right can be quite detrimental.
rahilshajahan
Currently Reading: Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rahilshajahan.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Flesh of the Mind by Matthew Tysz

Post by rahilshajahan »

Jajachris wrote: 25 Apr 2020, 09:19 I don't think a clone can ever be trusted enough to be granted human status. It's either Tau is human or a clone, there's no place inbetween.
There'll always be distrust from the human factor of the society, knowing that Tau is a project but can think for himself.

I think Tau ultimately has no place with humanity.

It will be nice to see what happens anyway
That might be true but most of the people, who know that Tau is a clone, are dead. If he manages to maybe dye his hair, attach some facial bio-mods and live under the radar, he can be seen as human and with Kata vouching for him in his home planet, I think it'll be all they need to make people think Tau is human.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." - Steve Wright
Laura Mich
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-mich.html
Latest Review: A Woman's Rise To Courage by Birgit T Klare

Post by Laura Mich »

Jajachris wrote: 25 Apr 2020, 09:19 I don't think a clone can ever be trusted enough to be granted human status. It's either Tau is human or a clone, there's no place inbetween.
There'll always be distrust from the human factor of the society, knowing that Tau is a project but can think for himself.

I think Tau ultimately has no place with humanity.

It will be nice to see what happens anyway
I agree with the first statement. You can't kill perpetrators and justify the actions claiming that you're half clone and half human. You have to stand out as one character.
Laura Mich
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-mich.html
Latest Review: A Woman's Rise To Courage by Birgit T Klare

Post by Laura Mich »

Until clones develop the human mindset and emotional attachment to their actions, they shouldn't be gifted rights that are equal to humans. You can't be half human and half clone, it's intolerable.
Jude Austin
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jude-austin.html
Latest Review: The Palm Reader by Christopher Bowron

Post by Jude Austin »

Laura Mich wrote: 13 Sep 2020, 09:50 Until clones develop the human mindset and emotional attachment to their actions, they shouldn't be gifted rights that are equal to humans. You can't be half human and half clone, it's intolerable.
You can't kill perpetrators and justify the actions claiming that you're half clone and half human. You have to stand out as one character.
Okay, I'm breaking my hands-off rule and sneaking onto this thread using my usual Author Stealth Mode here, because my curiosity has really gotten the better of me this time: where are you getting the half-human, half-clone thing?

The main point of the novel is that Tau, who is the only clone in the book (remember Kata and the human Kalin Taylor are the same person ;) ) does have a human mindset and emotional attachment to his actions, despite the scientists believing otherwise. That's why he only kills one person directly and - despite that person being the one who hurt him and Kalin/Kata the most - is humane and merciful enough to give him a quick death, thus proving himself to be morally superior to the human who tortured him and his best friend ;)

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”