So Then What??

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
jdraper16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdraper16.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

So Then What??

Post by jdraper16 »

Do Kata and Tau reconnect and build a friendship in their new realities? I think they do, and that Tau eventually proves himself and is awarded human status. What does everyone else think?
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

I don't think a clone can ever be trusted enough to be granted human status. It's either Tau is human or a clone, there's no place inbetween.
There'll always be distrust from the human factor of the society, knowing that Tau is a project but can think for himself.

I think Tau ultimately has no place with humanity.

It will be nice to see what happens anyway
Maconstewart
Favorite Book: East Wind, 2nd edition
Currently Reading: Black Beach
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maconstewart.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maconstewart »

I believe clones would definitely deserve human status, with the rights and responsibilities as any other human. I do believe that right would have to be fought for. They are exact copies of humans, and, tyerefore are basically humans themselves.
Lisa

My greatest accomplishment is that I raised two daughters that love to read.
:techie-reference: :techie-reference:
kljrox
Favorite Book: The Pentagon Years
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kljrox.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by kljrox »

I think clones should have rights also. They are exact copies of humans, so why not have rights. Tau is evolving and is capable of all human traits so far. I think they meet up eventually with Dr. Renfield's child.
"I promised myself that I would take the time to notice simple beauty every day."
Richard L. Haight
Reubeney
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reubeney.html
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Post by Reubeney »

This is an interesting thought and I also think it's nice to allow clones to have human rights.
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Post by Paige Alvarado »

I think that while Tau may never gain full human rights, he will still be able to walk freely on Kalin's planet. My best guess is that they will both live on Kata's family's land and Tau will continue to learn human ways while using his Project abilities to help when needed.
[Bree4521]
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bree4521.html
Latest Review: Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

Post by [Bree4521] »

I think they definitely rebuild their friendship, especially since all they really have is each other, and Tau knows this. I would even agree Tau can be seen as a human. However, I don't think Tau is able to fully function as a human, live as one, and make his own decisions. At first, he listens and solely understands things the way the scientists and doctors say and then the way Kata says. Only once he is around an array of people do I think he would be more human because he would be able to decipher life more for himself instead of what others tell him.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

I think Tau will have to go underground and get fake identification and pose as a regular human. The current society of the book is not ready to see him as an equal. Maybe he and Kata will start a civil rights movement. But, I think more than that they just want to be able to live a life without daily torture.
Bri C
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bri-c.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov

Post by Bri C »

This issue is really interesting to me. A few years ago, in college, I wrote a few papers on the definition of personhood (primarily focusing on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and academic research, as this book was not out yet), and the one thing I kept coming back to was that regardless of ethics, human beings have a bit of a superiority complex and don't tend to react well (as a group) to the thought of other beings existing that are equal or superior. So while I agree that Tau deserves rights, I think *if* he gets them, it would be a long, hard fight, much more akin to the American Civil Rights Movement than an immediate cultural shift.
kljrox
Favorite Book: The Pentagon Years
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kljrox.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by kljrox »

Good point on Tau having a long hard fight for equal rights. I think that he will try to hide the fact he is a clone and with Kata's help they would pass themselves off as enhanced humans. I still think that Dr. Renfield's child will have a role in their future.
"I promised myself that I would take the time to notice simple beauty every day."
Richard L. Haight
Faithful Oso
Currently Reading: Provoked To Anger
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Faithful Oso »

Why would you compare clones and humans?? Why would you want clones to have the same rights as humans?? They are photocopies of humans, they can't have the same rights.. With this been said, clones should have their rights but not the same as human rights. Tau deserves to has rights but not exactly the same with humans.
Kemmy11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemmy11.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Kemmy11 »

I support clones having rights but what I don't support is them having equal rights as humans because clones can never be 100 percent replica of humans. Also, the society will never regard them as humans but rather as human experiments.
ZettieOby
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by ZettieOby »

Nah, a clone can never be awarded a human status because they do not have souls and minds of their own.
Kemmy11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kemmy11.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Kemmy11 »

Giving a clone same right as humans is like a ticking time bomb as they can be used as agents of destructions by humans
Awesomeliker
Currently Reading: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-awesomeliker.html
Latest Review: The Demon of the Well by James B. Hendricks

Post by Awesomeliker »

This topic is very well depicted in Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. I would definitely recommend reading it, as it really explores the rights of clones. I believe that they should have as many rights as humans.
Live your life in a way that you won't look back and regret things :D

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”