Literary Devices, Subtle Imagery, Etc.

Use this forum to discuss the April 2020 Book of the month, "Project Tau" by Jude Austin
kdhutchinson
Favorite Book: Dayscapers
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdhutchinson.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Literary Devices, Subtle Imagery, Etc.

Post by kdhutchinson »

I was just writing a review for this book and something struck me as I was going through the characters. Austin does something very subtle with their naming; both Mason and Dennison are never given first names! At least, they never are as far as I can recall.

I found this so interesting because even the most minor of the other characters are given full names, and these are two of the most prominent. It almost seems like she is stealing a little bit of their humanity by not giving them first names (which is what they are doing to the clones!)

Anyway, I was curious what other subtle things like this everyone else may have picked up on? :tiphat:
“All this happened, more or less.”
-Kurt Vonnegut
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

Renfield is actually the name of Dracula's ghoul. There's a syndrome named Renfield syndrome that is an obsession with drinking blood.
I found that to be an interesting literary reference since he was as close to a hero as the book had. The person who is famed with helping the non-humans here was the champion on the human who others thought to be non.
Dreamer80
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamer80.html
Latest Review: How Trends Make You A Smarter Investor by Gabrielle Dahms

Post by Dreamer80 »

Oh my God! You're so right! I did not even realize this and it is such an important point for the plot. Thanks for enlightening me!
kdhutchinson

Post by kdhutchinson »

esp1975 wrote: 11 May 2020, 19:40 Renfield is actually the name of Dracula's ghoul. There's a syndrome named Renfield syndrome that is an obsession with drinking blood.
I found that to be an interesting literary reference since he was as close to a hero as the book had. The person who is famed with helping the non-humans here was the champion on the human who others thought to be non.
That is incredibly interesting and something I definitely wouldn't have caught. Thanks for pointing out the added layer of depth in her naming techniques!
-Kurt Vonnegut
kdhutchinson

Post by kdhutchinson »

Dreamer80 wrote: 13 May 2020, 00:15 Oh my God! You're so right! I did not even realize this and it is such an important point for the plot. Thanks for enlightening me!
Glad I could point it out for you! I often miss subtle things like this and think it is so fun. I like to think we're getting a glimpse at the author's process, even if it may be subconscious for them.
-Kurt Vonnegut
a_r_egerton
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-r-egerton.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by a_r_egerton »

I also noticed that Renfield was named after the character in Dracula -- and was surprised when he turned out to be one of the more sympathetic characters in the book.

"Kata", for the record, is also a word for martial arts exercises, and it struck me as a suitable name for a character altered to serve the military.
kdhutchinson

Post by kdhutchinson »

"Kata", for the record, is also a word for martial arts exercises, and it struck me as a suitable name for a character altered to serve the military.
I caught that as well, and I also thought it an appropriate name for a Project that has been modified for combat.

To be nerdy for a moment, I also found Tau's name interesting, since in the field I work in, Tau is often used to replace "2pi" when discussing circles, and much of this story is about changing or coming "full circle". Just a fun little tidbit!
-Kurt Vonnegut
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

If you ever wanted to remove someones identity, remove the name. Excellent catch.
rdrumsey
Favorite Book: Korian
Currently Reading: Shadow Eclipse Voyage
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rdrumsey.html
Latest Review: East Wind, 2nd edition by Jack Winnick

Post by rdrumsey »

I did think it was odd that the author used the name Renfield which I always associate as Dracula’s fly eating minion. By the end of the book, this Renfield had changed my opinion of the name. He became my favorite character, and I was sad he was killed.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Where's Baby, Momma? by Antoinette McDonald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

esp1975 wrote: 11 May 2020, 19:40 Renfield is actually the name of Dracula's ghoul. There's a syndrome named Renfield syndrome that is an obsession with drinking blood.
Thanks for jogging my memory on the name Renfield. I knew I had heard that name before, and I had some negative connotations associated with it. In one of the really old movie versions, this guy is so creepy.
Marty_Kelly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marty-kelly.html
Latest Review: Genetic Spurn - The Reality? by M. R. Coates - Rutgers Univ. GSM

Post by Marty_Kelly »

Nice observation. This makes me want to read the book. I like books with hidden motifs and symbols.
Jackie Holycross
Currently Reading: The 7 Experiment
Bookshelf Size: 306
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-teacherjh.html
Latest Review: 20 World Religions and Faith Practices by Robyn Lebron

Post by Jackie Holycross »

This might be a stretch, but a mason builds things and Mason created the whole company. However, he seems so clueless to me in his understanding of what's going on. 'Go catch them'. Really?
Abigail Peake
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-peake.html
Latest Review: Nadeems journey by Sherine Anniruth

Post by Abigail Peake »

a_r_egerton wrote: 18 May 2020, 10:56 I also noticed that Renfield was named after the character in Dracula -- and was surprised when he turned out to be one of the more sympathetic characters in the book.

I agree, In Stokers gothic 'Dracula' I cant help but feel sorry for Renfield. He is constantly abused and mistreated. Their characters do not match however they have subtle similarities
Rauli
Currently Reading: The darkest part of the forest
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rauli.html
Latest Review: Just Another Day by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Rauli »

kdhutchinson wrote: 18 May 2020, 15:12
I caught that as well, and I also thought it an appropriate name for a Project that has been modified for combat.

To be nerdy for a moment, I also found Tau's name interesting, since in the field I work in, Tau is often used to replace "2pi" when discussing circles, and much of this story is about changing or coming "full circle". Just a fun little tidbit!
I didn't know that! That's a very clever pun if it's intentional or a wonderful coincidence if it's not.
Rauli
Currently Reading: The darkest part of the forest
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rauli.html
Latest Review: Just Another Day by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Rauli »

Lady-of-Literature wrote: 19 May 2020, 16:27 If you ever wanted to remove someones identity, remove the name. Excellent catch.
Yes, it's a very good technique to erase individuality and sometimes can even dehumanise. There's a reason concentration camp victims were labelled with numbers --> to strip them of identity.

Return to “Discuss "Project Tau" by Jude Austin”